CONTEST: Exercise MY way -- how I use my Android phone or tablet to stay in shape!

Rene Ritchie

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
February is fitness month at Mobile Nations, and you know what that means? we all get together to get in shape, share tips and tricks and recipes for success, review amazing apps and accessories, give away great prizes, and have a ton of fun!

This here is our Exercise MY Way contest. Simply tell us how you use your Android phone or tablet, to stay in shape. What are your favorite apps? What are your go to accessories for keeping fit? How does your device fit your active lifestyle? We want to know!

Write them out like a blog post. Yup, use paragraphs, list apps, list accessories, make it really helpful for anyone else interested in using their tech for exercise!

We'll post the best entries on Friday, so get them in ASAP! Need more incentive? We'll pick one winner a week and send them a $100 gift certificate!

What are you waiting for, start posting NOW!

Last edited:

traviswhayne

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I use my Epic 4G for tracking my food diary via the LoseIt App, and tracking my weight training and fitness routines via Fitness Buddy.
For my running/walking I use my Motoactv (love this little thing) and Runkeeper. Love having my tunes and fitness tracker all in one and having Runkeeper integrate with LoseIt is even better.

Best thing is since starting a fitness journey almost 8 mos ago I have lost over 63lbs and feel better than I did in my 20's.

pdl2mtl90

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I walk every day (depending on our schedules it may be in the A.M. or Evening) in order to stay in shape. We both use our Samsung Galaxy S3's in an armband we purchased on Amazon: Amazon.com: iGadgitz Black Neoprene Sports Gym Jogging Armband for Samsung Galaxy S3 III i9300 Android Smartphone Cell Phone (Compatible with all carriers incl AT&T, Sprint Nextel, T-mobile & Verizon Wireless): Cell Phones & Accessories. Works great although you have to take the phone out of any case you might use. We also purchased some of the "smartphone gloves" from Dick's Sporting Goods to use in the winter months. The app of chose for us is Endomondo Pro. Works fantastic for tracking our exercise. You can pick it up here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...bmRvbW9uZG8uYW5kcm9pZC5wcm8iXQ&token=Bo38Mevb.. (there is also a free version).

We both use Weight Watchers to help alter our eating habits. I have lost ~55lbs in the last year and she has lost ~40 lbs. We both have 10-15 more to go and with the help of our Android phones, we will get there in 2013!

gksmithlcw

Software Engineer
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I use an app called Calorie Counter from CalorieCount.com to track my Caloric intake, weight and activity every day. Also, when going for walks, runs or bike rides I use RunKeeper to track mileage.

I'd love to get some devices to plug into the phone and track things more thoroughly in the future but this is my daily regimen for the time being.

Crittias

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Noom, which tracks calories, weight, waist-size, and exercise. It's a pretty slick all-in-one. Lately, however, some of the exercise tracking has stopped working correctly (a robotic voice interrupts music every minute to tell you your distance or time, even if you set it to a longer interval or turn it off), so while I'm waiting for a fix, I've been using MyTracks to track walks, runs, and rides.

juggle

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
When Android Central did the whole February health month last year I laughed. I had zero interest in fitness. I was overweight but not really upset or concerned about it at all. I had a few exercise apps I'd acquired but really only used them for the occasional game of golf or family bike ride. Then at the end of last February an article mentioned MyFitnessPal and while I honestly had no interest in tracking calories I thought it may be kind of interesting to try just for the fun of it.

I had no idea how much that decision would change my life. Honestly last year at this time a friend suggested I run a 5k and I laughed at him. This past Saturday I ran my 4th 5k...with a head cold...and then walked 2 miles home from the finish line. I've lost almost 55lbs and gone from Obese to well within Normal weight for my height.

The first day I fired up MFP I found that I was eating almost double the calories it suggested I should be consuming in a day - and that was only halfway through lunch. I decided to try and follow its recommendations "for a week" just to see if I could. I was already tired all the time and was convinced that cutting back my calories like that would leave me even more tired. But in fact I found the opposite - I had MORE energy. I started taking my baby out on walks - trying to do a mile each evening.

