Honor 8 Final Report: Ask Me Anything

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
This is the final edition of the Honor 8 report. Today, I will be answering all your questions about the Honor 8. Please ask in the comments below.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
All of your reports have been very interesting. Thanks for them.

I have been watching and reading all of these reviews and something I wonder is, why is the screen on time so varied? Do you have any guesses why this might be the case? Do you think it might have to do with the power modes?
I have seen some people report 2/3 hours and some, 5 hours and some, and even 7 hours and some.

samix

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the quality posts Lumi.
Still on the fence about the Honor 8. I like the design, specs and price but a little iffy on the camera quality and software layer. Still want to see what the new Nexus offer.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
All of your reports have been very interesting. Thanks for them.

I have been watching and reading all of these reviews and something I wonder is, why is the screen on time so varied? Do you have any guesses why this might be the case? Do you think it might have to do with the power modes?
I have seen some people report 2/3 hours and some, 5 hours and some, and even 7 hours and some.
There's a lot more variables in the Honor 8 than most smartphones, and you might be right about the power modes. However, I also find that if you don't disable the "power saving" tools, such as setting all the apps to "protected", it can actually save battery. Also, EMUI is pretty bad with battery life, so there's quite a bit of difference there. As always with smartphones, usage and screen brightness can also contribute to differences in SOT.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Could you do a camera comparison versus Oneplus 3? Could you test if Honor 8 works fine with Android Auto?
I don't currently own a OnePlus 3 or an Android Auto-equipped device, but I will try to borrow them from a friend and let you know the results.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the quality posts Lumi.
Still on the fence about the Honor 8. I like the design, specs and price but a little iffy on the camera quality and software layer. Still want to see what the new Nexus offer.
Indeed. Nexus is transitioning to a higher price point, though, so it may be a lot more expensive than the Honor 8.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
What is the battery life like?
The battery life is very good, often getting people through a whole day without a charge. I find that disabling some of the "power saving" features can actually increase battery life, but sometimes they do help. Ultra power saving mode is also quite nice, but really only used in a pinch.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
There's a lot more variables in the Honor 8 than most smartphones, and you might be right about the power modes. However, I also find that if you don't disable the "power saving" tools, such as setting all the apps to "protected", it can actually save battery. Also, EMUI is pretty bad with battery life, so there's quite a bit of difference there. As always with smartphones, usage and screen brightness can also contribute to differences in SOT.

Thank you for answering. If you don't mind, why do you say that EMUI is bad with battery life? What do you mean by that?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Indeed. Nexus is transitioning to a higher price point, though, so it may be a lot more expensive than the Honor 8.
Hopefully the new high end nexus will fall around $500 for base model.. Still significantly cheaper than Galaxy devices

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Compared to other skins, for example TouchWiz, or stock Android, the additional layer of processing that EMUI puts on the OS makes for a bit of a slowdown and higher battery usage.