APN Settings for AT&T in The US ?

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,
Is there anything special about the APN settings on the Honor 8 on AT&T ? I am assuming I can just use the Nextgen APN settings off one of my other AT&T phones. Has anyone ran into problems with AT&T with LTE or MMS messaging ?
Thanks

HonorUSA_Salvus

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
The Honor 8 will work great on the AT&T network! You won't experience any issues with LTE or MMS services provided you are in an area with decent signal strength. It's best to contact AT&T directly to get the correct APN settings because incorrect APN settings can cause issues with LTE functionality.

edwin walke

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I use H2o wireless (att) reseller. I just slipped the SIM into the slot and the network set the correct Apps. I got a text when it was set.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have T-Mobile but I just popped in the sim and it worked. I would guess that the same would be true for att.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Tracfone (NET10) AT&T mvno here.
All was well at first then I realized MMS were not being sent.
A minor adjustment to the APN fixed it.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
OK I just put my AT&T sim card in and everything works except my LTE speeds on my Honor 8 are terrible, best so far has been 2.7mb downloads. Same sim card in my unlocked Nexus 6 is 23mb download looked at the APN and there is nothing different, all the settings on both phones are the same, same exact APN. I learned after buying unlocked phones for a while that it's pretty much useless calling AT&T, their stock answer is "it's not an AT&T phone we don't support it" anyone else seeing really slow LTE speeds, also I have a good signal 91db. 44 asu

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
OK I just put my AT&T sim card in and everything works except my LTE speeds on my Honor 8 are terrible, best so far has been 2.7mb downloads. Same sim card in my unlocked Nexus 6 is 23mb download looked at the APN and there is nothing different, all the settings on both phones are the same, same exact APN. I learned after buying unlocked phones for a while that it's pretty much useless calling AT&T, their stock answer is "it's not an AT&T phone we don't support it" anyone else seeing really slow LTE speeds, also I have a good signal 91db. 44 asu
Do you have "Enable 4G" on in settings?

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Do you have "Enable 4G" on in settings?

Yes 4G enabled, and LTE selected in mobile networks settings. Tried running speed tests in several different locations on my way home, known good locations and never seen anything higher than 2.7mb download speeds. Phone shows 4g LTE, and a db level in the 90's. Must be an AT&T thing. I would think if it were a poor antenna signal I wouldn't be seeing the signal strength that I see.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
OK I think I fixed it, I noticed that in the ATT Nextgenphone APN that a few of the settings that should say Not set said none and in the password field it should say Not Set, it would not let me change it, I just selected the other APN, ATT Phone, and my speeds went up yo 16.1mb and my signal strength went to -87db and 52asu. So the answer is something is screwed up in the ATT Nextgenphone APN. I guess I should have deleted all existing APN's and started fresh.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
OK I think I fixed it, I noticed that in the ATT Nextgenphone APN that a few of the settings that should say Not set said none and in the password field it should say Not Set, it would not let me change it, I just selected the other APN, ATT Phone, and my speeds went up yo 16.1mb and my signal strength went to -87db and 52asu. So the answer is something is screwed up in the ATT Nextgenphone APN. I guess I should have deleted all existing APN's and started fresh.

Never mind must have just been a fluke, probably just from turning the phone off and back on back to 1.67mb download speed now. This was my biggest concern buying a unlocked non supported phone, had this trouble with my OnePlus 3 also, buy my Sim card works fine in my unlocked Nexus 6 and of course in an AT&T branded Galaxy S6. Going to try deleting both APN'S and start from scratch.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
@Master of Surgery is on AT&T I think. I hope you'll get a workable solution. I'm on T-Mobile so I can't really advise anything :/

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm Giving up on this tonight, been a long day at work, the cell service works, text messages, phone calls, I have a solid 4G LTE signal, not dropping to H or H+ , Just have to figure out why my LTE speed is so slow, I'll try working on this tomorrow, can't send the phone back to Honor, I bought it off Swappa the phone is only a little over a month old , have the original receipt from B&H Photo but Honor only warranties the original purchaser I believe.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm Giving up on this tonight, been a long day at work, the cell service works, text messages, phone calls, I have a solid 4G LTE signal, not dropping to H or H+ , Just have to figure out why my LTE speed is so slow, I'll try working on this tomorrow, can't send the phone back to Honor, I bought it off Swappa the phone is only a little over a month old , have the original receipt from B&H Photo but Honor only warranties the original purchaser I believe.
That's not correct.

As long as you are within the 1 year warranty period from date of purchase, they should be able to attempt to help you. I bought my Honor from B&H too and I was still able to register just fine for the free 3 month glass replacement warranty.

Etyrnus

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

Have you tried creating a new APN entry by doing this? https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...l%23%21%2Fwireless%2FKM1062162&token=vngKi3XE

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone, been a really busy week at work, I've got my phone working just fine now and thank you for all your suggestions. For some reason my Honor 8 just did not like the AT&T Nextgen APN, i totally deleted it and set it up new, set it exactly the same as my Samsung S6 Active, still was slow and low signal, did it again like my nexus 6 same results, then I deleted the Nextgen APN and didn't make a new one just tried using the ATT Phone APN that was sitting there all along, works fine, my LTE speeds are not great but definitely livable. Most importantly though my cell signal is good and constant, better than my AT&T branded locked Samsung S6. I got this phone used a month old with the receipt from B&H for $300, I haven't a thing to complain about with this phone. I thought after using my nexus 6 for so long that the smaller screen was going to be a deal breaker, but so far really not an issue. I was first thinking this was going to be a cheap lower end version of a Huawei phone, but it's actually pretty darn good and a good value for the money.