Honor 5C: Is the Kirin 650 + 2GB RAM better than 3GB RAM?

Neelanjan Roy

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Since time immemorial (OK, maybe not that long), we have been going about debating whether a higher RAM count actually helps improve performance. Does 6GB of RAM actually help a device perform better than a device that is, say, having 2GB or even 1GB RAM?

In the grand scheme of things the answer will always be an obvious YES. A device having 6GB of RAM will definitely outperform a device having 1GB of RAM. Similarly, 8GB will outperform 6GB, 10GB will outperform 8GB, 12GB will…., you get the drift, right? :p

Unless you actually want to shell out a fortune to own a device that features such high RAM count, the real question that you must be asking yourself is how much RAM is really essential for a device to perform optimally?

But before that you must also ask yourself, what does RAM do exactly?

According to Jerry Hildenbrand from AndroidCentral, “RAM (Random Access Memory) is storage used for a place to hold data. It’s like a big filing cabinet that keeps things ready for the CPU in your phone to present it to your eyes and ears.”

He is also of the opinion that, “Android can manage memory rather well and having up to 300 percent more RAM does makes a huge difference. But don't worry about RAM or about how many apps are running on your phone because it just doesn't matter anymore.”

How can we weigh RAM as a measure of a device’s performance?

One way of measuring performance of any device is to run benchmarking tests on it. This was also exactly what I did with the Honor 5C. I installed AnTuTu Benchmark and Geekbench 3 on the device and set about to see how exactly the device stood in terms of performance.

This was what I found:

In terms of the actual benchmarking results, the Honor 5C scored 52,908 points in the AnTuTu test. This score was higher than that of the Moto G4 Plus which had managed to score 42,229 points.

View attachment 241349

In the Geekbench 3 test, the Honor 5C scored an overall single-core score of 908 and a multi-core score of 3966. The Honor 5C's single-core score was significantly higher than the score of the Motorola Moto X (669). The phone's multi-core score was also higher than the score of the OnePlus 2 (3849). :eek:

View attachment 241350

Now here’s the part where you actually need to start paying attention.

I mentioned that the Honor 5C outperformed the Motorola Moto X, Moto G4 Plus and the OnePlus Two in the benchmarking tests. Apart from the fact that these devices cost a lot more than the Honor 5C, the phones, except the Motorola Moto X, pack in more RAM than the Honor 5C (3GB/4GB in the Moto G4 Plus and 4GB in the OnePlus 2).

In comparison, the Honor 5C sports 2GB RAM. So how did it still manage to beat the other phones? The answer, like I said previously, is that RAM doesn’t really matter anymore. This holds especially true now that we have hardware that’s as amazing as the Kirin 650. :D

Based on the revolutionary 16nm FinFET Plus Process technology, the Kirin 650 is definitely the defining edge when it comes to hardcore performance. It is the incredible combination of a 16nm SoC and 2GB RAM that helps the Honor 5C outperform even the best of ‘flagship’ smartphones!

Last edited by a moderator: