My thoughts

Jcblack3310

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I bought the Honor 8 for my wife who is coming from an iPhone 6. I've had my Axon 7 for about a month so I figured I would try the Honor 8 for a few days. Here are my thoughts.

Build: Axon 7 wins this one due to the quality of metal they used and the over all feel is much better than the Honor 8.

Screen: Axon 7 is much better due to resolution and quality.

Camera: honor 8 wins this one. I love the camera on the H8. Pictures come out crisp and you can easily tell between both phones.

Battery: this one for me is a tie. Neither phone is great but I enjoy the SOT that I get with each device. 4-5 hours for both.

I'm only giving my thoughts on a few areas. The Axon 7 is a much better device in most aspects. The software on the H8 is just ugly and I don't like using it. Mifavor is much smoother and the user experience is better on the Axon7. The build quality on the Honor seems cheap in the hand and the heft of the Axon 7 is something I like.

Feel free to ask me any questions!

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. They were interesting to read.

Out of curiosity, what color is the Honor you got for her? What does she think?

I think when it comes to build, that's really going to be subjective. I can picture how the Axon 7 might feel though. To me, the fact that the Honor 8 comes in colors and looks nice is great. It seems like you might be more of a metal person, which is fine.

As for the screen, the Honor 8 is kind of cold.

I noticed that you didn't comment on the size difference between the two. How did you feel about that?

Jcblack3310

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. They were interesting to read.

Out of curiosity, what color is the Honor you got for her? What does she think?

I think when it comes to build, that's really going to be subjective. I can picture how the Axon 7 might feel though. To me, the fact that the Honor 8 comes in colors and looks nice is great. It seems like you might be more of a metal person, which is fine.

As for the screen, the Honor 8 is kind of cold.

I noticed that you didn't comment on the size difference between the two. How did you feel about that?

I got her the white one and it's really sharp looking. She hasn't played with it yet as we love apart due to her being in graduate school, but she will get it tomorrow.

The size difference is noticeable for me as I think 5.5 inch screen is the sweet spot since I came from the Nexus 6p. I love my Axon way more than the Nexus for a few reasons.

I was debating on getting and honor 8 in black or blue for myself but it didn't take long for me to miss my Axon 7. It's the real deal.

Again, the Honor 8 is a solid phone that isn't for me. I would have liked to see the price for the Honor be more around $300 considering how much nicer the Axon 7 is and the OP3.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Honor 8 for my wife who is coming from an iPhone 6. I've had my Axon 7 for about a month so I figured I would try the Honor 8 for a few days. Here are my thoughts.

Build: Axon 7 wins this one due to the quality of metal they used and the over all feel is much better than the Honor 8.

Screen: Axon 7 is much better due to resolution and quality.

Camera: honor 8 wins this one. I love the camera on the H8. Pictures come out crisp and you can easily tell between both phones.

Battery: this one for me is a tie. Neither phone is great but I enjoy the SOT that I get with each device. 4-5 hours for both.

I'm only giving my thoughts on a few areas. The Axon 7 is a much better device in most aspects. The software on the H8 is just ugly and I don't like using it. Mifavor is much smoother and the user experience is better on the Axon7. The build quality on the Honor seems cheap in the hand and the heft of the Axon 7 is something I like.

Feel free to ask me any questions!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am a bit surprised about build as it looks great in pictures, but haven't played with one in person yet

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I got her the white one and it's really sharp looking. She hasn't played with it yet as we love apart due to her being in graduate school, but she will get it tomorrow.

The size difference is noticeable for me as I think 5.5 inch screen is the sweet spot since I came from the Nexus 6p. I love my Axon way more than the Nexus for a few reasons.

I was debating on getting and honor 8 in black or blue for myself but it didn't take long for me to miss my Axon 7. It's the real deal.

Again, the Honor 8 is a solid phone that isn't for me. I would have liked to see the price for the Honor be more around $300 considering how much nicer the Axon 7 is and the OP3.
I think $300 is a bit low for the honor 8 especially with the s820 and 4gb ram. Perhaps 350 would be a better fir

Jcblack3310

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I think $300 is a bit low for the honor 8 especially with the s820 and 4gb ram. Perhaps 350 would be a better fir

In my opinion, there are a few other devices that I think are better for $400. $300 is perfect considering the software and the phone doesn't feel "premium" like the Axon 7 and op3.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, there are a few other devices that I think are better for $400. $300 is perfect considering the software and the phone doesn't feel "premium" like the Axon 7 and op3.
I wonder what the difference is in the cost to manufacture those phones, and if the honor 8 is substantially cheaper to make than the other 2.

Jcblack3310

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Is there any other negative to the build in your opinion, besides the metal vs glass and the weight?

I don't think it's a negative. The phone does feel really good in the hand! Definitely would recommend it to people who are looking for a solid device without breaking the bank.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's a negative. The phone does feel really good in the hand! Definitely would recommend it to people who are looking for a solid device without breaking the bank.

Ah ok. Sorry I misunderstood you then. Glad to see that you recommend it... Makes me want it even more

maximus theodore

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
i had the axon 7 for a week those capacitive button kill it for me , phone is unusable at night time, i just got the honor 8 its very solid phone very good performance and battery life

Jcblack3310

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
i had the axon 7 for a week those capacitive button kill it for me , phone is unusable at night time, i just got the honor 8 its very solid phone very good performance and battery life

I was used to the capacitive buttons after a day or so. Doesn't really bother me but I can say the Axon 7 feels way more "premium" than the Honor 8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis