Honor 8 vs Lumia 950 XL camera comparison

ChumsFuture

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
really impressed with the Honor 8's camera. it definitely holds its own with flagship smartphone cameras in most situations. i consider the 950 XL camera one of the best, even besting the iPhone 6 Plus' camera. it never gets compared to the new generation of phones; Pixel and 7 Plus, because this Lumia is old and has been discontinued, is hard to come by, and is on a dead platform nobody cares about.

street sunrise comparison. even zoomed in, the honor 8 pic holds plenty of detail, nearly has the clarity of the lumia pic. you really have to look hard to find the noise in the honor 8's pic.
honor 8 auto
8ixWZjf.jpg

950 XL auto
2RX90bO.jpg
dark hallway comparison. auto is comparable but hdr mode for the honor 8 is useless and came out very noisy. hdr on the lumia looked exactly like the auto pic so i didn't post that. instead i posted what nokia called "rich capture" which blends 2 pictures, one of which is shot with flash. the phone processes the 2 pictures, blends them together and gives you a slider, so you can decide how much light you want in the picture. it's a great feature but it can be buggy at times taking long to process. when it works though, it's awesome, and is a feature i'd like to see implemented in other smartphones.
honor 8 auto
Nh8fOIt.jpg

950 XL auto
4dtOAGr.jpg

honor 8 hdr
nJb8huk.jpg

950 XL hdr rich capture
a8j1f0F.jpg
oatmeal comparison. honor pic again is very comparable to the lumia pic even when zoomed. this pic was taken in my dark dining room with the only light coming from the neighboring kitchen. i really expected the lumia pic to be much better but the honor surprised me. for giggles, i also compared my Olympus PL6 which is a sub $400 micro 4/3's camera. as you can see, the smartphones look as good if not better.
honor 8 auto
9tAipaM.jpg

950 XL auto
46E3cux.jpg

PL6 auto
D4kelNW.jpg
the only situation where i see the honor not keeping pace with the top phones is in extreme low light situations (candlelight, bars). i'll try to update this thread with more comparison pics later.

btw, when there is good lighting, the honor is a champ. spot focusing, depth of field, speed of focus; you could fool anyone that you took those pics with a premium phone.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Awesome shootout, thanks for doing this and sharing it with us. I agree with your final assessment though.