Pretty soon we were up to almost 3 miles a day on our walks and I was finding it easier and easier to stick with my lower calorie meals. My plates were filling with more and more fruits and veggies and less and less unhealthy food. We no longer had snacks in the house other than fruit. Runtastic Pro went on sale and I upgraded to the full PRO version settling on it as my exercise tracker.

Those two apps have honestly changed my life. I don't use MFP nearly as obsessively as I was now that I hit my weight goal. But I find it did have the effect I was hoping it would and has changed my habits. I don't have to think about eating healthy now - I just do. My portions are smaller and I eat more healthy foods.

So I just want to toss out a big thanks to AC for doing this February thing. If it hadn't been for that post recommending MFP I never would have tried it and never would have made these lifestyle changes. Now I'm at a healthy weight, get more regular exercise, eat better and have a much easier time keeping up with my daughter! Seriously never thought following a phone blog could change my life like this but it has 100%!

tigerhoodz06

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Edomondo is great way to track my running, times, pace, and speed. Plus always using Play Music and the Sony Unlimited app to keep the music flowing.

shaggie04

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I like to run and ride a bike frequently. I keep things simple and use the MapMyRun and MapMyRide apps on my Galaxy Nexus to track my progress. Those apps are pretty great for tracking and sharing your routes and allow you to create and review routes online if you want. There are other features that are designed to help track food/calorie consumption, but I don't use those features. Google Play Music keeps me from getting bored on the longer runs and rides. I've got specific playlists for different activities and distances.

I'm currently following a half marathon training schedule and have a few races coming up over the next few months. For shorter, faster-paced training runs where the schedule specifies a pace, I typically hop on a treadmill and skip the MapMyRun app (don't need GPS on a treadmill, though the app has settings for a treadmill run), but I fire up Google Play Music to keep me energized. I find the treadmill is useful for quicker stuff because I can set the pace and just keep my feet moving. If I was out on the road, I would likely let my pace slip. On long runs, I'll step outside and I wear a Timex Global Trainer GPS watch to monitor pace and compare the results with the MapMyRun app. (The watch can be used to track swimming and cycling too, so it's great for aspiring triathletes.) The app tracks my route and tells me my average pace when I'm finished, while the watch shows me current pace during the run so I don't get off-track. Since the phone is tucked away, it's much easier to glance at the watch than the phone. It also helps me count down the mileage so I know when to turn around or stop! I would get way too bored on a treadmill on the long runs.

I keep my phone tucked inside a SPIBelt when I run, whether I'm on a treadmill or outside. It holds it tight around my waist without bouncing (sometimes a quick adjustment is needed if I don't get the pouch around the phone right). I position the phone with the screen facing out so that when I zip the pouch, the headphones cord slips out easily, and I run the cord inside my shirt so it doesn't bounce around in front of me and cause me to snag it with my hands. The screen facing out prevents any unintended interaction between my body and the screen. For instance, with the screen facing in, an incoming phone call will cause the screen to come on and the heat and pressure from my waist can result in accidental answering or launching of other actions (speaking from experience) - not to mention the sweat that can get through the pouch onto your screen. I have a pretty thin case, so I don't worry about sweat on the back of the phone and it isn't bulky inside the pouch. If I'm concerned about the zipper scratching my screen, sometimes I'll slip my driver's license in there as a buffer.

On the bike, I fire up Google Play Music and MapMyRide and throw my phone into a small Osprey backpack with a water reservoir and hit the trail. The app has different settings for different kinds of rides (mountain, road, etc.) and even different kinds of bikes (fixies, commuters, etc.). I typically ride a mountain bike, but have a road bike I'll ride at times. When I'm done, I can check the map and compare it to previous rides or pick my favorite routes to ride again. I mentioned the share feature too. Routes and times can be shared with friends across multiple platforms or kept private.

Clothing varies, but I wear a lot of Nike Dri-Fit stuff because I like the fit and Nike Free running shoes because they are ridiculously comfortable and lightweight and they breathe well. On the mountain bike, I'll wear comfortable but durable athletic shoes (I don't have a dedicated pair, just not my running shoes - those are just for running), and on the road bike, I wear a Specialized clip-in shoe (not necessarily the one in the link, but similar enough).

