Debate: Is the 7X the best $200 smartphone?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Thought this would make a fun topic. Do you think the 7X is the best $200 smartphone out there? If yes, WHY? If not, which one is, and WHY?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No. Moto G5+. Huawei still hasn't stopped being Huawei on the privacy and security front. As soon as that changes, they will be able to have a real competition against the Moto G line.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is a tough call. Just on specs, I would say le max2 which has the snapdragon 820,6gb ram, QHD display, 64gb internal. But you are only buying for the hardware.

Software support is tricky on Huawei too... The 5x was abandoned, and multiple reports of people on the 6x and even mate 9 on April patch, although some are able to get more recent patches. Still, consistency is an issue.

Based on looks though, the 7x is definitely the sleekest at $200. Specs are good as well.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a workable $150.00 phone.
Looks good and has the bigger screen going for it.
Everything else is 2016 and like dpham indicates update support may not be available for certain regions.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Huawei software support is what is the Achilles heel here.
My tablet is still on the May 2017 security patch. I mean they can't even push out security patches once in six months.

Now Moto might be slightly better but they also tend to abandon their phones in terms of OS upgrade. I am not too sure if they keep pushing out security patch updates at a regular interval or not.

On paper the 7x is a solid device and Huawei cameras tend to be better than Moto.

I would say it is probably an even split between with a slight advantage to the Moto.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
For the average customer monthly security patches isn't what they're looking into when purchasing a phone especially at this price point.

Now specs alone between Moto G5+ vs 7x. Probably the 7x imo. bigger display, bigger battery, dual camera, ir blaster over the G5+

Software Support though. I'm not sure really. Huawei ditched 5x. Moto delayed Moto X Pure Nougat a whole year later. And Moto do tend to abandoned their phones after a while. Like only the G4 Plus will get Oreo while the regular model will not

Last edited:

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
No. Moto G5+. Huawei still hasn't stopped being Huawei on the privacy and security front. As soon as that changes, they will be able to have a real competition against the Moto G line.

I couldn't have said it any better!

And if you're on T-Mobile in the US, they don't have full coverage of the frequencies needed to get the most of of their network... Moto, for example, covers Band 66, and Huawei/Honor don't - not even the flagship Mate 10/10 Pro.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
For the average customer monthly security patches isn't what they're looking into when purchasing a phone especially at this price point.

That's true... it's an attractive, high-quality piece of hardware for $200, and lots of folks looking for phones in that price range aren't concerned about software support.

But I'd still say that the Moto G series are the best phones in this price range, regardless of what people actually end up buying.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Huawei software support is what is the Achilles heel here.
My tablet is still on the May 2017 security patch. I mean they can't even push out security patches once in six months.

Now Moto might be slightly better but they also tend to abandon their phones in terms of OS upgrade. I am not too sure if they keep pushing out security patch updates at a regular interval or not.

On paper the 7x is a solid device and Huawei cameras tend to be better than Moto.

I would say it is probably an even split between with a slight advantage to the Moto.
Which Huawei tablet do you have?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Now specs alone between Moto G5+ vs 7x. Probably the 7x imo. bigger display, bigger battery, dual camera, ir blaster over the G5+

Software Support though. I'm not sure really. Huawei ditched 5x. Moto delayed Moto X Pure Nougat a whole year later. And Moto do tend to abandoned their phones after a while. Like only the G4 Plus will get Oreo while the regular model will not
The other issue is warranty. I haven't had any first hand experience, but a few members here said that warranty service was very difficult. Moto isn't great but they had to pay millions after people sued them for their warranty practices and so supposedly they are better now.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't have said it any better!

And if you're on T-Mobile in the US, they don't have full coverage of the frequencies needed to get the most of of their network... Moto, for example, covers Band 66, and Huawei/Honor don't - not even the flagship Mate 10/10 Pro.
What about volte and wfc?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's true... it's an attractive, high-quality piece of hardware for $200, and lots of folks looking for phones in that price range aren't concerned about software support.

But I'd still say that the Moto G series are the best phones in this price range, regardless of what people actually end up buying.
It's probably the most well rounded phone for sure. The honor 7x has specs but the rest is iffy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm