Huawei/Honor gaining traction to become world's largest smartphone maker

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Interesting news: Huawei Closing in on Apple, Aims to Become World's Largest Smartphone Maker Within Four Years

And something interesting in the article:

But if Huawei ever wants to truly challenge Apple and Samsung, it will have to conquer a key market where it has failed to make a dent: the United States. Huawei does not even crack the list of top ten smartphone makers in the country, trailing behind smaller rivals such as BLU and OnePlus.

It will be an interesting next 4 years for Huawei/Honor and if they play their cards right, it will be a memorable one!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think that there are different goals. Apple doesn't really want to be the number one manufacturer... That would be easy... Just drop the price significantly. They want to make a huge profit.
ba676f005ed1e8c5325b3d3cbb5ed32d.jpg

With that said, more competition is better, and i really hope that Huawei can continue...it will put the heat on.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
The way they are going with quality handsets, it's only a matter of time. Everyone who looks at my honor 8 is more impressed than they ever were with any of my Samsung or HTC devices. Even some iPhone diehards love it, and that's no mean feature.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The way they are going with quality handsets, it's only a matter of time. Everyone who looks at my honor 8 is more impressed than they ever were with any of my Samsung or HTC devices. Even some iPhone diehards love it, and that's no mean feature.

Shouldn't be surprising since Honor certainly made it with iPhone users in mind. The Honor 8 is a premium device for sure. I wonder if it is meant as a loss leader to get into the market or if the current pricing is sustainable?

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
It's a bad market strategy to use a loss leader without a big marketing push and carrier partnerships to back it, so I sincerely hope it's not that.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I think the course will change soon with the US altering trade agreements.Phone makers in China may have to cut profits or increase sales in the rest of the globe.Whatever happens expect to pay more for less.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I hope Huawei can challenge the big guns like Samsung and Apple. Some people are so focused on brand that they won't try anything other than "mainstream." However, it looks like Huawei is making excellent strides and I've tried "different" once with my Honor 8 and it's pretty safe to say that I won't be returning to "popular" devices anytime soon! Branching out to try different products is awesome. Hope Honor and Huawei can get the recognition they deserve soon!

ce_tx

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
This phone is what kept me from going iPhone! Coming from Windows Phone, I just wanted a quality device with access to certain apps that I couldn't have on Windows. I planned on buying an iPhone SE, but somehow (and thankfully) came across the specs for the Honor 8. I'd be happy to see Huawei become more successful in the United States. Then again, I kinda like having the awesome phone that nobody's ever heard of. :p

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I have been thinking this ever since I bought my first Honor 8. I haven't read that article yet but my prediction is to give Huawei Honor two to three more years of strong US based presence and I personally think they will become the leader or surpass Samsung as the what you call Android household name. Their product speaks volumes for itself. If they can managed to stay true to their core roots which is the best device for the value there is no way possible they wouldn't overtake Samsung. I don't even compare them to Apple. Not bc apple is better but bc I'm speaking solely of android devices. I've never understood from day one why anyone would totally dislike EMUI 4.1. Not once have I ever thought about using my paid version of Nova over this interface. However what I just said, the total opposite could happen if they ignore their roots and economics. They've already proven you can make an equal to device to every current flagship at a great value. If they increase their pricing bc they feel like they need to compete with Samsung or Google that way instead of letting their product compete, they will fail miserably. I'm not saying a small increase will hurt but to price themselves right out of the customer market base who put them in this perfect position to be the top two or three household names would be sheer greed which sadly most companies always fall victim to from that evil mighty dollar. I've seen it happen in the high end Swiss Automatic watch industry and so it will happen to Huawei Honor if they don't stay their course. Right now if they stay true I give it two years, they are at the top here. Increase pricing to that of Samsung and Google they will do no better than HTC or LG and be considered good not the best. The ball lies heavily in their court bc they've got the product to back it up. Big head they don't crack the top 5, stay true to the course they have set thus far, the absolute household name go to Android device here in the US. I have no idea what that article says and I'll read it later but I wanted to give my thoughts without any bias from a authority trend type article rather I say what I think based on my user experience with their product which now all three of my devices are Huawei Honor. Honor 8, Media Pad 3 (by the way is so on even par with the iPad pro and heads and shoulders better than any Android tablet to date) and the Honor 5X that I was honored to win here. :). I hope to be using a Mate 9 very soon too. Would love to hear your thoughts and feedback to my prediction. I truly believe it will all happen this way depending what economic path this company takes. I strongly stand behind this. No article of any type that I've personally read has influenced any of what I just wrote. That folks is how it will play out.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Id love to see one good company succeed in the manner of letting their proven track record take them to the top and for once don't get so D***N greedy. I'm not holding my breath though. Money seems to change everything when there's a "possibility" only to make more of it. If they stay the course they'll make more long term. Economics!!!!

