View Poll Results: Do you use a standing desk?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

2 50.00%
  • No, I'm not interested in one.

2 50.00%
  • I'm thinking of switching to one.

2 50.00%
  • I used to but don't any longer.

1 25.00%
  • I'm not sure it's right for me.

1 25.00%
  • What's a standing desk?

1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I've worked from home a long time, over a decade now, and have thought several times over the years about upgrading my office to a standing desk. I even tried a makeshift version for awhile, but never quite got the ergonomics right, and not being able to alternate from sitting to standing was annoying. But I think I'm ready to make the switch, once and for all!

So I'm wondering, do you have a standing desk? Why did you switch? If you don't use one, why not? All opinions welcome!
    10-30-2020 11:13 PM
    I've had to work at a standing desk in the past (I was working for 52 years when I retired). I hated every moment of it. I was doing software development for the last 47 years of working, and standing for 8 hours (except for lunch - some days) isn't my idea of fun. (I never actually "worked" - I went into the office, played with software - and got paid for it. Not "nice work if you can get it", "nice work because I planned it". If you enjoy what you do for a living, you'll never have to work.)

There were many times that I had to just lean back and turn my mind off to solve a problem. (The subconscious still keeps working at it.) At home I could watch TV, or take a nap (I'm great at napping at my desk), but in an office, the best I could do was lean back and "rest my eyes". Leaning back while standing on a hard floor is asking for a fractured skull.

So no, the desire never entered my mind. (And I'm not a chair potato - I'm 78 and weigh less than I did at 18, when I was muscle-bound. Deliberately. [A bit of starvation leads to a longer life - and I have every intention of having a 3 digit age.])
    10-31-2020 01:59 PM
    I've had to work at a standing desk in the past (I was working for 52 years when I retired). I hated every moment of it. I was doing software development for the last 47 years of working, and standing for 8 hours (except for lunch - some days) isn't my idea of fun. (I never actually "worked" - I went into the office, played with software - and got paid for it. Not "nice work if you can get it", "nice work because I planned it". If you enjoy what you do for a living, you'll never have to work.)

There were many times that I had to just lean back and turn my mind off to solve a problem. (The subconscious still keeps working at it.) At home I could watch TV, or take a nap (I'm great at napping at my desk), but in an office, the best I could do was lean back and "rest my eyes". Leaning back while standing on a hard floor is asking for a fractured skull.

So no, the desire never entered my mind. (And I'm not a chair potato - I'm 78 and weigh less than I did at 18, when I was muscle-bound. Deliberately. [A bit of starvation leads to a longer life - and I have every intention of having a 3 digit age.])
    I find your outlook truly inspiring.
    10-31-2020 02:21 PM
    I've had to work at a standing desk in the past (I was working for 52 years when I retired). I hated every moment of it. I was doing software development for the last 47 years of working, and standing for 8 hours (except for lunch - some days) isn't my idea of fun.

I totally get it! Standing all shift reminds me of my days in retail, not fun memories, hahah. I think it's important to be able to switch between standing and sitting so you can get those important breaks, and because some days we maybe don't feel our best and just want to sit!
    11-01-2020 01:04 PM
    At the age of 78, standing is the break, Michelle - then you sit and work again. I think I can remember not feeling "not my best" - that was a long time ago. Today I'm happy with "the pain's not too bad".
    11-03-2020 01:30 PM