I can't turn off "OK Google".

Matt Manahan

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Update: Vanessa suggested I deny microphone access for Google in permssions settings, and that fixed the problem below. Deleting the OK Google voice model also fixes it.

Whenever I use video or microphone in an application (such as Soundhound and Snapchat), I get an error message:

"com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox:interactor will not be able to record right now"

It's annoying b/c it pops up over the application I'm using. This happened before and I had to turn off Google voice detection (i.e. OK Google).

But now, it won't turn off! I unclick the option in Google Assistant and exit the settings, but it reverts to being on. I've tried restarting my phone and unclicking the option several times. In addition to the annoying popup, I don't need my phone always listening for "OK Google".

Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have...It'll turn off, but when I exit the setting screen, it turns back on. I did my first screen recording (woohoo!) to show the problem. You'll see how annoying the error message is.

https://youtu.be/mwvYh7sdkQY

I was getting that same error message while trying to record voice messages on Facebook Messenger. I think I went into my Settings app and then to the Google section, and disabled "Ok, Google" from there. But yes, that was very annoying. Especially when you're trying to send funny noises to your brother that last longer than two seconds. :p

Vanessa Lynd

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I have...It'll turn off, but when I exit the setting screen, it turns back on. I did my first screen recording (woohoo!) to show the problem. You'll see how annoying the error message is.

https://youtu.be/mwvYh7sdkQY

Same thing happened to me. I was using Viber and Google Duo. I couldn't turn off Ok Google- it would just turn back on. Here's what I did : go to phone settings and microphone permissions, deny it for google app. I may have turned off Google assistant too. See if it works and post results here. Good luck!

Matt Manahan

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. I was using Viber and Google Duo. I couldn't turn off Ok Google- it would just turn back on. Here's what I did : go to phone settings and microphone permissions, deny it for google app. I may have turned off Google assistant too. See if it works and post results here. Good luck!

Thanks, Vanessa!!!!! Denying the microphone permission worked. It sucks that I can't use voice search now, but I use it rarely compared to other things that trigger that annoying notification.

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
So I've turned assistant off but whenever I long press the home button it still launches into the app and asks me to set up. Is there anyway to disable this as well? I'd rather use the long press for something else.

kupaku

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
You can disable assistant pop up when you press the home button:

Settings
Apps
Settings (down to the left)
Default app settings
Assistance & voice input
Assist app
Chose "None"

jbdroid71

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Why do any android users put up with with ANY of these "work arounds"? These complaints should go directly to Google for a permanent FIX. Our phones are supposed to be "smart" but instead they are "dumb" :) I have the same problem using Google assistant with a Plantronics PT Legend. None of the above "solutions" have fixed this issue. Help us Andoid Central!!!

BTW using Samsung S7 using Android 7.0

Last edited:

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Why do any android users put up with with ANY of these "work arounds"? These complaints should go directly to Google for a permanent FIX. Our phones are supposed to be "smart" but instead they are "dumb" :) I have the same problem using Google assistant with a Plantronics PT Legend. None of the above "solutions" have fixed this issue. Help us Andoid Central!!!

BTW using Samsung S7 using Android 7.0

Not just Google. Phone manufacturers seem to be taking away more features than they give. It's a "we'll tell you what you need" kind of world vs what consumers actually want.