Honor 8 on the way

edwin walke

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Finally just had to order the H8. $349 from Huawei. Mr. UPS says it will arrive Thurs. Looking forward to comparing it to my Nexus 6 & 6P.

taxmandan

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I picked up one from Best Buy on Friday and I think its a pretty good phone. It's easily the nicest looking smartphone I've ever had. Battery life has been good too and i can't complain about the performance. It is way better in terms of performance than the Nexus 5X i was using for the last 10 months.

Etyrnus

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I picked up one from Best Buy on Friday and I think its a pretty good phone. It's easily the nicest looking smartphone I've ever had. Battery life has been good too and i can't complain about the performance. It is way better in terms of performance than the Nexus 5X i was using for the last 10 months.

I like hearing that. I'm about to make the same switch.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty good to hear! I was pretty disappointed with the 5x performance... Glad that this didn't follow suit, but of course we are talking about different processors

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I checked mine a few times over the last hour and it seems to have 565mb free--that's with it just sitting idle on a table.
That's good to hear.. So it actually utilizes most of the ram. On my moto g4 64/4,I never see less than 1.5gb free

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I just returned the Honor 8 to Best Buy. It just wasn't the phone for me. I had a Note 7 but returned it for a refund (The Note 7 doesn't justify a $900 price tag). I have had the following phones to compare the Honor 8 with, Nexus 6P, Galaxy s7 Edge, Note 7 and an LG V10. The Honor 8 stands tall against all of them aesthetically, the blue color and all glass design was very nice. The build quality was also very good, it was just a nice phone to look at. The issues I had with it are.
  • It was slippery, it would literally slide off most surfaces
  • The EMUI was quirky and resembled iOS too much
  • Lock Screen notifications are hit or miss and they only seemed to work with a setting that turns on the screen when you receive a notification
  • The camera was not very good in low light and I had too many blurry pictures
  • The screen is not very bright in sun light and there seemed to be an issue with the ambient sensor. There were times when the phone did not know if the room was bright or dark and I ultimately had to manually adjust the brightness

On the positive side, the performance was very good. It had great battery life and the reception (Mobile Data & WiFi) were damn good! The display was really nice, colors and saturation were very good.

I'm assuming that Honor will fix many of these issues with software updates but, for me, I went back to the S7 Edge. It was a tough decision and if my decision was merely based on the looks of the phone, the H8 wins hands down. Having said that, functionality trumps looks all day when it comes to a mobile phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your honest input. For low light, the S7 Edge is hard to beat, though it does cost a bit more.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am a fan of this personally. The Nexus 5x is a nice phone, but the tallness bugged me. I am generally able to reach the top of the screen with one hand.
Can you reach easily both top corners with one hand, without stretching your hand?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Can you reach easily both top corners with one hand, without stretching your hand?

Not really, sadly. I can reach most of the screen, but the top part of the top half, is a loss unless I put it near the middle of my palm, which is an OK position. Doing that, I can reach everything just fine. If I wish to rest the bottom of the phone in part of my palm, I can't.

Also, disclaimer, I have long fingers so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Not really, sadly. I can reach most of the screen, but the top part of the top half, is a loss unless I put it near the middle of my palm, which is an OK position. Doing that, I can reach everything just fine. If I wish to rest the bottom of the phone in part of my palm, I can't.

Also, disclaimer, I have long fingers so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.
Fair enough. I have a note 7 now and it is pretty difficult to reach every corner... I can but must really stretch my fingers. The Note 7 does have one handed mode, but I find it more of an annoyance. A 5.2" would be easier but I would still need to stretch my fingers.