I got curious, so I tried the OnePlus 3T. I have to say, it's a great phone. Everything about the phone was fast: the transition, finger print scanner and the camera. The camera took great pictures, but I think Honor 8 is more color accurate. But the OnePlus seemed to capture more details. Maybe that's the megapixel difference? And I really did like the size. Although Honor 8 is the perfect size, my eyes aren't what they used to be so a larger screen size was a welcome change.

But in the end, I stayed with Honor 8. I just couldn't get use to the 'stock' feel of Oxygen OS. I was missing some of the native apps and features of EMUI. Really, the only thing missing is the app drawer, which I'm looking forward to when nougat comes out. I'm hoping Honor 9 might be a 5.5 inch screen. If not, then I might go with Mate 9. But it looks like I'll be sticking with Huawei/Honor for a while.
    01-19-2017 01:38 PM
    I've tried a few of my friends new phones since getting my honor 8 and I feel the same. I don't think I'll be changing manufacturer for the foreseeable future. They have come on leaps and bounds in the short time since the honor 8 was released alone.
    libra89 and uw like this.
    01-19-2017 02:07 PM
    I got curious, so I tried the OnePlus 3T. I have to say, it's a great phone. Everything about the phone was fast: the transition, finger print scanner and the camera. The camera took great pictures, but I think Honor 8 is more color accurate. But the OnePlus seemed to capture more details. Maybe that's the megapixel difference? And I really did like the size. Although Honor 8 is the perfect size, my eyes aren't what they used to be so a larger screen size was a welcome change.

But in the end, I stayed with Honor 8. I just couldn't get use to the 'stock' feel of Oxygen OS. I was missing some of the native apps and features of EMUI. Really, the only thing missing is the app drawer, which I'm looking forward to when nougat comes out. I'm hoping Honor 9 might be a 5.5 inch screen. If not, then I might go with Mate 9. But it looks like I'll be sticking with Huawei/Honor for a while.
    One of the issues with OnePlus is the lack of expandable memory. I download music to my phone so that off the bat would be a deal breaker. Unless the 3t added this feature, have not done much research on that one only the previous.
    uw likes this.
    01-19-2017 02:46 PM
    I've tried a few of my friends new phones since getting my honor 8 and I feel the same. I don't think I'll be changing manufacturer for the foreseeable future. They have come on leaps and bounds in the short time since the honor 8 was released alone.
    Very true. They were pretty quick to do updates on this phone
    01-19-2017 05:15 PM
    Thank you for the mini review, OP! It's true that OnePlus vs Honor is a pretty interesting showdown: both phones are great!
    01-20-2017 09:00 AM
    I'm hoping Honor 9 might be a 5.5 inch screen. If not, then I might go with Mate 9. But it looks like I'll be sticking with Huawei/Honor for a while.
    The honor X series (4X/5X/6X) has been going for the 5.5inch display size, and the flagship honor series (6/7/8) have been going for the 5-5.2inch display. Last year they did release the honor 8 Note with a 6.6inch display, so maybe they will do something similar for honor 9 (or whatever comes after the 8).
    Morty2264 and libra89 like this.
    01-20-2017 10:56 AM
    Honor 8 is now on sale for $280 so it's no brainer.
    libra89 and Morty2264 like this.
    01-24-2017 06:48 PM
    I had both and kept the 3T. For me, a phones speed and fluidity is the most important. OP3T is noticeably smoother and faster at multitasking. The cameras are similar. Oxygen OS vs EMUI?... yeah oxygen all the way. The double tap, dark mode and other gestures work flawlessly. That's something I could never say before and I was really surprised. H8 is a great phone but for me, it's not superior to the 3t.
    01-24-2017 08:57 PM
    Who is selling for $280??
    01-25-2017 07:13 AM
    One of the issues with OnePlus is the lack of expandable memory. I download music to my phone so that off the bat would be a deal breaker. Unless the 3t added this feature, have not done much research on that one only the previous.
    It doesn't have microSD, which is a good thing. It has a 128 GB internal storage option, which is way better.
    01-25-2017 07:16 AM
    It doesn't have microSD, which is a good thing. It has a 128 GB internal storage option, which is way better.
    While i agree that internal is better, many people already have an SD card, and the 3t 128gb costs 66% more currently than the honor 8, based on current sales.
    libra89, Aquila and wcavaliere88 like this.
    01-25-2017 07:53 AM
    While i agree that internal is better, many people already have an SD card, and the 3t 128gb costs 66% more currently than the honor 8, based on current sales.
    Good point
    01-25-2017 10:32 AM
    Are the cameras really that similar? I am wondering if the 3T has a better camera. The only negative I have about my H8 is low light camera shots. Everything else is very good.

-Rich

I had both and kept the 3T. For me, a phones speed and fluidity is the most important. OP3T is noticeably smoother and faster at multitasking. The cameras are similar. Oxygen OS vs EMUI?... yeah oxygen all the way. The double tap, dark mode and other gestures work flawlessly. That's something I could never say before and I was really surprised. H8 is a great phone but for me, it's not superior to the 3t.
    01-25-2017 12:10 PM
    Are the cameras really that similar? I am wondering if the 3T has a better camera. The only negative I have about my H8 is low light camera shots. Everything else is very good.

-Rich
    Personally I find low light shots good in honor 8. It doesn't have hardware OIS built in but it is hard to beat the dual lens setup. This means, say when you are in a car or moving, the camera may produce blurred shots. Other than that, the camera, for what you pay, is phenomenal.
    libra89 and richv77 like this.
    01-25-2017 12:54 PM
    Also if you use wide aperture mode, you can also get possibly better results as well.
    01-25-2017 01:10 PM
    I can't do without external memory, especially for media storage and the premium for internal storage is OTT.
    01-25-2017 05:11 PM