How do I downgrade from EMUI 5.0 on Honor 8? I just received the update and can't stand it.

A

AC Question

Please help me downgrade my phone. I really wouldn't have purchased this phone a couple months ago if I knew it was going to look like this. I hate EMUI 5.0. I respect that others like it but please just help me get my phone back.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
If you have FDR-L04 which is the 32gb version, then you can from their site.

If you have FDR-L14, Honor doesn't have the firmware in their site. Please talk to the support.

coocoobean

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Thank you so much as I have found the link to 4.1 on their support site. I am a noob to this though. I am downloading the 1.6gb package right now to my chromebook, but how do I go about applying that to my phone?

coocoobean

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
I didn't like the look of the notification icons in the top right in addition look of the notification shade. Everything seems to have changed in a way that looks foreign and horrifying for me but I am very sensitive to changes.

Niloc57

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I need to go back aswell, simply because it has stopped my barclays banking apps from working, can you easily do this just using the phone

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I need to go back aswell, simply because it has stopped my barclays banking apps from working, can you easily do this just using the phone

It's possible but I would proceed with caution if I was you. Trying to do that with the US 32gb model broke my phone but fortunately Huawei/Honor is fixing it.

So your mileage may vary, good luck either way.

AimD

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
I can't recommend trying to rollback. Here's my message from another thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=771608&p=5699840&viewfull=1#post5699840

I tried to roll back from Emui 5 to Emui 4.1 last monday, following the official guide to the letter. All went okay until the last step, after trying to install the 4.1 ended up with my phone in boot loop, it wouldn't run the os, but didn't stay powered off either.

Managed to enter eRecovery mode, and the phone told me "data partition was damaged seriously!". It offered to download a recovery file, but couldn't establish wifi connection. I took it to a shop, and few days later received a whole new phone.

Super lucky that this replacement is "old" enough to still have Emui 4.1, now I'm doing everything in my power so it doesn't update to Emui 5, not anytime soon anyway.

Yeah. Rollback from 5 to 4.1? Don't freaking do it.

Colin JS

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I'd say stick with it in order to get Nougat's enhancements e.g. split screen and better quick shortcuts. And then install Nova Launcher Prime for a vastly superior front end with gestures and granular control over your homescreen. If you use widgets then those giant EMUI icons just take up too much space - as on iOS. (Wonder were they designed for the visually challenged?)

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I don't see all these huge changes from 4.1 to 5.0 to be honest. Could be that I may just adapt easier to it bc my main concern was I didn't want to loose the feel and interface of EMUI which I didn't so the upgrade to 5.0 has been painless. I will say 4.1 was awesome but I'd much rather have their lastest e everything to include security too. I understand though if some see a difference bc there is but it wasn't enough to me to make me want to downgrade back.

Alain Paul

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
Question related to this post: I was robbed so bought the P9 Lite and it is great. Soon as I got it, I updated to EMUI 5.0. Then found out about app twin. That is not included but apparently it will be back in future updates, was told this by support today. I am not so trusting. Third party apps work but significantly slow down the phone. What would anyone suggest? Rollback?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Question related to this post: I was robbed so bought the P9 Lite and it is great. Soon as I got it, I updated to EMUI 5.0. Then found out about app twin. That is not included but apparently it will be back in future updates, was told this by support today. I am not so trusting. Third party apps work but significantly slow down the phone. What would anyone suggest? Rollback?

I would just rollback if you need it now... No idea how long an update will take to fix it...

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
There's third-party apps that do the same thing - try App Cloner from the Play Store

Xavier poncruz

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
I wanted to downgrade from EMUI 5.0 to EMUI 4.1 but the 5.0 is far better than 4.1 in terms of ui and features, but i don't think the battery life is same as that was before, seems to drain a little quicker in 5.0, just now i have bought the mobile (past week), updated it before 2 days. But it requires some stability patches in future.
Or
If there is any recommendations or suggestions for better battery life. Please help through.

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I think part of the battery problem is that emui is based off nougat 7.0. seems Google fixed some battery Gremlins when they updated to 7.1. unfortunately Huawei has us stuck on 7.0 . You can do the battery settings and turn off all the background processes you don't need. You can also set nonessential app to close when in sleep mode. Other than that, hope and pray we get Oreo soon (or ever).