Issues with camera focus

A

AC Question

Hi. I'm rocking a hardly two months old Honor 8 and I'm having an issue where sometimes the camera focuses properly and sometimes doesn't. This just started happening about a week ago.

Before you ask, no, I'm not using wide aperture mode and I don't see any scratches or anything like that on either of the lenses. I have a few scratches on the phone screen, though.

Turtleninja

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
Hi, OP here. No progress and I didn't really understand organgecroc's suggestion so I couldn't follow up on that.

The camera does tend to work properly more often, but it's still only maybe one out of five times that it does.

Thing is it works great for macro shots when the subject is maybe 0-5cm away. I tried to go to pro photo and use manual focus but no luck there either. It's like the camera is stuck focusing on objects up close.

josephamathew

May 21, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
I am having the exact same problem with my honor 8. It focuses perfectly when the object is near the phone. But does not focus when the object is further away.
It started this behavior a few weeks ago. Until then it was fine

Grossebaffe

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Same problem here.
The mechanical focus system seems to be very capricious. Sometimes it just refuses to activate either when you want it to focus automatically or when you do it manually.
It seems to work even less when you try it in a low light environment.

Sometimes a gentle hit near the captors fixes the problem though, sometimes.

Any one with a good solution?

It's impressive to see that when it works you can hear the focusing system, but when it doesn't not even a sound. The thing isn't even trying.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Even expensive DSLRs struggle to focus in low light situations, decrying a small sensored mobile phone camera is a bit odd. How close is the subject you're trying to focus on, the minimum focus distance on the camera is about 30cm

Grossebaffe

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Yup, course. Even with the stock application (and others non-stock obviously) you even have access to a slider to manually change the focus.
When it's "unblocked" it perfectly works of course, and you can hear the mechanical focus going up and down, but when it doesn't work, well... it doesn't work manually or automatically, it's just "blocked".

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
You really shouldn't be able to hear the focussing motor anyway, which makes me think your device has a hardware problem.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Have you dropped it on the corner with the camera module at all? That might account for the strange noises as well as the lack of fast or accurate focus.

Grossebaffe

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
To be honest it started before I dropped it a lot of time (never from high though. 30-40cm max each time). And the drops never made it worse or better.
I'll try to change the lenses I guess. But god I hate warming that fr**kin' glue they put everywhere now...

Grossebaffe

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
FYI
The last update made it worst, so I ordered new lenses (delivery was very long).
It wasn't a hard fix, the only difficulty being to warm with a hairdryer and open that stupid back case.
Everything is now in order and the camera is working well again (as it is a new one eheh). Yipi!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
FYI
The last update made it worst, so I ordered new lenses (delivery was very long).
It wasn't a hard fix, the only difficulty being to warm with a hairdryer and open that stupid back case.
Everything is now in order and the camera is working well again (as it is a new one eheh). Yipi!

So glad everything is working out for you now! Thanks for following up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol