Android security patches

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in purchasing a 6X from Best Buy for $149, but I'd like to know what version of the Android security patch has been pushed to it. My T-Mobile LG G6 received the October patch a few weeks ago. Thanks!

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I think they are slow to push out updates to US variants. Looks like the Asian variants are up to at least August security patch updates. My MediaPad M3 is still on the May security patch.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, that’s less than encouraging... I checked out the display model at Best Buy this afternoon and it’s an impressive phone for the price, but the lack of security updates might keep me from buying it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, that’s less than encouraging... I checked out the display model at Best Buy this afternoon and it’s an impressive phone for the price, but the lack of security updates might keep me from buying it.
I certainly understand. We have no idea how honor plans to support this phone but it's predecessor was very very slow to get updates

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I certainly understand. We have no idea how honor plans to support this phone but it's predecessor was very very slow to get updates
That’s unfortunate. They’re such good phones in many other respects, but that’s a dealbreaker for me. I’m considering the LG Q6 (which may be equally bad with respect to updates, but has dual SIM and a micro SD, which is something I’ve never seen in a mid-tier phone) and the Nokia 6.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That’s unfortunate. They’re such good phones in many other respects, but that’s a dealbreaker for me. I’m considering the LG Q6 (which may be equally bad with respect to updates, but has dual SIM and a micro SD, which is something I’ve never seen in a mid-tier phone) and the Nokia 6.
Oh dual sim and sd card are rare

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Oh dual sim and sd card are rare
Yes! Of course, it’s also $299, and the Nokia is $229, both of which are substantially higher than the current sale price of the 6X.

You’re sorta helping me talk myself into the 6X after all. It’s darned cheap, which almost excuses lack of security updates.

This issue is my pet peeve about Android... my Apple devices are updated promptly and supported for quite a few years. The iPhone 5S was released in 2013 and just received iOS 11. Do even Nexus/Pixel devices receive updates 4 years after release?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes! Of course, it’s also $299, and the Nokia is $229, both of which are substantially higher than the current sale price of the 6X.

You’re sorta helping me talk myself into the 6X after all. It’s darned cheap, which almost excuses lack of security updates.

This issue is my pet peeve about Android... my Apple devices are updated promptly and supported for quite a few years. The iPhone 5S was released in 2013 and just received iOS 11. Do even Nexus/Pixel devices receive updates 4 years after release?

Google promises 2 years software updates for all pixel and nexus, except the Pixel 2 which is 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke