Honor 8 Design Discussion: Voice Your Opinion!

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
My phones need to have color choices aside from the black and silver. The Idol 3 only comes in black. That is what that means.
Oh I see. Is there a particular reason? I know black and white is boring, but if the phone is good then maybe a fashionable case can make up for the lack of design...

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Oh I see. Is there a particular reason? I know black and white is boring, but if the phone is good then maybe a fashionable case can make up for the lack of design...

It's just personal preference. My first phone OS is Windows Phone. I still adore it in a general sense but I don't know how familiar you are with them. They are known for having colorful backs naturally. Going from orange, green, red and blue to just black is a big shock to me.

A case is not enough for me. I love having a color in the sea of black and silver phones!

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
It's just personal preference. My first phone OS is Windows Phone. I still adore it in a general sense but I don't know how familiar you are with them. They are known for having colorful backs naturally. Going from orange, green, red and blue to just black is a big shock to me.

A case is not enough for me. I love having a color in the sea of black and silver phones!
Ah yes. The Windows Phone. It could have been great, but instead it flopped...

Have you looked into the Nextbit Robin? The HTC 10 also includes a red version.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site

I just thought of this. I'm not sure if you own an Honor 5X, but if you do, there is also a third-party Rose Gold colored back available on Amazon. B01I1S0LH4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471714328&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=honor+5x+battery&dpPl=1&dpID=416zMTXo4JL&ref=plSrch

It costs $16 and requires you provide your own screwdriver.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
A question here...about software.

Will the h8 have the full screen rotation like the h5X?
I like this because when I stream with Napster on the 5X I can flip the phone upside down and puts the headphone jack on the bottom.

I know the h8 has the jack on the bottom yet this full rotation is handy for stuff like mounting in a vehicle or on bike handlebars.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm not quite sure but I would expect the two phones to share a lot of code, so I wouldn't be surprised if it did. How are you getting that to work on the Honor 5X? Everything flips upside down for me except the lockscreen, so I can't really use it upside down on a regular basis...

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Lock and homescreen don't flip.
All the apps I use flip holding the phone in any position.
The camera flips of course, yet the buttons don't switch sides when held upside down which is good for shooting left handed.

Only reason I noticed this was because when first using the phone I thought the audio jack was on the bottom until I noticed I was holding the phone upside down.
I almost went for the Alcatel Idol because it's a feature that phone has.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Ah yes. The Windows Phone. It could have been great, but instead it flopped...

Have you looked into the Nextbit Robin? The HTC 10 also includes a red version.
I have and I have actually owned it a few times. I love the Mint version the most, but the size and general handling got to me. It's pretty big for a 5.2" device. :( HTC 10 having the red option is nice, but that price isn't nice for me, even with the $100 off.

The size thing is another reason why I am interested in this phone. Somehow they fit a 5.2" screen, but yet it is shorter than the Nexus 5x (and Robin, by the way) and slimmer in width over the Robin and the Lumia 950 I have tried recently. Also more screen is awesome.

I just thought of this. I'm not sure if you own an Honor 5X, but if you do, there is also a third-party Rose Gold colored back available on Amazon. B01I1S0LH4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471714328&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=honor+5x+battery&dpPl=1&dpID=416zMTXo4JL&ref=plSrch

It costs $16 and requires you provide your own screwdriver.
Thanks for the suggestion. I passed on it because of size, but I appreciate it.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I have and I have actually owned it a few times. I love the Mint version the most, but the size and general handling got to me. It's pretty big for a 5.2" device. :( HTC 10 having the red option is nice, but that price isn't nice for me, even with the $100 off.

The size thing is another reason why I am interested in this phone. Somehow they fit a 5.2" screen, but yet it is shorter than the Nexus 5x (and Robin, by the way) and slimmer in width over the Robin and the Lumia 950 I have tried recently. Also more screen is awesome.

Thanks for the suggestion. I passed on it because of size, but I appreciate it.
Lenovo Moto is also pretty customizable...

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Lenovo Moto is also pretty customizable...
If you meant the Moto G4, it's too big for me. The g3 is a non-starter for me, because it lacks a much needed band in my area for my carrier. At this point, I have tried everything within my personal price range and that interests me. The Honor 8 is all that is left for me.

I'm not waiting so much for the new smaller Nexus, but since the rumors keep adjusting, I'm not putting much stock in it. I can put stock in the Honor though.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
If you meant the Moto G4, it's too big for me. The g3 is a non-starter for me, because it lacks a much needed band in my area for my carrier. At this point, I have tried everything within my personal price range and that interests me. The Honor 8 is all that is left for me.

I'm not waiting so much for the new smaller Nexus, but since the rumors keep adjusting, I'm not putting much stock in it. I can put stock in the Honor though.
Ah, that makes sense. Soon, the Samsung Galaxy s7 is probably going to be discounted down to around $400, so maybe waiting a bit for those discounts would be a good idea. (That's my personal plan, at least)

Honor 8 Report 8-20-2016 is out!

Last edited by a moderator:

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
No, the Honor 8 will not work on Verizon. Verizon, Sprint, and RingPlus are all CDMA carriers, and the Honor 8 is a GSM phone. Some GSM carriers that will work with the Honor 5X are AT&T, Straight Talk, T-Mobile, Freedompop, Ting, and Simple Mobile.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
^I did... Was hoping to find a newer phone to work with CDMA carriers (Sprint and/or Verizon), as I have a backup line on RingPlus that runs on Sprint. Too bad even if the phone have the CDMA radio, the carriers need to approve it....