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Robots assembling tech aren't cheaper they're simply much more reliable which in turn cuts costs.
I'm waiting for Huawei to begin advertising here in the states.

Has anyone seen any advertising or other kind of marketing anywhere around the globe other than China yet?
If few know what you have then few will decide to buy what you make.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Robots assembling tech aren't cheaper they're simply much more reliable which in turn cuts costs.

Has anyone seen any advertising or other kind of marketing anywhere around the globe other than China yet?
Once US carriers pick them up they will skyrocket. Not always about quirky advertising or constant in your face like Samsung. I think they can do this even with just subtle advertising once all US carriers offer them.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Where's any guarantee US carriers will pick up Huawei products?

Will carriers appreciate and be able to align with EMUI or will a new slew of phones need to be carrier branded bloat on their version of Android?
The tide is turning away from carrier branded phones in my opinion.
Personally I would steer clear of carrier branding.

Huawei has some work to do in the complex US market.
Not to mention higher prices for offshore tech products coming to a store near you soon.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Key to it is they stay true to their current core which is the best devices at the best value. Not one top company can truly say that and back it up. Huawei honor can only if they stay their course. Long term it will make them triple the money the short term advertising will do. No different than taking a Nexus 6p and saying they majorly changed it and then Google branded it with their name pixel and doubled the price. I know bc I've used both. There is no way on this earth the Pixel is $350 dollars better value than the Nexus 6p. Greed and Google branding equals double price hike. None of these companies listens to basic economics anymore. They all aren't in reality and only compete with each other instead of providing a high end device at the best economic value for the customer. None do right now that are at the top and Huawei Honor could so easily capitalize on their egos if so they choose to. I'm purposely not reading any articles in regard to Huawei Honor US tends just to see if economics 101 is worth the book it was written in and to also see how Huawei plans to take care of their customer as opposed to totally forgetting about them and getting into an ego battle war with their competitors. Telling you this is exactly the same trend the high end Swiss watch industry is struggling with right now. All the best companies are struggling while maybe two or three stayed true to the market which are excelling during the toughest economic times.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Well my best to Huawei.
When they put the best foot forward their products are a winner.

Pricing on honor products will rise though.
That's just how it is today.

I'm glad the honor 8 came my way.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Interesting news: Huawei Closing in on Apple, Aims to Become World's Largest Smartphone Maker Within Four Years

And something interesting in the article:

But if Huawei ever wants to truly challenge Apple and Samsung, it will have to conquer a key market where it has failed to make a dent: the United States. Huawei does not even crack the list of top ten smartphone makers in the country, trailing behind smaller rivals such as BLU and OnePlus.

It will be an interesting next 4 years for Huawei/Honor and if they play their cards right, it will be a memorable one!

Thanks for the article link digital break! :)

I'm personally always rooting for the underdog. When ever i walk around shopping malls all you see is Samsung and iPhones. It would be awesome to see a Honor 8 or a OnePlus 3T or maybe even a Blackberry!

Should be very exciting times in the next 5 years! Cant wait to see what happens :D

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Apparently, Chinese companies are set to significantly raise prices to offset any trade restrictions put in place by the current administration.
This could put the brakes on.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I haven't seen anything advertising-wise in Canada. A rep at the Rogers store didn't know what an Honor 8 was. And people here do ask me what kind of phone I have - one said it looked like an iPhone, and my aversion-to-Apple nature made me cringe internally LOOL.

Hopefully Honor/Huawei makes more tracks in terms of advertising in North America, because these are worthwhile products at great prices.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
As soon as US carriers pick them up is when you'll see an immediate increase in all facets for this company. It's a matter of getting the phone in customers hands and then it's off from there.