Thinking of making the switch, worth it?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
So I have been a long time lurker, and recently using an iPhone (used many androids in the past), and was wondering how the honor 8 is holding up? Looks like a great phone, but being that I just recently will be switching from verizon, I do not have much experience with Huawei outside of the 6P. For those who have it, how does it seem to be holding up in day to day use?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
It's a star. Cameras are good, battery life is great, day to day performance I never have any issues. The fingerprint scanner is great and fast. For some reason, I keep having a lot of apps open and no issues switching between them.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would also add that I think that honor made this phone with the Apple user in mind... Many things look very similar to ios. Imo, if you were switching from ios to Android then the honor 8 would be a good place to start

edwin walke

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
This is the best phone I have owned. Better than HTC one m7, 9 and A9. I have found nothing negative about it. The software is excellent. I am running Google's launcher which has an APP drawer and pure Android function.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Great phone. I highly recommend it to anyone. My lonely issues is no wifi calling. I even really like the stock UI.

prasad219

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
So I have been a long time lurker, and recently using an iPhone (used many androids in the past), and was wondering how the honor 8 is holding up? Looks like a great phone, but being that I just recently will be switching from verizon, I do not have much experience with Huawei outside of the 6P. For those who have it, how does it seem to be holding up in day to day use?
Honor 8 is a great phone indeed. Huawei was the one who made the Nexus 6P and if you like it then definitely your gonna love the honor 8. Great phone with good looks and a great camera. All that at a reasonable price too. Go for it.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Been looking at this thing for awhile now. I'd really like to pick one up. But I can't find any skins or anything for it. Anyone got any leads on skins and minimal cases? Don't want to damage this baby.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am so tempted to try one based on what you guys are saying hopefully honor will make one compatible with Verizon

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I am so tempted to try one based on what you guys are saying hopefully honor will make one compatible with Verizon

This was a problem for me as well. I ditched t-mobile for page plus (verizon mvno) two years ago and never wanted to go back. Luckily t-mobile has improved quite a bit in my area and I haven't had so many problems. Unfortunately this isn't true for everybody.

As far as the phone goes, it's hard not to love it. I'm so glad I gave it a shot. Even if the pixels come in at $400 (they're more likely starting at $650) I'd stay with Honor. I love the features, and Honor has already rolled out a security patch, just for the hell of it. No other oem does that. Worst case scenario you can return it, but I don't think you will!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This was a problem for me as well. I ditched t-mobile for page plus (verizon mvno) two years ago and never wanted to go back. Luckily t-mobile has improved quite a bit in my area and I haven't had so many problems. Unfortunately this isn't true for everybody.

As far as the phone goes, it's hard not to love it. I'm so glad I gave it a shot. Even if the pixels come in at $400 (they're more likely starting at $650) I'd stay with Honor. I love the features, and Honor has already rolled out a security patch, just for the hell of it. No other oem does that. Worst case scenario you can return it, but I don't think you will!

Samsung has actually been really good at releasing security patches. I had the s7 edge and the note 7 and both were either up to date or at most a month behind.if course they also cost a lot more

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
This is probably one of the best Chinese phones I have owned and I have owned pretty much everything from Huawei, Xiaomi, Meizu and some other brands people wouldn't have heard of.

The Honor 8 is even better than the Huawei Mate S - which I used as a daily driver for a couple of months earlier this year. The size is right, the screen is great, battery life is good, you can run all the apps you want without the phone slowing down (sorry I don't play any games on the phone). Fingerprint scanner is probably the best in business and audio isn't too shabby either. Oh and the camera is pretty good regardless of price, especially in manual mode.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Try the Google hangouts dialer.
I have it on my honor 5X and it is working very well for me.

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try. I just got my HTC 10 and I still have a couple of days before I have to send my beloved Honor 8 back. I the hangouts dialer work for me I will keep the Honor and send the HTC back.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is probably one of the best Chinese phones I have owned and I have owned pretty much everything from Huawei, Xiaomi, Meizu and some other brands people wouldn't have heard of.

The Honor 8 is even better than the Huawei Mate S - which I used as a daily driver for a couple of months earlier this year. The size is right, the screen is great, battery life is good, you can run all the apps you want without the phone slowing down (sorry I don't play any games on the phone). Fingerprint scanner is probably the best in business and audio isn't too shabby either. Oh and the camera is pretty good regardless of price, especially in manual mode.

Just curious as to where you live? I haven't seen those marketed for the usa audience.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
So were the ones you got usa spec?
Not really, max speed you get is H+ on TMO on Xiaomi and Meizu devices. Huawei is a bit different. All the other devices like Elephone etc also get H/H+ and no LTE. Some have Play store installed and others require a bit of monkey business before you can get Google services working without any glitches.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta