08-26-2016 06:18 PM
54 123
tools
    What do you think of the 15-layered glass? Is it a buzzword? An innovative design? A gimmick?
    How about those volume and power buttons all on one edge?
    Is it too much like that Korean device everyone is comparing it to?
    Will the design win you over, or do you need specs to back it up?

Voice your opinion in the comments!
    samix and Nathan Hackman like this.
    08-18-2016 06:36 PM
    I think the glass, while striking is a little gimmicky. Once you throw a case on, all the work put into 15 layers of glass is covered up. But I've never held one and seen it in real life, up close, so maybe my opinion would change with some hands on time.
    Don't mind the buttons on one edge. The design caught my eye when I first saw it here on AC, thin and refined, no extra, unnecessary parts to the frame.
    I think the back of it looks great with the simple ring for the FP reader and the two dots for the cameras.
    10% form and 90% function when I'm choosing a phone. My Note 3 isn't the most ergonomic phone to hold, the back cover with fake lacing is super ugly but the insides still perform nicely considering it's 3 years old.
    What kind of phone are you using Lumi?
    libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    08-18-2016 06:50 PM
    I don't care for the glass that much but it is nice though. I really like the design itself. Everyone saying that it looks like whatever is pointless. Most phones look similar to others. Those curves though are really nice.

Sent from mTalk
    08-18-2016 07:04 PM
    I think the glass, while striking is a little gimmicky. Once you throw a case on, all the work put into 15 layers of glass is covered up. But I've never held one and seen it in real life, up close, so maybe my opinion would change with some hands on time.
    Don't mind the buttons on one edge. The design caught my eye when I first saw it here on AC, thin and refined, no extra, unnecessary parts to the frame.
    I think the back of it looks great with the simple ring for the FP reader and the two dots for the cameras.
    10% form and 90% function when I'm choosing a phone. My Note 3 isn't the most ergonomic phone to hold, the back cover with fake lacing is super ugly but the insides still perform nicely considering it's 3 years old.
    What kind of phone are you using Lumi?
    Same for me! I would rather have a thick phone with a sliding keyboard if it had the best specs amd a great battery than a thin phone that's seriously underpowered, but I think finding that balance is what the Honor 8 has really managed to do well. I'm currently using an Honor 5X, as I'm doing a beta test on it, but I also own an LG Tribute, LG Volt (which was my crowning masterpiece with CyanogenMod, root, TWRP, and Xposed), Honor 8, Samsung Galaxy s4, Samsung Galaxy Legend, an Amazon Fire, Amazon Fire HD 6 and 7, and Amazon Fire HDX (I love the low cost of Fire tablets as they are relatively easy to flash CyanogenMod on).
    Nathan Hackman likes this.
    08-18-2016 08:40 PM
    I don't care for the glass that much but it is nice though. I really like the design itself. Everyone saying that it looks like whatever is pointless. Most phones look similar to others. Those curves though are really nice.

Sent from mTalk
    I agree! Will you be pre-ordering?
    libra89 likes this.
    08-18-2016 08:41 PM
    I agree! Will you be pre-ordering?
    I'm on the fence. Since I see that the code thing ends on Sept 3, I'm hoping that there will be some reviews (from Android Central, and my usual tech people/sites) before that time so that I can decide if I should or not. I have only seen two and they were both good. I'll rather wait and see really.

I was about to do that for the Xperia XA but I'm glad I didn't because that battery life is sorry!
    08-18-2016 08:46 PM
    I'm on the fence. Since I see that the code thing ends on Sept 3, I'm hoping that there will be some reviews (from Android Central, and my usual tech people/sites) before that time so that I can decide if I should or not. I have only seen two and they were both good. I'll rather wait and see really.

I was about to do that for the Xperia XA but I'm glad I didn't because that battery life is sorry!
    Yes, I agree. However, I am also considering the Galaxy s7, as the price will probably be discounted to around $430 in the fall...
    libra89 likes this.
    08-19-2016 07:56 AM
    Based on the pictures and videos I've seen, this phone looks like it should be $700 instead of $400. Good job Honor.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-19-2016 12:00 PM
    The layer glass design definitely sounds interesting and a worthy masterpiece of design that might have costed more on other phones. Definitely interested in this phone.
    08-19-2016 12:05 PM
    I do agree that Honor has really competitive prices, but my personal opinion is that phones shouldn't be over $400 in the first place, especially when they will most likely be replaced within a year or two.
    libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    08-19-2016 02:37 PM
    Yeah, that layered glass looks really good, though I wonder if that will result in more people breaking the phone as they would choose to show off the design instead of buying a case, or only get a clear case with minimal protection. Honor does offer one free glass repair for three months after your purchase, so I'm thinking I might risk going caseless for those three months, then get a good case... XD
    08-19-2016 02:39 PM
    Honor does offer one free glass repair for three months after your purchase
    Didn't know that, pretty rad bonus!
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    08-19-2016 03:39 PM
    Didn't know that, pretty rad bonus!
    That clear case for free from Newegg looks good, too
    08-19-2016 03:58 PM
    I like the phone so much that I will buy on 26 Aug at 12 noon eastern time. If it came with a 5.5 inch screen I would like it more. No more carrier phones for me. Google Nexus and Huawei products.

