Google Photos "Free up space" doesn't work

LikesCookies

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
When I used an Honor 5X, the "free up space" feature of Google Photos worked very well. I can't get it to work on my Honor 7X. Google Photos says that all photos are backed up and if I visit my Google account, I can see them all. However, when I tap "Free up space" I see the message "Use free up space when items are backed up and can be removed from your device." I've uninstalled and reinstalled Google Photos, but that hasn't helped. Any suggestions?

Oh, I forgot to mention that I keep my photos on an SD card, not in main memory. That was true on the 5X as well, though.

LikesCookies

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the permissions are granted to both read and write the SD card and internal storage and Photos backs up the gallery. It just won't free up the space.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the camera set to save photos to the SD card by default, or are you moving them yourself? If you manipulate the files after they've been backed up, it may be that Google Photos loses track of the locally saved file, and therefore won't delete it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As a test, see what happens if you start saving the photos to Internal Storage by default. Does Google Photos free up space appropriately then?

Also, is the SD card formatted as Internal Storage or Portable Storage (if that's an option at all)?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie