12-22-2016 05:46 PM
43 12
tools
    Love my Honor 8 but having an annoying issue I cannot resolve. When I text photos taken with my camera using the Google messenger app, they are very grainy. I understand the photos get compressed when texting, but my previous device (S7 edge) sent photos that looked nearly identical to the original using the same app and the original photos were basically the same size. Checked all kinds of settings and can't figure it out. Anyone have a fix?
    11-19-2016 01:11 PM
    Hmm, I never noticed but there is a stronger reduction in quality then I recall in past phones. I am not familiar with how mms messages are compressed, maybe each phone does it in a different manner independent of app?
    libra89 likes this.
    11-19-2016 01:56 PM
    Honor 8 uses huewai message app, not Google.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-19-2016 04:49 PM
    Honor 8 uses huewai message app, not Google.
    It's pretty easy to download Google messenger from the app store.
    11-19-2016 06:26 PM
    Love my Honor 8 but having an annoying issue I cannot resolve. When I text photos taken with my camera using the Google messenger app, they are very grainy. I understand the photos get compressed when texting, but my previous device (S7 edge) sent photos that looked nearly identical to the original using the same app and the original photos were basically the same size. Checked all kinds of settings and can't figure it out. Anyone have a fix?
    I usually take pictures using the camera app then send them using google messenger. I don't care for the camera app built into messenger.
    11-19-2016 06:27 PM
    Yes, I downloaded Google messenger but I'm pretty sure that the problem is consistent with all messaging programs. I will test the stock messaging app to confirm it does the same thing and update the post. Nobody has a fix?
    11-19-2016 07:19 PM
    I send most pictures via fb messenger.
    11-19-2016 07:37 PM
    I'm an adult, so I don't do social media. I just share things with people I care about personally. Messenger is really the superior option.
    11-19-2016 09:28 PM
    I'm an adult, so I don't do social media. I just share things with people I care about personally. Messenger is really the superior option.
    No need to make it knock generations.
    anon(464338) and libra89 like this.
    11-19-2016 09:32 PM
    Yes, I downloaded Google messenger but I'm pretty sure that the problem is consistent with all messaging programs. I will test the stock messaging app to confirm it does the same thing and update the post. Nobody has a fix?
    The fix is not to rely on MMS to keep quality high.
    11-19-2016 09:32 PM
    OK, better way to phrase this... Why did my S7 edge send excellent quality photos over MMS (Google messenger) and my Honor 8 does not? Both take very similar, excellent photos and both are on the same plan w T Mobile
    11-19-2016 10:16 PM
    I'm getting the same issue.
    11-19-2016 10:42 PM
    Congratulations, I'm also an adult. Back to your question. If you don't use social media, emailing images is a better option over mms as most email services don't compress them.
    Is it possible that mms services have been updated between your use of each phone?
    libra89 likes this.
    11-20-2016 02:28 AM
    OK, better way to phrase this... Why did my S7 edge send excellent quality photos over MMS (Google messenger) and my Honor 8 does not? Both take very similar, excellent photos and both are on the same plan w T Mobile
    I tested your observation had not sent a picture through it does come out grainy interesting switched back to stock messenger took almost the same picture it wasn't grainy super strange.
    11-20-2016 04:52 AM
    Could be because T-Mobile supports advanced messaging (allowing higher limits for MMS) for the s7 edge, but not for phones that weren't purchased through them like the honor 8.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-20-2016 06:32 AM
    The POTUS has an official Twitter account. Every government agency has a Twitter account. Corporations have official Twitter, FB and Instagram accounts. Major news outlets use all 3 as well. Your statement makes zero sense. If you prefer not to use these platforms for personal reasons just say that. No need to make up a lame excuse.
    droidatl and libra89 like this.
    11-20-2016 07:36 AM
    You really took that deep. Any fix for the issue?
    JasonBourne likes this.
    11-20-2016 07:52 AM
    That makes sense, but wouldn't explain why the stock messaging app is able to send higher quality photos.
    11-20-2016 07:54 AM
    The POTUS has an official Twitter account. Every government agency has a Twitter account. Corporations have official Twitter, FB and Instagram accounts. Major news outlets use all 3 as well. Your statement makes zero sense. If you prefer not to use these platforms for personal reasons just say that. No need to make up a lame excuse.
    You really took that deep.
    JasonBourne likes this.
    11-20-2016 07:55 AM
    That makes sense, but wouldn't explain why the stock messaging app is able to send higher quality photos.
    Because it is made by the same company that made the processor that does the compression.
    JasonBourne likes this.
    11-20-2016 07:56 AM
    Because it is made by the same company that made the processor that does the compression.
    Interesting. I guess I'll just use the stock messaging app until a fix arises.
    JasonBourne likes this.
    11-20-2016 07:58 AM
    Actually, I just tested the stock messaging app and the pictures are still grainy, only a little bit better than using Google messenger. This is frustrating.
    11-20-2016 08:13 AM
    Yup, it isn't a T-Mobile issue either as I'm getting the same issue on ATT.

Photos are fine went sent through Whatapp, FB Messenger, etc, it's only through MMS that pics are sent low-res.

Perhaps with the Nougat and EMUI update this will be fixed.
    11-20-2016 09:48 AM
    I spoke with T-Mobile and it appears that the advanced messaging service is the issue. The honor is not compatible with this system as it is not a T-Mobile branded device. With advanced messaging you can send 15 mb and with standard MMS you are limited to just 1 mb. I'm guessing AT&T has a similar limit to their system and that is why you are experiencing the same issue. This is really a bummer. I love everything else about this device, but I may have to switch to something else if I cannot resolve somehow.
    11-20-2016 10:37 AM
    Yup, it isn't a T-Mobile issue either as I'm getting the same issue on ATT.

Photos are fine went sent through Whatapp, FB Messenger, etc, it's only through MMS that pics are sent low-res.

Perhaps with the Nougat and EMUI update this will be fixed.
    It would still hold true with AT&T, because it also has advanced messaging through specific phones only.

If I remember correctly the messaging app compresses the MMS files based on the service providers protocols. You may be able to get around it by downloading a third party messenger like Textra and changing the settings to no limit for files. However the MMS may not send and if it does the service provider will compress it anyway.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-20-2016 11:30 AM
43 12