Can't decide between H8 or Moto Z Play

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The Honor 8 happens to be on sale for $350 at Bestbuy.
I really like it but I was also looking at the Moto Z Play which they just got in.
The screen seems brighter and the speaker was louder. I am not sure whose camera is better. Neither camera has AIS. I am not sure if the Moto is worth a $100 more?
Thanks for your comments.

-Rich

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
The Z play is a pretty cool device in my opinion.
That said I don't think it's worth 100 dollars more.

Adding mods to the moto would be a hole to dump even more money into.
At least with an 8 you'll be getting an excellent all-rounder for way less money.

Best of luck there choosing.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
I may have to disagree that the Z Play isn't worth $100 more.

Having used both, the Z Play has FAR better bettery life. The speaker is definitely better as well. The ability to unlock AND lock with the fingerprint sensor is pretty sweet as well. The cameras are pretty similar in quality.

As for the mods, you don't need them for a great experience. It comes with a Style Shell which is like a built-in case, and you can always add more later IF you decide you want to.

From a software perspective, the Z Play is more enjoyable (for me) than the Honor 8. Sure, EMUI 5 may fix some of the issues, but in its current state it can be quite frustrating at times.

Overall, it comes down to personal preference but I do believe the Z Play is worth the extra money over the Honor 8.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have both and I would agree with Jared's assessment. The Moto z play gets double the battery life of the honor 8.

I have pictures from both devices, I will post them when I get a chance

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I still believe the honor 8 is the better deal.

I would say the two phones are difficult to compare actually.
One is a simple package the other is a a bit more complex due to modifiable capabilities.
Personally as a techno-fan the Moto is a win and I would probably blow dollars on mods.

My feeling is that it's somewhat out of place to put these phones in the same category.
One does one thing very well and the other offers something different.

The difference here is the level of ones pocketbook...
Nothing more.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I still believe the honor 8 is the better deal.

I would say the two phones are difficult to compare actually.
One is a simple package the other is a a bit more complex due to modifiable capabilities.
Personally as a techno-fan the Moto is a win and I would probably blow dollars on mods.

My feeling is that it's somewhat out of place to put these phones in the same category.
One does one thing very well and the other offers something different.

The difference here is the level of ones pocketbook...
Nothing more.

Without a doubt... The honor 8 is a better deal . It just depends on what you are looking for though.

Btw,i posted some pics here from both devices.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=5550113

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There's also a significant size difference

496325645a028826a78dd7b3fe98fa3f.jpg
17ad7371a776fb97b3fec3e7ff92655f.jpg

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
FWIW on EMUI - you'll get used to it. It has come a long way from where it was a year ago.

@dpham00 - thanks for posting those pictures. Very helpful for the OP I'm sure!

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
FWIW on EMUI - you'll get used to it. It has come a long way from where it was a year ago.

@dpham00 - thanks for posting those pictures. Very helpful for the OP I'm sure!

I actually now that I have gotten used to it and I'm starting to like it a lot this phone surprises me how silky smooth it is

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I actually now that I have gotten used to it and I'm starting to like it a lot this phone surprises me how silky smooth it is

Yeah it runs pretty smooth most of the time. The only time I have problems is when it is downloading apps in the background. Then if starts to really lag

robk84

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I personally feel so burned by moto. My Moto X Pure was bad on updates(even security updates), one drop on carpet broke the digitizer (something that someone else here had happen), and their Verizon exclusivity deals have left a bad taste in my mouth and I am just done with them. Honor/Huawei has been great, they are active in forums, they have good customer service, and they also are an up and comer trying to make a splash in the world market. For me the company and the price to value proposition of the Honor wins.

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I personally feel so burned by moto. My Moto X Pure was bad on updates(even security updates), one drop on carpet broke the digitizer (something that someone else here had happen), and their Verizon exclusivity deals have left a bad taste in my mouth and I am just done with them. Honor/Huawei has been great, they are active in forums, they have good customer service, and they also are an up and comer trying to make a splash in the world market. For me the company and the price to value proposition of the Honor wins.

Agreed I was debating moto z play. But after the experience of the moto x and s7 edge (unlocked) lack of updates. I decided it's been awesome I'm glad they listen and are timely with replies

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Moto has had a pretty poor track record on updates. They also have a record of promising updates and reneging later.

With that said being on Verizon, there are some very good deals that can be had on Verizon if you are willing to do a bit of work. I got my Moto Z play droid for$20 after promotions.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
I like the look of Honor 8 much more. The phone is fast and snappy. I would only suggest the Honor 8 cause i got mine for $275 used lol

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That was a good deal I got mine at 329.99 and glad I did. If you don't mind me asking what is your experience buying used or was this your first used phone?

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Regarding updates, the Z Play on its current software is fantastic. This may be the first time I can remember not caring about an update. I'm totally happy with the phone as is.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon moto z is $240 right now at best buy on dpp. Comes with that jbl and battery pack mod.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol