Post pictures taken with your Honor 8 here

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Since my Note 7 was taken away (I turned it in after the latest 'turn off' email from Samsung), I got an Honor 8 to hold me over till they re-release the Note 7. Here are some camera comparison shots. First photo is Note 7, second is Honor 8. In good light, the images are pretty comparable. I shot some in bad light, and the Note 7 kills it, it's not even a comparison.

Note 7:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/g...1KkgabxIsOiVGT0vU68bqFWELprGfw=w2140-h1204-no

Honor 8:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...20iPT_N1hiQe8JXxYOSc0SaXS9vbpQ=w2160-h1180-no

Note 7:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/P...Y2baPgQg295WtpimExOqTEHkA2UgKg=w1788-h1204-no

Honor 8:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Q...8X2XlSUEt58lJsFV89neUh_wK6UNIQ=w1782-h1204-no

Here's the Honor 8's party trick - depth sensing second camera. I find it to be significantly better at bokehs than the Note 7's 'selective focus' feature.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/A...RX2t8IQ8Z1dzCbO-ulp8op5-XTVV_Q=w1446-h1204-no

I'm not a big photography guy, but I think the Honor 8 photos turned out just as well, if not better, than the Note 7. The leaf is a really good one.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a big photography guy, but I think the Honor 8 photos turned out just as well, if not better, than the Note 7. The leaf is a really good one.
I think that the honor 8 performs good in well lit scenarios. But it starts to falter in less than ideal situations. Not terrible by any means, but that's where you will see the biggest difference between the honor 8 and the note 7

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think that the honor 8 performs good in well lit scenarios. But it starts to falter in less than ideal situations. Not terrible by any means, but that's where you will see the biggest difference between the honor 8 and the note 7

I think push comes to shove, these are all good enough for posting on Facebook/twitter, which is what the bulk of people will use camera phones for.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
One more. I walk by the cruise port everyday that's why I have a lot of photos of ships docked.

I'll post some low light and indoors shots later too. Camera does use second monochrome lens to add sharpness in low light.

f77d531f3269bcde561243db56cfd117.jpg

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Please keep posting, your pictures are great!

Ha, thanks. Here are some more in mediocre lighting. You can see this isn't the Honor 8's sweet spot.

Early morning.
Honor 8:
zmBZWJkQQpOFA0xiMT5GRnWEwtS87RrN93sNq4tWUb6q0iavVZph0VU5MmmsjbqYiXPoTG7SXJUo3-k=w3928-h2619-no

Indoors - the phone did the "adding sharpness to photo, hold phone steady" warning. i.e., it's using the monochrome sensor to add detail to the photo. Unlike the P9 which does it all the time, the Honor 8 only merges the images in low light.

Honor 8:
MRBaj6mWPONzO4pVy8algjvb2tlYtXzltVtFhje9snrVQa9pEeLiGbTOAsguQ2Nha-srr62-5Aq1YZM=w3928-h2619-no

In comparison, here's a moderately lit indoor shot from an iphone SE. You can see the picture is a little grainy and comparable to the Honor 8.

Iphone SE:
PEsbomXrBT3pVfe8g8zC7r8cpANF3ZSO5OZ2FG_2xTbqan7vty3Bzl4TjOg9bcoGRr4MosFUwB4SbYQ=w3928-h2619-no

Similar condition with Galaxy S6 Edge (again, comparable to the Honor 8). I wish I had a photo from my S7E or Note 7, you can see the difference clearly.

S6 Edge:
HYX5ek0LFgwWnPW8fCWQQQX7RyVfJ9SV5ixAg1JWSAzsuChl2YA0NeaUWLNyP87HGEOEU_eeOeuX4x0=w3928-h2619-no

Moderately lit corridor. The poorest photo of all.
Honor 8:
qdleYCiGmjWbiWWe5-0f6fi2O6z-WmCQfhXlxNSm1vojT1b5RuG_qoJJ39nDiKYI15FO18sqESBhTQY=w3928-h2619-no

I found that one way to get around the grainy images in low light is to use the aperture mode (bokeh).
Honor 8:
i1SdNnPmkOeSo9_a9-uf_EYcvrxleZl1h2X3U9JTgHDSwCTumaxOzZlzq4R45ao5obqlmTkYfbFtLHQ=w3928-h2619-no

Overall, I am very pleasantly surprised and impressed by the Honor 8. EMUI is not bad at all, its very zippy, battery life is decent, and camera is very good. It's a little slippery in the hand (I don't use cases) but form factor is perfect (I am a 5 inch guy, I don't necessarily like huge phones). If I was shopping on price, it's a very strong contender, Honor has done a nice job. No doubt.

But I will be going back to the Note 7 when they re-release it - it's a much better package overall (love samsung pay, love having a stylus, love always on display, water resistance is a nice to have). And taking a look at the Google Pixel when it comes out.