Good sunglasses are important, but I'm not loyal to a particular pair, just whatever blocks the rays and holds my head easily without the need for a strap of any kind. Polarized lenses are great because of glare reduction, but the lack of polarized lenses is not a deal-breaker for me. For some reason, I don't have the best luck with sunglasses and I go through them fairly quickly, so I don't like to spend a lot on them, just as much as is necessary to meet those criteria. Sometimes I'll need to shield my eyes on the trail or on a windy day even if the sun isn't out, so interchangeable lenses are a plus because I can switch to a lighter lens and still be protected from low limbs and sand in the air.

There you have it. I don't need much to get a lot of good exercise, and I don't need all of these things every time, but some things, like my GNex, have become necessity. Without a doubt, I'm a better runner and cyclist with these things than I would be without them.

P.S. - When I read this back to myself, I found myself reading it like the intro scene to American Psycho:

American Psycho - Intro to Patrick Bateman - YouTube

danman7

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I use 3 different apps, two more extensively than the other. I'm into weightlifting. I use JEFit to track my workouts and log my lifting progress. I tried several other weightlifting log apps and this one has been the best for me. It has an extensive database of exercises, plus you can add your own, if you need to.

The second app, is slightly redundant with JEFit, but I use the newly released Fitocracy app. If you haven't checked fitocracy.com out, I recommend it. It's a great way to get encouragement and accountability for exercising and getting fit.

Lastly, I occasionally run, and when I do, I really enjoy the Zombies, Run! app. It is a fun way to pass the time while running. It doesn't hurt that my name is in the game credits as an investor on Kickstarter.

Cheers all, and go out there and move!

racingbmwm3

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I use the Endomondo Pro app along with either the Play Music app or my stock music app for tunes while walking, running or riding my bike.

gligor_kot

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Endomondo Pro all the way. I use Endomondo to track my swimming distances and times, sadly I can't have my phone in the pool with me to track the laps for me although something like this would be helpful =P

Gspot82

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I use sports tracker to track my runs and fitocracy for the rest of my workouts. I am considering switching to runkeeper due to its fitocracy integration but I just really, really like the web dashboard on sports tracker.

Dimitrula

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I use my Samsung Galaxy S3 every time I go jogging. I am using endomondo to track my run, while my phone is staying comfortably in an arm band. The "audio couch" is ON so I can hear the Km I ran and what was my pace. The Peep Talk is also ON, so I can receive my sweetheart encouraging messages :)
I have the phone only for 2 weeks now, and I love that I can keep track of all my training, by bests and my worsts, and also sharing it with my friends.

Ponic

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm using my Evo 4G LTE to track my eating habits with MyFitnessPal. After losing a ton of weight, and seeing myself start to fall back into old habits, I thought using the app would bring some structure and accountability to continuing the weight loss. I'm also on week 4 of the C25K program, so I need me my tunes for my runs, which my phone also provides. I have Edomondo Pro, but have yet to really use it. One step at a time. Does anyone have any apps for recommending healthy meals/snacks?

polar135

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I use my android based Motoactv watch for pretty much all sports like running and golf along with the myfitnesspal to lose weight. I've also been using my hdmi out on my android tablet to view and workout with the 60 day Insanity program. I finished day 8 this evening. Thanks for the contest!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Jori5280

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I use My Fitness Pal on my Nexus 4/GNex to monitor my food intake. I use Endomondo Pro to track my workouts; which are typically an elliptical machine, stationary bike, row machine, and weight training. I use the Endomondo Pro app with a Polar Wearlink transmitter (w/ Bluetooth). I also use the Fitbit app. What's nice is that these apps sync with each other. Still about 10-15 lbs from my goal, but I'm down 50 lbs in about 2-1/2 years :)

wsmather

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
One use only, but very important. I plug my Galaxy S3 into the sound system and stream metal using Grooveshark or Slacker Radio. With LTE4 connection, there's never a hiccup. And the sound quality is outstanding.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1