So we all know the Honor 5X is a great looking phone to get in the $200 category. The only real snag is Honor's EMUI skin. So, has anyone flashed a custom ROM on it making it a winner all-around?
    02-04-2016 01:37 AM
    So we all know the Honor 5X is a great looking phone to get in the $200 category. The only real snag is Honor's EMUI skin. So, has anyone flashed a custom ROM on it making it a winner all-around?
    02-04-2016 01:53 AM
    Welcome to Android Central!

I believe the guys over at XDA just got TWRP installed on the phone. It is only a matter of time now for custom ROM's to start popping up.
    belodion and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-04-2016 07:11 AM
    My issues were more with EMUI's power and memory management. The UI is fine.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-04-2016 08:35 AM
    I'm not going to.
    02-04-2016 11:52 AM
    I never liked rooting my daily driver. I prefer the stability of stock. Sure some roms can work well but others not as well.

I think that just installing a launcher would help a lot for my user experience.
    Ry likes this.
    02-04-2016 12:20 PM
    Install nova launcher just like I do on all my phones.

Ian B
    02-04-2016 03:46 PM
    Well, the phone is set up to prioritize battery life over everything (which is fine). I'm curious to see how just a custom kernel that loosens things up a bit more will perform. The 615 is a lot more powerful than it seems due to the power saving measures. We'll get kernels that will run with EMUI quicker than full AOSP ROMs.

I mean, the 615 does have the potential to be similar in performance to the SD800. Both processing and graphics... Now, getting there will of course reduce the battery life a bit. But that might be an acceptable price to pay for some.
    02-04-2016 10:07 PM
    Well, the phone is set up to prioritize battery life over everything (which is fine). I'm curious to see how just a custom kernel that loosens things up a bit more will perform. The 615 is a lot more powerful than it seems due to the power saving measures. We'll get kernels that will run with EMUI quicker than full AOSP ROMs.

I mean, the 615 does have the potential to be similar in performance to the SD800. Both processing and graphics... Now, getting there will of course reduce the battery life a bit. But that might be an acceptable price to pay for some.
    I have the blu vivo xl, and it feels about on par with my note 3 which had the snapdragon 800. The blu vivo xl has the mediatek equivalent of the 615 .
    02-05-2016 07:21 AM
    I don't mind emui myself as I'm used to no separate app dearer, if I do want something off the home screen I just hide it and use a zoom out gesture to get to it

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-09-2016 08:04 AM
    I have unlocked the bootloader,c installed twrp, rooted, and debloated.... However the ram management restrictions ended up slowing the phone even more instead of sourcing things up, so I had to reload all the full " bloat"... Then inhaled nova and customized it to my needs, still has some slow downs though. Excited to see what development will do for the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-09-2016 09:37 PM