Last edited:

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
The camera is definitely impressive. Just a few years ago you would never find such a great camera on a phone in this price range. I booted up my Nexus 4 recently (to throw Nougat on it, works great, I really could have used it longer than I did) and the image quality is laughable. My '14 Moto X doesn't touch it either, same price.

@xxaarraa, there are some lock screens which give you functionality similar to Moto's ambient display (I'm assuming similar to Samsung's AOD). Using WaveLock and ACdisplay on my Nexus 4 right now, now I'm no longer so anxious about leaving Motorola behind. Maybe you can give that a try.

Really considering ordering one tonight/tomorrow. I just can't decide if the Pixel will be worth the extra money... I really like the look and Huawei's software features. But are monthly updates and amoled display worth it... I don't know...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The camera is definitely impressive. Just a few years ago you would never find such a great camera on a phone in this price range. I booted up my Nexus 4 recently (to throw Nougat on it, works great, I really could have used it longer than I did) and the image quality is laughable. My '14 Moto X doesn't touch it either, same price.

@xxaarraa, there are some lock screens which give you functionality similar to Moto's ambient display (I'm assuming similar to Samsung's AOD). Using WaveLock and ACdisplay on my Nexus 4 right now, now I'm no longer so anxious about leaving Motorola behind. Maybe you can give that a try.

Really considering ordering one tonight/tomorrow. I just can't decide if the Pixel will be worth the extra money... I really like the look and Huawei's software features. But are monthly updates and amoled display worth it... I don't know...
Not just camera... But for $200,you cash get a really decent smartphone, ok for most people. Move to $400,and the specs are at or very near high end phones. 2 years ago, $200-400 smartphones was pretty meh.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Wow...@xxaarraa
I'm thinking a more than capable phone camera in the hands of a patient photographer.

Thank you so much for showing us what this hardware can do!
I knew this technology was a win.
Far as I can see "SOLD!"

shea-bird

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The GSM Arena photo comparison tool gives a quantitative analysis of many phones in a controlled setting. Now obviously this does not account for many photo scenario's but is a great tool to grade phones on a 1:1 basis.

Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com

the Honor 8 has some of the better performances in these tests (sans video where its pretty poor). It is def a top performer and has some awesome capabilities. I would imagine with the next EMUI upgrade we will see it expand as well.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The GSM Arena photo comparison tool gives a quantitative analysis of many phones in a controlled setting. Now obviously this does not account for many photo scenario's but is a great tool to grade phones on a 1:1 basis.

Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com

the Honor 8 has some of the better performances in these tests (sans video where its pretty poor). It is def a top performer and has some awesome capabilities. I would imagine with the next EMUI upgrade we will see it expand as well.
Wow that tool looks pretty cool

Nevs4Nokia

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
One of my favorite feature of this phone, related to the camera is editing software....pretty nice, decent filters with some decent post processing tools...

Luv my H8

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Here are 3 pictures I took with the Honor 8. The first picture is the original and the second is a 100% crop of the image.

These 2 were taken in a shop at Disney. It was about 6pm and the lighting in the store was somewhat dim
Honor 8_Picture 3.jpg

Honor 8_Picture 3_100 Crop.jpg

These 2 are of a ball that my dog has almost destroyed, but it was good daylight
Honor 8_Picture 2.jpg

Honor 8_Picture 2_100 Crop.jpg

These 2 were taken in the same Disney store as the above, same conditions as well
Honor 8_Picture 1.jpg

Honor 8_Picture 1_100 Crop.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the performance and I must say that if this camera had OIS it would hang with the s7 and Note 7.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Here's a great comparison shot of a night photo - Note 7 photo I took last week and the Honor 8 photo I took this evening. Interestingly, the phone did not do the "sharpening image, hold steady" i.e., it did not use the second camera to increase sharpness. Seems inconsistent when it chooses to and when it does not.

You can see why the Note 7 is the low light king.

Note 7:

7gWqFqQw3AEQQjALdKTI7YHqKpY0jAppB6fN2__BzzQE8wUDYlVDN1iBQMTMpMivB5WNkyLgc9L3-Pw=w3928-h2619-no

Honor 8:

06igloTfr2rG1lr8QHRPQ3UEqZD5SDykOgbxUFkU68YFvfw4ZQP-y80JY3FwvQxCCeQQds8wFG6ta4M=w3928-h2619-no

Here's the same shot with my girlfriend's Nexus 5X. I have to say I am very disappointed in the Honor 8's low light capabilities, even the Nexus 5X produces a much better night photo - just look at the texture / detail on the walls of South Station and compare all 3 photos.

EyJfL62rsnwNjwHMSBiBN3oi0kvaYIvk0uK_-AnWZPApNQdg5ZgKGOkqAnozYfvBUt1Ikn3Whb7x3YU=w3928-h2619-no

Last edited: