Poor battery life when streaming audio

qu4ntumrush

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
For the past two days I've been streaming fair to moderate with Pulsar (local), Soma FM (4G), and Pocketcast (Wifi) and it must be the biggest battery sucker of any daily activities. Until now I've been pleased with the battery life - I can usually go two days before having to charge it. Now the battery is in the 30s at the end of the day which is twice as bad as it used to be. My SoT today was only 1hr24min, and since I believe this phone could max out at 4hrs it's really egregious to see it vanquished by music. While I don't know if I am actually listening to music longer this is the first time the battery has been a problem.

Then again, if there's one thing I've learned, restarting solves 99% of Android problems.

wcavaliere88

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
How was your network signal during streaming? If you were in a bad reception area that could explain the excess drain. If you can try to switch from streaming to downloading to a SD card. I have music downloaded to the SD card through Amazon prime (Google play also works). This hardly affects battery life compared to streaming over network or wifi.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
It does sound like you may have poor optimisation on your apps access to data and your battery settings not killing apps properly.
f7a4bd8b8c4121a5d543d375d9b1c2ae.jpg

Today I have had over 3hrs screen on time by 50%

qu4ntumrush

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
I did restart, but battery is still hit and miss. Today 10 hours after unplugging it's at 40% after listening mainly from an SD card. My LTE signal is 2-3 bars where I work but I even toggled it on and off when I wasn't using data. I don't know if any of the apps are known to be power-hungry (mAh ranges fro 50-150) or if it's abnormal.

vinchendoh

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi

Same for me with Pocketcast. Absolute battery killer. I changed to BeyondPod and it cut the power consumption level by half. I have a Pixel XL and don't get this probelm.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
My battery has never been as good as it once was and I've come to the conclusion it's most likely two things which will or should fall in line with your case too. One, we've all used our phones now day in day out for a while now. I believe a battery takes a while to settle in and find its typical normalcy mark (after heavy regular based usage) and two, like one of the posters said, App consumption. Even if I think I've shut all my power consuming Apps down, they end up reopening and remain to run in the background which pulls from battery life. That said, the honor 8 I'd still consider to be above average even though it doesn't appear to as good as it once was. Overall with most of us using our phones daily heavy usage we all still get a decent and above average battery life I think. I just know I'm charging my honor 8 much more often than I used to have to. I used to get my best battery performance when I hovered between 75 percent to 85 percent but now it even drains from my old optimal level. It's two fold. One being us the user and two, being the phone and how it is consuming the battery life. The only sure fire way to fix it is wipe the phone factory fresh and load the bare minimum of apps and you'll see a much better overall battery life but then where is the fun in that limiting oneself of apps that you typically keep on your phone whether they see daily use or not. I'm just dealing with mine and have accepted that it's both of those factors that come into play.