Honor 7x to be unveiled Oct 11th!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ha true. Anybody have any experience importing phones? Not that I'm planning to, I just see deals come up all the time and am curious about the process of buying on these sites.

I'm glad you asked! Yes I have done it, I got a Mi Mix from Gearbest without issue, also I traded for an International Mate 9 a couple months before the US release. In both cases I knew ahead of time that the devices had LTE in the US. In the case of the Mate 9 all LTE bands from T-Mobile (except the newest that no one has), and in the case of the Mi Mix while it did not have band 12, it did have 2 other T-Mobile LTE bands and I almost always got a good LTE signal.

You need to check what radios/frequencies the device has BEFORE you import it, and you must accept what it has. Additionally there will be no US warranty, and returning the device will be difficult if not impossible.

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm glad you asked! Yes I have done it, I got a Mi Mix from Gearbest without issue, also I traded for an International Mate 9 a couple months before the US release. In both cases I knew ahead of time that the devices had LTE in the US. In the case of the Mate 9 all LTE bands from T-Mobile (except the newest that no one has), and in the case of the Mi Mix while it did not have band 12, it did have 2 other T-Mobile LTE bands and I almost always got a good LTE signal.

You need to check what radios/frequencies the device has BEFORE you import it, and you must accept what it has. Additionally there will be no US warranty, and returning the device will be difficult if not impossible.

Gotcha thanks for the info. This is really helpful. Do these phones usually come in other languages? And if so how easy is it to switch it to English?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure the importers like Gearbest and Aliexpress will have it for those who JUST can't wait. ;)
The question is does it support usa lte and features like volte, wfc, etc. I am sure they are all quad band gsm so technically it would work but internet could be really slow.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The question is does it support usa lte and features like volte, wfc, etc. I am sure they are all quad band gsm so technically it would work but internet could be really slow.

True true. :) You need to check specifically. SOME phones support some or all of the US LTE bands, but often there are no US LTE bands. As for VoLTE and WiFi calling, often/sometimes T-Mobile supports it on those phones, BUT AT&T almost NEVER does. At least this has been my experience. The key is to check BEFORE you buy and then be satisfied with what you are getting. When I bought my Mi Mix, I did just that. I knew it was missing band 12, but I was ok with that since it had the other LTE bands and WiFi calling DID work. :)