App that will alert you when you sit for too long

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I had a Gear S that would alert me to when I was sitting for over an hour and would remind me to get up and walk around. At first I thought it was annoying but then grew to like it.

At any rate, I decided to go with the Moto 360 because of the better assortment with style and notice that it does not alert me when I am sedentary. Is there another app that would read the steps off of my Fitbit or Android Wear that might be able to do the same? I did download something from the app store for Android wear which was 1.99 last night but it did not work.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I had a Gear S that would alert me to when I was sitting for over an hour and would remind me to get up and walk around. At first I thought it was annoying but then grew to like it.

At any rate, I decided to go with the Moto 360 because of the better assortment with style and notice that it does not alert me when I am sedentary. Is there another app that would read the steps off of my Fitbit or Android Wear that might be able to do the same? I did download something from the app store for Android wear which was 1.99 last night but it did not work.
I'm taking a look around and don't see anything along those lines. I see fitness trackers, such as the Jawbone Up 24, which will do just that. I'll keep looking and post back if I find anything. If there's anything you find, feel free to share it as well.

ygenyk24

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I too would like to see an accurate and suitable Android app that would alert me to stand up. Unfortunately, it seems the Play Store has less than a handful of available options, none of which I would recommend. Best solution for now is to use a standing desk timer from a website. It can alert you when to stand up. Hope this helps!

iamthehunta

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I think its a great idea. Similar to the spoon that vibrates when you eat too fast. Get up and get moving, I think a lot of people could benefit from this idea.

12345notebook

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
The reason it's hard to make such an app is because it will obviously be based on movement sensor, not gps. So if you move your knees around a little (you definitely move around a little in your chair in the period of an hour) the app will think you're walking and wont tell you to stand up. On second thought, if you make a good movement minimum it should work. That's probably how the trackers work. Do the pedometer apps for android work good?

funky zoo

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
The reason it's hard to make such an app is because it will obviously be based on movement sensor, not gps. So if you move your knees around a little (you definitely move around a little in your chair in the period of an hour) the app will think you're walking and wont tell you to stand up. On second thought, if you make a good movement minimum it should work. That's probably how the trackers work. Do the pedometer apps for android work good?

I'm wondering how the gear s does it

janelawrence2016

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
Gosh totally agree. I need something that can really track and remind me how long i've been sitting. That'd help me make the decision to stand up and walk away from my desk at that time. Better still if it can work on my couch too....My company has some software installed in our work laptop that remind us in some fixed intervals to take breaks but a lot of times the reminder popped up just when I sat down. I have a Fitbit but most times these wearables wrongly determine sitting vs standing. I need something better than that. Any suggestion please let me know.