Screen dimming automatically?

Jake25uk

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Love my Honor 8, the only real problem I have is that the screen always dims automatically when I use a browser, or return to a browser after using a different app and I have to turn it back up every time, the brightness setting is not on auto. This can be really annoying when switching back and forth from different apps. I find the phone a little dim on anything other than fully brightness so don't want it to dim. I guess it's to keep the phone from overheating or something but it does not get too hot when I turn the brightness back up straight away so I don't think it's necessary. Any ideas? Thanks Jake.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Anxious to see this working.
It's the one irritating bug with an otherwise stellar device.

I always forget to pump the brightness manually for most outside situations.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Anxious to see this working.
It's the one irritating bug with an otherwise stellar device.

I always forget to pump the brightness manually for most outside situations.

I rarely remember to adjust my screen brightness - so this kind of fix would be appreciated!

restoration85

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Love my Honor 8, the only real problem I have is that the screen always dims automatically when I use a browser, or return to a browser after using a different app and I have to turn it back up every time, the brightness setting is not on auto. This can be really annoying when switching back and forth from different apps. I find the phone a little dim on anything other than fully brightness so don't want it to dim. I guess it's to keep the phone from overheating or something but it does not get too hot when I turn the brightness back up straight away so I don't think it's necessary. Any ideas? Thanks Jake.

If this is happening every time you open the browser, check your power plan under battery manager. Change it to Performance.

althe

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
Known issue supposedly getting completely fixed (as opposed to current partial fix) in EMUI 5.0.

Hi! I'm running EMUI 5.0 on Android 7.0 Bulid Number FRD-L04, and the problem is still there and very noticeable. Any ideas on workarounds (e.g., a setting inside Chrome?).
Thank you.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I'm running EMUI 5.0 on Android 7.0 Bulid Number FRD-L04, and the problem is still there and very noticeable. Any ideas on workarounds (e.g., a setting inside Chrome?).
Thank you.

Did you do a reset of your phone after the update? Most of the time, issues like this could be fixed after a reset. I don't seem to have this issue though after the nougat update. But agree some still seem to have this.

althe

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
Did you do a reset of your phone after the update? Most of the time, issues like this could be fixed after a reset. I don't seem to have this issue though after the nougat update. But agree some still seem to have this.

Do you mean a soft reset? If so, yes. I've turned it off many times after the update. Do you not have that problem? What software version are you running?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean a soft reset? If so, yes. I've turned it off many times after the update. Do you not have that problem? What software version are you running?
No, I meant hard reset. I don't have this problem in my Honor 8. I am running B360 US Version.

althe

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
No, I meant hard reset. I don't have this problem in my Honor 8. I am running B360 US Version.

Thanks for the reply. I tried a hard reset. No luck.
I am running the same version as you.

Did you do something special in the settings?
I can see the issue on some apps such as Chrome, Facebook and the stock SMS app. Have you tried any of those, and you do not see the problem? Are you using a special Launcher?

Others apps such as Whatsapp and Youtube are OK.

I also noticed that the problem is not there if you turn the brightness all the way up or all the way down (which is not practical).

hemam

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
hi althe ,
l have the same problem in my p9 plus , after updated to emui 5 , in emui 4 , I set power plan to performance mode to fix this issue , but there is not such an option in emui 5 , I emailed for this problem to huawei service and they had noting in response , this is a very very bad problem :(

althe

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
hi althe ,
l have the same problem in my p9 plus , after updated to emui 5 , in emui 4 , I set power plan to performance mode to fix this issue , but there is not such an option in emui 5 , I emailed for this problem to huawei service and they had noting in response , this is a very very bad problem :(

It's amazing that Huawei seems oblivious to it. I reached out to them via Twitter (their solution was to call Customer Service), called Customer Service, spent 2 hours on the phone with them.
I tried to make them see that this is clearly a software issue, and not a hardware one, but they said they cannot do anything about it.
Their solution was for me to reach out to Amazon and try to get a refund.

I tried to send a message to the EMIU team via Facebook, but did not get a reply.

I wonder how to get the software team's attention.
Have you tried to reach out to them via Twitter or Facebook, hemam?

Do you know if there is a way to get Android 7 Nougat while still keeping EMUI4?

hemam

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Hi dear althe
I apologize for delay in responding to your message , It was because I changed my phone and get a samsung s7 edge(128 GB).
I did not contact them in Twitter or Facebook. I only called my country customer service and they response was wrong and not satisfying (something like: adjust your phone brightness to auto mode !!). About your second question, unfortunately there is not a way using android noughat while still you have EMUI4. Dear althe, after four days using s7 edge (black pearl 128GB) I recommend* you switching to this phone, till it is very beautiful and has a very good performance and rich customization.

althe

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
Hi dear althe
I apologize for delay in responding to your message , It was because I changed my phone and get a samsung s7 edge(128 GB).
I did not contact them in Twitter or Facebook. I only called my country customer service and they response was wrong and not satisfying (something like: adjust your phone brightness to auto mode !!). About your second question, unfortunately there is not a way using android noughat while still you have EMUI4. Dear althe, after four days using s7 edge (black pearl 128GB) I recommend* you switching to this phone, till it is very beautiful and has a very good performance and rich customization.

Thanks for the reply. I may consider it.