life with out the honor 8

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I ended up selling my honor 8 and picking up the mate9. Also due to inconsistent billing issues with att I will be switching carriers. Most likely to a cdma carrier, which means no unlocked phones. I hope that us carriers start to actually pay attention to the honor brands and Huawei in general. What I can say is that I don't actually miss either phone. What I miss is emui 4.1. The most solid functioning UI in have used that was distinctly different from all other basic android phones. Then emui 5.0 was just another basic *** UI that copied everything everybody else did. Absolutely no difference from any other UI on the market. Having used LG, Samsung, ZTE, HTC, ASUS AND EMUI 5 all with in 4 months it was clear that emui 5 was just another cookie cutter crap UI. I thought the mate 9 would be different nope same basic samsung UI copy. I guess what I'm getting at is I thought would miss the honor 8 and the mate 9. In the end they have successfully made another copy of the same exact UI that is on every phone ever made that has android running it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
EMUI 4.1 was really good - I liked its innovation. And I think I also had better battery life under 4.1. EMUI 5 is pretty good in my opinion; but yeah, the quality and uniqueness of 4.1 is definitely something to marvel at.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
EMUI 4.1 was really good - I liked its innovation. And I think I also had better battery life under 4.1. EMUI 5 is pretty good in my opinion; but yeah, the quality and uniqueness of 4.1 is definitely something to marvel at.
Battery life may have taken a bit of a hit, but EMUI 5.0 manages ram better. IMDb used to lag for me on 4.1, now non-existent on 5.0. Also, on 4.1 I consistently had about 2.4 gigs of ram available with no apps open. Now I'm around 2.8/2.9 consistently.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
EMUI 4.1 was bareable. I think most of the gushing recently is down to some rose tinted glasses because it was the initial experience on the honor 8 and that was the wow factor.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
EMUI 4.1 was bareable. I think most of the gushing recently is down to some rose tinted glasses because it was the initial experience on the honor 8 and that was the wow factor.

I think you have a point, for sure. 4.1 is nostalgic and our first introduction to the Honor 8 so of course we'd want to hang onto that in some way - maybe by "thinking" some aspects of the experience were better than they actually were, or better than ensuing updates.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Nothing nostalgic at all for myself. It was an amazingly unique user interface. It was still Android but done in a way the set it apart from from every other basic Android experience. I'm not saying that 5 is bad all I'm saying is that it's 110% not any different from any other Android experience. This forum use to be full of howmnice and refreshing 4.1 is and how well it works. Now all I read in here are people with issues on 5.0 let that sink in. When was the last thread about 5.0 anybody read that talked about how unique and different it was yet still very functional. I haven't found one. Probably because there is nothing unique about 5.0 it's just a basic UI that copies what other people have already done 100 times over. They went from innovating to following in a single update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel