01-19-2017 01:12 PM
44 12
tools
    Seriously considering switching to Huawei Mate 9 - the specs are just insane!

Huawei Mate 9 arriving in the U.S. Jan 6 for $599, will add Alexa support in a future update https://www.androidcentral.com/huawe...g-us-january-6

What about you guys?
    01-04-2017 11:37 PM
    Will I switch?

Not for $599.00
    OhAlfie likes this.
    01-04-2017 11:41 PM
    Yea, I could buy 2 Honor 8 for that price..but that 4000mAh battery....
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    01-05-2017 01:25 AM
    Yea, I could buy 2 Honor 8 for that price..but that 4000mAh battery....
    Lol ...
    That is a big 'ole battery.

For some reason I love to charge up a phone often.
    Must be some kind of obsession
    Nostromo79 likes this.
    01-05-2017 01:53 AM
    I'm still waiting to see if it comes to the UK at a decent price. Would love a screen that size.
    01-05-2017 04:35 AM
    I love that it is a big phone but I'm in the club of preferring smaller. The Honor 8 is the biggest I would go.
    Guytronic likes this.
    01-05-2017 07:54 AM
    It's a cool device, but that's going into the "too big" range for me. I'm going to stick with my Honor.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-05-2017 09:10 AM
    It's interesting...to me i don't see it as being twice as good as the honor 8.

Battery is big... But battery life is around half of my Moto z play droid.
    01-05-2017 09:32 AM
    I've had my Mate 9 for about a month and I LOVE it! Huawei/Honor make great phones!
    libra89 and Morty2264 like this.
    01-05-2017 09:37 AM
    Been very interested and been waiting anxiously for an official US release. Price is fair and it's unlocked. Feared that it was going to be a carrier locked phone.

I recently bought the ZTE axon 7 because it was on sale and I am liking this phone a lot. My first official android phone, after switching from iphone and Note 7, but I am very curious about the mate 9. I will wait till they have some demos on the floor of Best buy to actually try it/feel it out. If I really like the feel, might get it to try it out and if I really like it, sell my axon 7.

Read good reviews on this phone. Will wait to see reviews from actual US models.
    libra89 and Morty2264 like this.
    01-05-2017 12:15 PM
    Been very interested and been waiting anxiously for an official US release. Price is fair and it's unlocked. Feared that it was going to be a carrier locked phone.

I recently bought the ZTE axon 7 because it was on sale and I am liking this phone a lot. My first official android phone, after switching from iphone and Note 7, but I am very curious about the mate 9. I will wait till they have some demos on the floor of Best buy to actually try it/feel it out. If I really like the feel, might get it to try it out and if I really like it, sell my axon 7.

Read good reviews on this phone. Will wait to see reviews from actual US models.
    It does sound like a good device, for sure! Also, congratulations on your Axon 7! I've heard really good things about this phone, as well. What's your favourite part about the experience so far?
    01-05-2017 03:51 PM
    Well, Huawei just announced Mate 9 is Google Daydream ready.

The only reason that keeps me away from Axon 7 and in fact OP3T is the dual-lens camera. They are now pretty standard in Honor and Huawei flagships.
    01-05-2017 04:25 PM
    Nope. They announced the mate 9 porsche edition and mate 9 pro is daydream ready and not the normal 5.9" one which is available in the US.
    01-05-2017 04:35 PM
    Nope. They announced the mate 9 porsche edition and mate 9 pro is daydream ready and not the normal 5.9" one which is available in the US.
    Plus it's only fhd... Which especially in vr would be noticeable.
    01-05-2017 05:23 PM
    The only reason that keeps me away from Axon 7 and in fact OP3T is the dual-lens camera.
    Dual lenses are the rage it seems.

Off topic:
    That ZTE Blade V8 Pro (what a name Lol ...) has the 2 cameras at 13MP each with a monochrome mode.
    I wish the honor 8 cam had monochrome straight out of the camera.
    01-05-2017 05:27 PM
    While monochrome while shooting would be nice, you'll probably find changing it to monochrome after leaves you with sharper images anyway.
    01-05-2017 05:37 PM
    Ah! Thanks for the clarification.
    01-05-2017 06:47 PM
    I was ready to jump on the bandwagon, Note 4 is ready to be replaced, but no CDMA capability has stopped me dead in my tracks. Now, what comparable spec phones are coming CDMA way?
    01-05-2017 06:51 PM
    I was ready to jump on the bandwagon, Note 4 is ready to be replaced, but no CDMA capability has stopped me dead in my tracks. Now, what comparable spec phones are coming CDMA way?
    The mate 9 does have CDMA support and works on the worlds largest CDMA Carrier. It even supports Verizon's primary CDMA frequency. It also supports 3 of 4 Verizon LTE bands in case you were wondering, but of course no b13. Of course this is just specs... Verizon activating it on their network is another story.
    01-05-2017 07:24 PM
    I can verify that the Mate 9 does NOT support Daydream, as I have a Mate 9 and a Daydream and they don't work together. I have some VERY small hope that a software update will eventually come that will make it work BUT I heard the same as above that only the more expensive models would support Daydream. Although I DID pay more than 599 for my Mate, lol. Not TOO much more thankfully but that is the price you pay to get it early.
    Guytronic, libra89 and Morty2264 like this.
    01-05-2017 11:25 PM
    The mate 9 does have CDMA support and works on the worlds largest CDMA Carrier. It even supports Verizon's primary CDMA frequency. It also supports 3 of 4 Verizon LTE bands in case you were wondering, but of course no b13. Of course this is just specs... Verizon activating it on their network is another story.
    This listing on Best Buy seems to contradict that... says compatible with GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mo...

Huawei Mate 9 4G LTE with 64GB Memory Cell Phone (Unlocked) Gray MHA-L29 - Best Buy

are there multiple models being released?

(I'm hoping for the Porsche Design to come out with CDMA support, since I'm stuck with Verizon for now because of coverage... but would consider the Mate 9.)

Thanks!
    01-06-2017 10:52 AM
    This listing on Best Buy seems to contradict that... says compatible with GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mo...

Huawei Mate 9 4G LTE with 64GB Memory Cell Phone (Unlocked) Gray MHA-L29 - Best Buy

are there multiple models being released?

(I'm hoping for the Porsche Design to come out with CDMA support, since I'm stuck with Verizon for now because of coverage... but would consider the Mate 9.)

Thanks!
    Huawei page lists CDMA. There are different models depending on the region though.

pkcable likes this.
    01-06-2017 01:33 PM
    It does sound like a good device, for sure! Also, congratulations on your Axon 7! I've heard really good things about this phone, as well. What's your favourite part about the experience so far?
    Yes. I am really liking the Axon 7, my first android phone.

Favorite part:
    1. Feel and look - feel good in the hands and easy to use/functional with one hand
    2. Fingerprint scanner on back is much better than having it on the front, and it's very responsive and fast
    3. Screen is vibrant and looks good!
    4. Dual speakers with Dolby Atom is spectacular! When I show others sample sounds, they are like, "wow, that sounds really good coming from such a small device"

Curious about the Mate 9 though, ever since it was released and now finally in the US.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-06-2017 02:25 PM
    Seriously considering switching to Huawei Mate 9 - the specs are just insane!

Huawei Mate 9 arriving in the U.S. Jan 6 for $599, will add Alexa support in a future update https://www.androidcentral.com/huawe...g-us-january-6

What about you guys?
    Ordered a Space gray from B&H today. Still love the Honor 8 but just had to have one of these beasts.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-06-2017 05:39 PM
    Sadly no because I bought a Moto Z along with some Motomods not too long ago.

But I did play with one for some time and I am very impressed. This is the first Huawei phone I actually want to use as a daily driver. I knew Huawei hardware was great, but the software was usually a low-point for me, until now. They fixed most of my gripes with EMUI, to the point where I find myself enjoying the experience.

And the dual 20MP monochrome + 12MP RGB camera array is just pure icing on a sweet cake, with excellent still photos and much-improved video over the P9. And that battery life.

If you're on the fence, I would say this is definitely worth the $599. It's pricey for a Huawei, but for a big-screen beast with a beast of a battery and great cameras, it's worth it.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-06-2017 07:43 PM
44 12