Not able to set default launcher

BigTime21

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Anyone else not able to set a default launcher? Every time I tap the set Nova to default the screen just flashes and nothing changes. I tried other launchers and tried using Home Switcher but Huawei Home launcher stays defaulted.

Thanks in advance for any help.

sprof

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
When you click on Nova it should bring you back to your home screen. Open the app drawer then click on Nova settings. Once in Nova settings scroll down and you'll see the option to make Nova your default launcher.

BigTime21

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
That's what I mean. When I click that option the screen just flashes and doesn't make it the default launcher. Something is overriding it or causing it to bug out.

kernmal

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else not able to set a default launcher? Every time I tap the set Nova to default the screen just flashes and nothing changes. I tried other launchers and tried using Home Switcher but Huawei Home launcher stays defaulted.

The settings changed a bit with the Marshmallow/EMUI 4.0 update, but on Marshmallow:
Settings>Apps>Advanced>Default App Settings>Launcher>and make your choice.

I don't remember the exact path under Lollipop.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nova doesn't work on my 5X, which is stuck on Lollipop. When I tried to use it, I got a Huawei error message (not a standard Android system error message) warning me that it was causing a lot of instability. Hopefully the Marshmallow update actually fixed this problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'll try again. Are you using the free Nova, or Nova Prime? I use the latter, so I wonder if that could make a difference.

BigTime21

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I'm using the free app and it works for the most part. The only thing I can't seem to get to work is weather widget to show the weather. It is only showing the time. On the default launcher it shows time and weather. Both launchers though won't show weather on the lock screen. Not sure if it's just my phone and I should return it or if other people have this issue.

AndroidUser29

Jan 25, 2018
Visit site
Pretty sure you already fixed your problem, but what I did for this problem on my S7 Edge was I went into Touchwiz & Touchwiz Easy apps (these are the Samsung pre-installed stock launchers) and forced stopped/disabled them both. When you are doing that make sure you turn the Notifications OFF on both of those, as well!
I then went into my favorite downloaded launcher app (CM Launcher) and set it as default (if it won't let you do that, no worries) because either way, well at least for me this was true, the next time you hit the home key it will ask you to once again to select your default launcher... Select and Pick ALWAYS...
Now it should NOT keep asking you from that point forward (yet some things you open for the first time after that, such as email) may ask you one more time... But hopefully it should solve the problem for future use!! Hope this helps.

Bhargavi poodi

Mar 14, 2018
Visit site

I have also the same problem but micromax
cant update latest Android marshmallow plzzz help me

Last edited by a moderator:

Myphone W7

Mar 18, 2018
Visit site
Just help me how to change launcher on my lephonew7 as it does not able to change any other launcher

Who can help about this problm

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try this:

1. Install a 3rd party launcher like Nova.
2. Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu, and then Reset All App Preferences (if available).
3. Tap the Home button. Does it give you an option of which launcher to use to complete the action? If you see Nova, select it, and tap Always.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams