Rolling back to EMUI 4.1, my sour experience

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Before I get into my experience, I have some disclaimers.
1) I have used Android phones for a year now.
2) I'm not one for beta testing, rooting or using custom ROMs. I'm all about the "boring" stability life.
3) I'm not saying that this WILL happen to you but know that it can happen and just take it as something to keep in mind.

As for the experience itself, I got the update for my Honor 8 and I was excited but then I found that I didn't like some things. Most of all, it broke my non-Google calendar, which already made me not as much of a fan about this update. Tried a number of free calendars with no luck. I need my calendar.

Since it worked before on EMUI 4.1/Android 6.0, I decided to download the official rollback update from the HiHonor support website. I followed the directions about removing the file into the dload folder (or if there isn't one, create it) on internal storage. I did the button combo the first time and I saw "update successful". Tried it again to do the next step and it didn't work, as it kept saying that the software update couldn't be found so it failed.

It kept failing so I went back to the directions. I tried to reload the file to see if that would do anything but it seemed not to work still. Then I did the worst thing ever without knowing it. I factory reset my phone with the file still in it and it broke my phone essentially. Somehow doing that broke the keyboards. The only available keyboard is a voice keyboard, which you can't even work with, because of passwords and such.

I have wiped the cache partition a few times throughout all of this, along with more factory/hard resets. No matter what, I only have a voice keyboard so now my Honor 8 is now a $300 paperweight.

Since I registered my phone, I'll see if Honor can do anything for me with their support but as for now, I'm tired. I have tried various things and I have lost a couple of nights trying to make this work. Just wanted to share my story as a possible warning.

(Since I'm a chronic phone switcher, I have my other non-Android phones to use.)

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
That's very unfortunate. That's why I don't like to use autoloader to rollback or update for possibility of bricking the phone. I am not sure what calendar feature is broken for you but i use blackberry launcher with blackberry calendar and I have no problem.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
That's very unfortunate. That's why I don't like to use autoloader to rollback or update for possibility of bricking the phone. I am not sure what calendar feature is broken for you but i use blackberry launcher with blackberry calendar and I have no problem.

Yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to do that. I thought it would work like it did when I rolled back to iOS 9 several months ago (on my iPhone SE of course).

For me, all of my calendars are hosted in Outlook. I used to be able to see them on 6.0 in the phone calendar. I had no luck with it. I have heard a lot about BB's calendar and apps, so I believe that it works well for you.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
@libra89

Such a painful experience.
I was hoping you would be able overcome this dilemma.
Frankly I'm a bit less confident about the future with the honor myself.

There has to be a fix if the phone still boots.
Honor should retract the rollback package and send you a new phone in my opinion since were trying to downdate in good faith.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
@libra89

Such a painful experience.
I was hoping you would be able overcome this dilemma.
Frankly I'm a bit less confident about the future with the honor myself.

There has to be a fix if the phone still boots.
Honor should retract the rollback package and send you a new phone in my opinion since were trying to downdate in good faith.
Thank you.
I agree, that would be nice. I can try to see what they say.

Yeah, I think it's worth try. Ask for a replacement.
Alright, I'll contact them tomorrow to try to ask for that. I don't know if I feel like calling today.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Keep us updated if Honor, Honors their phone! Let's hope they do and take care of their small loyal fan base they've made thus far. I see them on the right track but nothing is bullet proof. Explain to them but also let them know you believed in their product enough to spend YOUR hard earned money on it. Explaining in that manner should help you I believe. They don't want any bad press on these strong forums as a lot of their business is generated right here alone. Let us know. Sorry for your troubles.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
@libra89

I'm sure you've already checked...Just in case post in the Honor community forum too.

I haven't thought of that, thanks!

I did contact them and they want me to send it in to fix it. They will pay for the shipping back to them. I had to take pictures to show that it is in good condition though, which is no problem.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Keep us updated if Honor, Honors their phone! Let's hope they do and take care of their small loyal fan base they've made thus far. I see them on the right track but nothing is bullet proof. Explain to them but also let them know you believed in their product enough to spend YOUR hard earned money on it. Explaining in that manner should help you I believe. They don't want any bad press on these strong forums as a lot of their business is generated right here alone. Let us know. Sorry for your troubles.
Thank you, will do! I explained to them what happened and they will pay for shipping to have my Honor sent back to them so that they can fix it.
I just sent pictures of mine and I will be in touch with them tomorrow morning to confirm that they received them (they are closing soon so no point).

Sent from mTalk

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
@libra89! I am so sorry that happened to you! That is so awful! I definitely get what you mean about calendars - I need my calendar in order to keep myself organized and sane! I hope Honor comes through for you with support! Please keep us posted!

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
What is your Honor 8 model?

Based on that you will need to download the system image appropriately. It's all there in XDA forums - links to official Honor 8 model images from Honor.

I factory reset my phone with the file still in it and it broke my phone essentially. Somehow doing that broke the keyboards. The only available keyboard is a voice keyboard, which you can't even work with, because of passwords and such.

You will fall into this when you have the wrong system image. This happened to me when I downloaded FDR-L04 for my FDR-L14 model.

Also, at least US Honor support page does not have the images for the 64 GB model FDR-L14 and only FDR-L04 in their site which is ridiculous as it will fail when L14 folks restore with that image.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
What is your Honor 8 model?

Based on that you will need to download the system image appropriately. It's all there in XDA forums - links to official Honor 8 model images from Honor.

You will fall into this when you have the wrong system image. This happened to me when I downloaded FDR-L04 for my FDR-L14 model.

Also, at least US Honor support page does not have the images for the 64 GB model FDR-L14 and only FDR-L04 in their site which is ridiculous as it will fail when L14 folks restore with that image.
I have a 32gb FRD-L04 Honor 8, and that's the exact one I downloaded and used. On their website, I believe the download is called Honor 8 rollback package for FRD-L04.
I don't understand why they don't have the 64gb model though.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't thought of that, thanks!

I did contact them and they want me to send it in to fix it. They will pay for the shipping back to them. I had to take pictures to show that it is in good condition though, which is no problem.

that sucks that they won't send you a replacement first. But at least they replace it for you

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Just wanted to offer an update to everyone. I received my shipping label yesterday but part of the address line was incorrect so they had to send me a new label. I just received the label and I will be dropping it off tonight. It's going through next day air (whoa!) so they will receive it soon.

I'll update when I get more news.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to offer an update to everyone. I received my shipping label yesterday but part of the address line was incorrect so they had to send me a new label. I just received the label and I will be dropping it off tonight. It's going through next day air (whoa!) so they will receive it soon.

I'll update when I get more news.

Sucks about the mistake but at least that are responsive and paid for overnight shipping