Posted via the Android Central App
    libra89 likes this.
    08-19-2016 04:49 PM
    I like the phone so much that I will buy on 26 Aug at 12 noon eastern time. If it came with a 5.5 inch screen I would like it more. No more carrier phones for me. Google Nexus and Huawei products.

Yeah!
    08-19-2016 07:46 PM

Personally, I prefer smaller screens around five inches.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-19-2016 07:48 PM
    Personally, I prefer smaller screens around five inches.
    Me too.
    The Honor seems like the closest we can get that is actually good though. I mean there's the Alatcel OneTouch Idol 3 4.7" and the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact though but aside from those, not so much.

The OneTouch fails the color requirement for me, and the Z5 Compact is okay but I hear that it has its own issues. It's still too much (pricewise) for me to even consider for an "older" phone. I have an iPhone SE and continuously hearing that the SE is better makes it a non-starter for me.
    Guytronic likes this.
    08-19-2016 11:41 PM
    Me too.
    The Honor seems like the closest we can get that is actually good though. I mean there's the Alatcel OneTouch Idol 3 4.7" and the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact though but aside from those, not so much.

The OneTouch fails the color requirement for me, and the Z5 Compact is okay but I hear that it has its own issues. It's still too much (pricewise) for me to even consider for an "older" phone. I have an iPhone SE and continuously hearing that the SE is better makes it a non-starter for me.
    What's a color requirement?
    08-20-2016 08:12 AM
    I feel like smartphone design at least in terms of aesthetic is slowing down, and he reason for that may be a new design on the horizon that'll really take the industry by storm, and the industry is just taking a breath before that storm. Anyone else have any ideas?
    08-20-2016 08:16 AM
    What's a color requirement?
    My phones need to have color choices aside from the black and silver. The Idol 3 only comes in black. That is what that means.
    Guytronic likes this.
    08-20-2016 08:42 AM
    My phones need to have color choices aside from the black and silver. The Idol 3 only comes in black. That is what that means.
    Oh I see. Is there a particular reason? I know black and white is boring, but if the phone is good then maybe a fashionable case can make up for the lack of design...
    08-20-2016 12:05 PM
    Oh I see. Is there a particular reason? I know black and white is boring, but if the phone is good then maybe a fashionable case can make up for the lack of design...
    It's just personal preference. My first phone OS is Windows Phone. I still adore it in a general sense but I don't know how familiar you are with them. They are known for having colorful backs naturally. Going from orange, green, red and blue to just black is a big shock to me.

A case is not enough for me. I love having a color in the sea of black and silver phones!
    Guytronic likes this.
    08-20-2016 01:25 PM
    It's just personal preference. My first phone OS is Windows Phone. I still adore it in a general sense but I don't know how familiar you are with them. They are known for having colorful backs naturally. Going from orange, green, red and blue to just black is a big shock to me.

A case is not enough for me. I love having a color in the sea of black and silver phones!
    Ah yes. The Windows Phone. It could have been great, but instead it flopped...

Have you looked into the Nextbit Robin? The HTC 10 also includes a red version.
    08-20-2016 01:29 PM

I just thought of this. I'm not sure if you own an Honor 5X, but if you do, there is also a third-party Rose Gold colored back available on Amazon. B01I1S0LH4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471714328&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=honor+5x+battery&dpPl=1&dpID=416zMTXo4JL&ref=plSrch

It costs $16 and requires you provide your own screwdriver.
    08-20-2016 01:33 PM
    A question here...about software.

Will the h8 have the full screen rotation like the h5X?
    I like this because when I stream with Napster on the 5X I can flip the phone upside down and puts the headphone jack on the bottom.

I know the h8 has the jack on the bottom yet this full rotation is handy for stuff like mounting in a vehicle or on bike handlebars.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-20-2016 02:45 PM
54 123