Capoeira

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been training in Capoeira for about a year and a half now, and it is by far the best full-body workout I've ever done. Since this is an app forum, I'll post a Capoeira relevant app here: Capoeira-Brazil Martial Arts. I haven't purchased the app myself, but from the one review it has you might be better off just downloading the YouTube app and looking up videos for free :) You can also find a list of Capoeira movements using the Wikipedia app.

Capoeira is often called a martial art, but it really doesn't fit in with the likes of karate and taekwondo. It's better described as a game, a physical conversation between two players, where "attacks" are questions and "evasions" are answers. If asked a question, a player must decide how to answer, or what movement to respond with. The back and forth of this conversation dictates the speed, difficulty and beauty of each game. The game is played in a circle of spectators (called a Rhoda, pronounced "Ho-da") who are in line to play, and a group at the front that plays instruments. Everyone watching sings traditional Brazilian songs to enhance the energy level of the game.

To a be a proficient Capoeirista takes flexibility, strength and skill. Not only is it fun to learn the kicks, dodges, acrobatics (don't worry, not a requirement!) and other movements, but when it all comes together in a game it is an absolute blast. Working out is much less of a chore when it's done to learn these amazing movements and to play friends in the Rhoda.

The following are a few examples of what actual games look like:
Contra Mestre Ninja and Contra Mestre Parafina - YouTube
2009 Axe Capoeira Roda - YouTube
Mestre Virgulinho e Mestre Pequines jogando - YouTube

If this looks difficult, that's because it is! Of course, nobody expects a beginner to start at this level of play. I'm not at the level of the players above just yet, but I'm working on it. If you're wondering how good Capoeira is for fitness, I regularly train with two Capoeiristas that have lost 120lbs between them in the last year. If you're wondering how fun it is, you'll have to try it for yourself! Google is your best friend when looking for a school near you. I mean, this is an Android forum right? ;)