Why is my keyboard not accessible in my Honor 8?

RF10sen

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
I am trying to set up my phone after it got reset by accident. But when I try to write something, only google voice mode is available. For some reason the keyboard is not there. Since the phone was factory reset, I cannot access the settings (or anything else) until I enter an (google) account that was previously synced on the device. I use the power and volume buttons to (deliberately) factory reset it but the problem still remains. I tried to ¨wipe cache partitions¨ but still no keyboard. I contacted Huawei but they could not help me either. Can someone please help?

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried going into the settings and selecting a default keyboard? It's located under Apps, then the settings toggle on the bottom left, then default apps setting.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Weird, this seems to be an EMUI 5 problem, just noticed the input notification doesn't come up when a keyboard is active.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Any updates on your situation, OP? If you still cannot access the phone due to lack of keyboard, I suggest contacting Honor customer service online.

RF10sen

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
I did but they told me that it is probably an internal problem and that I cannot do anything about it. They told me the only option was to send it into repair. But the thing is my phone was perfectly fine but then it got reset accident while in pocket. I cannot get back in there ever since.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I did but they told me that it is probably an internal problem and that I cannot do anything about it. They told me the only option was to send it into repair. But the thing is my phone was perfectly fine but then it got reset accident while in pocket. I cannot get back in there ever since.
I figured that might happen. I've never heard of a phone factory resetting in someone's pocket. Kinda sounds like a hardware issue, though I'm just speculating. Sorry about your experience.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've never tried this until now. You can spell out your login through the mic. Not sure about the password.

Awesome tip! Thanks for that! Hopefully this works for you, OP! And I'm sorry that Honor wasn't super helpful for you. Hopefully you can sort this out without having to send your phone in for repair.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Awesome tip! Thanks for that! Hopefully this works for you, OP! And I'm sorry that Honor wasn't super helpful for you. Hopefully you can sort this out without having to send your phone in for repair.
I tried entering the password on my credit card app. The option wasn't available. That's not too say it's not an option when logging into a phone. I don't know.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I've never tried this until now. You can spell out your login through the mic. Not sure about the password.

It's not going to allow you to do it for passwords. @RF10sen , I would suggest sending it in for repair. I don't know where you are in the world but Honor will fix it fast.

RF10sen

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
I manage to get in by using ok google or google voice or google talk or whatever it is called. I used my phone number instead of my email and then for the passwords, I spoke a bunch of words and out of these words, I took the specific letters or numbers that make up my password. A little bit of thinking but I did not have to pay any money.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I manage to get in by using ok google or google voice or google talk or whatever it is called. I used my phone number instead of my email and then for the passwords, I spoke a bunch of words and out of these words, I took the specific letters or numbers that make up my password. A little bit of thinking but I did not have to pay any money.
So, just to be clear, your Honor 8 is up and running? How's it going?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

Glad it worked out for you without having to surrender your phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

So glad it worked out for you! That was a genius plan! :)

noufal9956

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I am trying to set up my phone after it got reset by accident. But when I try to write something, only google voice mode is available. For some reason the keyboard is not there. Since the phone was factory reset, I cannot access the settings (or anything else) until I enter an (google) account that was previously synced on the device. I use the power and volume buttons to (deliberately) factory reset it but the problem still remains. I tried to ¨wipe cache partitions¨ but still no keyboard. I contacted Huawei but they could not help me either. Can someone please help?

Dear Friend,
It happens to me also, i reset my google password through voice then i enter an easy password to sign in playstore, after that i download huawei backup then i connect to my pc restore my backup.(i took backup before factory reset).if you are still stuck try this step.if you don't have back up i think you can download a virtual keyboard and use your phone.
thanks and best regards
ibrahim noufal