Some of us members are not out of shape by being heavy. I'm sure there are plenty of skinny nerds that need some sun out there. I was just curious as to what these people are doing to try to get in better health, as well as add a few pounds of muscle to their mass?

I hope everyone keeps up the great work and remember that it's not just people overweight that need to stay healthy.

Greg
    02-22-2012 06:48 AM
    lmao, I was JUST posting on a site I run about going the opposite of other people. I'm one of these people, can eat like a horse, but don't keep on weight, been tall and skinny all my life. I am NO means a workout expert, but I like to think I've got the basics down.

Anyway, for people with ridiculous metabolisms like myself, and probably you, it can be tough. Partially because keeping caloric intake up means eating a lot, and partially because you're tempted to just eat whatever you want since the weight doesn't stick. You don't want to just eat craploads of calories, you'll just get fat, but you want to take in enough calories and protein to promote muscle growth. You also want to eat healthy, the right foods will promote the right types of growth and get you the results you want.

Starting to run/cycle or something will burn calories, yes, but it'll also improve your cardio, which helps when working out, and you'll notice muscle development in your legs pretty quickly. Burning off the fat also means that while you'll still be skinny, you'll start to see defined muscle more. Plus having good cardio will make you feel better, and the missus will enjoy it too.

From there, you gotta hit them weights. Low reps (I think at least 8 is the target), lift till muscle failure (this is key, lift slowly and till failure to build muscle). You can do something like P90X around the house, or join up at a gym. If you're shy about being around a bunch of meatheads bench pressing 6 times your weight, you can get a bench and dumb bells for pretty cheap at home to get started. If you go that route and decide to use a bar for bench presses make sure you either have a spotter, or get a bench that has a "spotting" feature built in! Can't stress that enough. You can also do pushups/pullups/situps to get going as well, plus for pushups you can add a backpack with stuff in it to increase weight.

Excersize/lifting aside, you'll probably want to get a weight gainer of some sort. The guys/gals at nutrition centers are usually pretty good at recommending something. I personally have 2 things I drink, a recovery drink after rides that's high in stuff to help my muscles recover (Endurox R4 Recovery Drink | Reduces Muscle Damage While Increasing Endurance), and a calorie/protein shake I drink usually in the morning (I eat breakfast too), and before bed (this is important, you grow when you sleep).

Finally, be realistic. I will always be slender, and I don't want to be a muscle bound freak, I just want to feel comfortable strolling around the beach with my shirt off. I'm personally shooting for another 10-15lbs of lean muscle, but I've already been told I have an awesome body, so that's a real confidence booster. Aim to fill out your frame, and don't worry about the other people you see who are really built, the key is to be well proportioned.

Good luck!
    02-22-2012 01:05 PM
    To gain weight, you have to eat foods and vegetables mostly,
    eat fast foods like meat, fish, chicken, and egg etc and doing less work..
    save energy..
    take rest after eating foods
    03-09-2012 11:00 AM
    To gain weight, you have to eat foods and vegetables mostly,
    eat fast foods like meat, fish, chicken, and egg etc and doing less work..
    save energy..
    take rest after eating foods
    San Diego Health Club
    03-10-2012 06:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD