Wondering if I'll come back now

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
So I bought the Moto Z Play and I have always loved the mods. So now I find myself wondering if the Honor 8 will in fact come back to my daily grinder. Its up in the air for me right now. The Z Play is a ton like the Z Force that Verizon has which I owned a while back when first released when I was with them. So I am loving the Z Play. I do miss EMUI. That's just how much different it is than Android in general. Not sure or I may just swap out ever so often and enjoy both I suppose.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Decisions, decisions... :)
Very tough then there is also the Honor 9 about to hit next month. That makes it even harder to go back. I really wish my charging issues would have held off until the Honor 9 was released and if so I would have gotten it. Still though the Z Play is a dang good device. I am just not keen on a 5.5 inch screen being my main daily phone though. I guess I'll get used to it. For a daily phone if I could choose it would be 5 inches.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I say do both. I love the Honor 8 but the Z Play is super cool too! If you can switch between the two, go for it!

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
That sounds like a good idea! Hopefully honor will warranty my device. Over at XDA I've heard they are absolutely horrible and rarely warranty a device. If that is the case I will flat out throw my honor in the garbage and they no longer will have my strong loyal support like everyone has seen of me here. I mean that. EMUI being the best or not.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like a good idea! Hopefully honor will warranty my device. Over at XDA I've heard they are absolutely horrible and rarely warranty a device. If that is the case I will flat out throw my honor in the garbage and they no longer will have my strong loyal support like everyone has seen of me here. I mean that. EMUI being the best or not.

Hopefully they will warranty it for you!

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Me too. They want my receipt or a picture of it but I simply don't have it. They just need to use my IEMI number and that should be sufficient. I've got to call them back tomorrow now before I send the 100 pics they want of my device before they issue me a RA number and label. I hope not having my original receipt is not going to be a problem. I'll keep you guys posted for sure as I wish I knew what caused mine to do this so I could inform you all what not to do. Seems it's a common issue from what I read on the XDA forums. The same exact thing they have had happen too. I've even done a hard reset with recovery and that charging screen still appears and defaults to reverse charging. What a major bummer.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Me too. They want my receipt or a picture of it but I simply don't have it. They just need to use my IEMI number and that should be sufficient. I've got to call them back tomorrow now before I send the 100 pics they want of my device before they issue me a RA number and label. I hope not having my original receipt is not going to be a problem. I'll keep you guys posted for sure as I wish I knew what caused mine to do this so I could inform you all what not to do. Seems it's a common issue from what I read on the XDA forums. The same exact thing they have had happen too. I've even done a hard reset with recovery and that charging screen still appears and defaults to reverse charging. What a major bummer.

This makes me frightened for my own device. I really hope customer service compensates you in some way. Are you sticking with your Z Play?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
This makes me frightened for my own device. I really hope customer service compensates you in some way. Are you sticking with your Z Play?
Well until I read all the bad reviews on the XDA forums about Huawei and their warranty I had thought about returning it and just buying a burner phone. Now I'm quite unsure of what to expect so in a way I feel like I need to keep the Z Play just in case they don't honor my warranty for faulty software. You guys know I've posted here quite a while and know my enthusiasm for Honor and EMUI but after reading the posts and then finding out that the software error I have isn't just specific to me rather it's happening to quite a few others opens up quite a bit of doubt now. So either way I go I'm still out $399 but that being said I do like the Z Play. EMUI no doubt is still my favorite and my first choice. My expectations that I'll get a rightful warranty are now not very high. So I guess it's two fold. Yes the honor 8 is one of the best devices out there but at the same time you also possibly get what you pay for too but I hope I'm wrong about that. You get a awesome deal on a premium device new but when it comes a time that a true warranty is needed then the reports I've read have suggested just as I stated that you in that regard get what you paid for. So I'm going to stay with my Z Play and if honor replaces or repairs my phone rightfully then I guess I'll have two good devices to swap back and forth with. Overall I did not have any intention of buying another phone as I've loved my honor since day one. I just can't take the chance now after reading the negatives about their warranty. Honor is still my first choice unless they don't honor my warranty.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well until I read all the bad reviews on the XDA forums about Huawei and their warranty I had thought about returning it and just buying a burner phone. Now I'm quite unsure of what to expect so in a way I feel like I need to keep the Z Play just in case they don't honor my warranty for faulty software. You guys know I've posted here quite a while and know my enthusiasm for Honor and EMUI but after reading the posts and then finding out that the software error I have isn't just specific to me rather it's happening to quite a few others opens up quite a bit of doubt now. So either way I go I'm still out $399 but that being said I do like the Z Play. EMUI no doubt is still my favorite and my first choice. My expectations that I'll get a rightful warranty are now not very high. So I guess it's two fold. Yes the honor 8 is one of the best devices out there but at the same time you also possibly get what you pay for too but I hope I'm wrong about that. You get a awesome deal on a premium device new but when it comes a time that a true warranty is needed then the reports I've read have suggested just as I stated that you in that regard get what you paid for. So I'm going to stay with my Z Play and if honor replaces or repairs my phone rightfully then I guess I'll have two good devices to swap back and forth with. Overall I did not have any intention of buying another phone as I've loved my honor since day one. I just can't take the chance now after reading the negatives about their warranty. Honor is still my first choice unless they don't honor my warranty.

I very much agree with what you're saying. Customer support and warranty promises are really important when it comes to buying a product. I really hope you get your replacement or at least some kind of recompense.

How long have you had your Honor 8? I've had mine for about five months. I bought it unlocked and so if something happens to it, I feel like I'd be in the same boat as you - I'd have to go through Huawei. Rogers doesn't even know what an Honor 8 is LOOL. Plus my backup phone (LG G3) has a corrupt battery so I'd be screwed. This makes me nervous.

Please keep us updated on your situation! I definitely understand your frustration. The Honor 8 is great, but if you can't trust their manufacturer/customer service when you need it, then that certainly taints the phone's calibre.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I very much agree with what you're saying. Customer support and warranty promises are really important when it comes to buying a product. I really hope you get your replacement or at least some kind of recompense.

How long have you had your Honor 8? I've had mine for about five months. I bought it unlocked and so if something happens to it, I feel like I'd be in the same boat as you - I'd have to go through Huawei. Rogers doesn't even know what an Honor 8 is LOOL. Plus my backup phone (LG G3) has a corrupt battery so I'd be screwed. This makes me nervous.

Please keep us updated on your situation! I definitely understand your frustration. The Honor 8 is great, but if you can't trust their manufacturer/customer service when you need it, then that certainly taints the phone's calibre.
Very well said and very well written. Yes indeed you are exactly correct. I've had my honor 8 I'd say since November of last year. I've been a frequent poster hear on this forum and I've even won a contest which I had no clue that I was even competing in for my posts/articles you could say that were in full support of this device. Yes, I'm very frustrated not only with what I've read but the entire deal that they honor expects me, one who has promoted their device and praised their product to go without a phone instead of just replacing my unit under warranty so I'd not have to go without nor would I had to go out and buy a new phone to enable me to send my honor out. Now I've spent $399 on the Moto Z Play which I do love and honor may now have very well lost my loyalty. My issue is clearly from what I researched a common software issue and isn't just specific to me which is why I feel they should have just sent me a replacement with a return label for my defected device. Most likely I will not buy the Honor 9 nor the Mate now. Honor or Huawei no doubt had all the tools to rival Samsung head to head with EMUI being their smoking gun but where they will fail I see now is where Samsung shines through which is after sales service and customer appreciation. This plays a major role for me if I'm to be retained as a returning or repeat customer. So in a way honor has lost my business. I do miss EMUI as it is butter smooth compared to stock Android but stock Android isn't horrible enough for me not to use it. I've still got to jump through hoops just to be issued a return number still yet. So I've not even begun the process but I will eventually. I'll keep everyone posted and I hope your honor does not get the software glitch mine and so many others have gotten that ironically are specifically the same defect. It's why Samsung has already proven their after sales commitment where honor hasn't hasn't recognized this to be a widely common issue that I know they know to be true. I sure hate that because I truly thought honor had the best mobile tech software on the planet. EMUI is just that good and it's definitely nothing like the choppiness of stock Android. It's highly unique and totally 100 percent different. It's in it's own category to me and I've written a lot about this topic since owning the honor 8. Even my tablet is EMUI as I have the Med Pad 3 which is by far the best hidden secret tablet on the market with the exception that it's not offered in celluar. I use mine daily and I've owned several iPad pros and it to me is a better and more smooth tablet. To anyone who has not tried it, you simply are missing out on one of the top three tablets currently available on the market. Screen resolution is much higher then 1080p, it's ratio is 16.9 so although it's 8.4 inches it views as it it were a 9.7 inch tablet, the sound system on the tablet is amazing and the 64 gig comes with the best fitting earbuds I've ever used. It's my daily tablet so I'm not shunning it like I very well may have to do the phone. Time will tell with me as I may give honor another chance but it'll be down the road after I've enjoyed my Z Play for a long while as I love the mods. Plus I'm getting used to the 5.5 inch screen the Z Play has now. I've watched several movies and the JBL speaker mod is flat out awesome. Don't even get me started on the unbelievable battery life the Z Play has!! It's by far the best on the market. It's almost impossible to even try to drain this battery down. Then if I decide to use my Tumi battery mod with it I seriously can go 4 days without even thinking about a charger. So maybe it's a good thing after all. Time will tell but I'll keep you guys posted on how their warranty department handles my defect. My situation and it's outcome will give everyone if you the correct insight that you need to make an educated decision about Honor and if you stay with them or choose another brand. I clearly have a software issue that should be clearly taken care of no questions asked so once I let you know the outcome it'll tell you weather honor is worthy of staying loyal to or not.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Very well said and very well written. Yes indeed you are exactly correct. I've had my honor 8 I'd say since November of last year. I've been a frequent poster hear on this forum and I've even won a contest which I had no clue that I was even competing in for my posts/articles you could say that were in full support of this device. Yes, I'm very frustrated not only with what I've read but the entire deal that they honor expects me, one who has promoted their device and praised their product to go without a phone instead of just replacing my unit under warranty so I'd not have to go without nor would I had to go out and buy a new phone to enable me to send my honor out. Now I've spent $399 on the Moto Z Play which I do love and honor may now have very well lost my loyalty. My issue is clearly from what I researched a common software issue and isn't just specific to me which is why I feel they should have just sent me a replacement with a return label for my defected device. Most likely I will not buy the Honor 9 nor the Mate now. Honor or Huawei no doubt had all the tools to rival Samsung head to head with EMUI being their smoking gun but where they will fail I see now is where Samsung shines through which is after sales service and customer appreciation. This plays a major role for me if I'm to be retained as a returning or repeat customer. So in a way honor has lost my business. I do miss EMUI as it is butter smooth compared to stock Android but stock Android isn't horrible enough for me not to use it. I've still got to jump through hoops just to be issued a return number still yet. So I've not even begun the process but I will eventually. I'll keep everyone posted and I hope your honor does not get the software glitch mine and so many others have gotten that ironically are specifically the same defect. It's why Samsung has already proven their after sales commitment where honor hasn't hasn't recognized this to be a widely common issue that I know they know to be true. I sure hate that because I truly thought honor had the best mobile tech software on the planet. EMUI is just that good and it's definitely nothing like the choppiness of stock Android. It's highly unique and totally 100 percent different. It's in it's own category to me and I've written a lot about this topic since owning the honor 8. Even my tablet is EMUI as I have the Med Pad 3 which is by far the best hidden secret tablet on the market with the exception that it's not offered in celluar. I use mine daily and I've owned several iPad pros and it to me is a better and more smooth tablet. To anyone who has not tried it, you simply are missing out on one of the top three tablets currently available on the market. Screen resolution is much higher then 1080p, it's ratio is 16.9 so although it's 8.4 inches it views as it it were a 9.7 inch tablet, the sound system on the tablet is amazing and the 64 gig comes with the best fitting earbuds I've ever used. It's my daily tablet so I'm not shunning it like I very well may have to do the phone. Time will tell with me as I may give honor another chance but it'll be down the road after I've enjoyed my Z Play for a long while as I love the mods. Plus I'm getting used to the 5.5 inch screen the Z Play has now. I've watched several movies and the JBL speaker mod is flat out awesome. Don't even get me started on the unbelievable battery life the Z Play has!! It's by far the best on the market. It's almost impossible to even try to drain this battery down. Then if I decide to use my Tumi battery mod with it I seriously can go 4 days without even thinking about a charger. So maybe it's a good thing after all. Time will tell but I'll keep you guys posted on how their warranty department handles my defect. My situation and it's outcome will give everyone if you the correct insight that you need to make an educated decision about Honor and if you stay with them or choose another brand. I clearly have a software issue that should be clearly taken care of no questions asked so once I let you know the outcome it'll tell you weather honor is worthy of staying loyal to or not.

Thank you for your post! For sure, it's very frustrating. You would think they'd just give you a replacement ASAP, especially if it's a known issue and not just something random like you dropped it or it suffered water damage.

I definitely agree with you about Samsung's customer support. After the Note 7 incident, they truly showed up for their customer base and did their very best to keep everyone happy. It was definitely a lose-lose situation but Samsung did a really good job of trying to not only contain the situation but give their customers a break too. With such exceptional customer service elsewhere, sometimes it's easy for one to jump ship.

Ahhh the Moto Z Play sounds great! I definitely envy you for waiting four days to charge your phone with the help of a mod lool. It's truly a great phone that I think is underrated. At least you are happy with this phone despite the mess you are in with Huawei!

And yes, hopefully this issue doesn't affect my device. It's been in the back of my head that if this phone went down, I'd be up the creek without a paddle. My contract with Rogers is up in November, however, so worst case scenario I'd have to wait until then if I couldn't afford to buy unlocked again. But I have my eye on the HTC U11... So we'll see how that goes. :p

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your post! For sure, it's very frustrating. You would think they'd just give you a replacement ASAP, especially if it's a known issue and not just something random like you dropped it or it suffered water damage.

I definitely agree with you about Samsung's customer support. After the Note 7 incident, they truly showed up for their customer base and did their very best to keep everyone happy. It was definitely a lose-lose situation but Samsung did a really good job of trying to not only contain the situation but give their customers a break too. With such exceptional customer service elsewhere, sometimes it's easy for one to jump ship.

Ahhh the Moto Z Play sounds great! I definitely envy you for waiting four days to charge your phone with the help of a mod lool. It's truly a great phone that I think is underrated. At least you are happy with this phone despite the mess you are in with Huawei!

And yes, hopefully this issue doesn't affect my device. It's been in the back of my head that if this phone went down, I'd be up the creek without a paddle. My contract with Rogers is up in November, however, so worst case scenario I'd have to wait until then if I couldn't afford to buy unlocked again. But I have my eye on the HTC U11... So we'll see how that goes. :p

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Oh yeah that new HTC! I was on their site the other day reading about it. It appears to be a very good device and as many phones as I've tested and been through, HTC is one that I've never bought. I've heard that they make a good one and this one looks to be awesome. It's pricey though from what I recall. I think they had a special for $50 off which made it $599. I've got so used to devices on deals that ever since I swapped and bought the 6p at a pretty good sale price, that I've not paid more than $400 for any device since then. I really have never been a fan of Samsung simply because I cannot stand their software which to me it's sticky and choppy. However I handled the S8 not the plus but the regular and I fell for it immediately. The looks and feel of the device. I have to say that model might be one that I'd be tempted to buy unlocked and just deal with touch wiz as visually and feel wise that phone is killer! I'm in the process of changing careers and there is a possibility I might go to work with AT&T so if that comes to fruition, then that S8 maybe what I end up with. I couldn't put it down at best buy the other day. I loved it. It was the perfect size too. I'm not a huge fan of my daily phone being much over 5 inches. About 5.2 max I'm fine with and the Z Play being 5.5 has been tough getting used to as I like a one hander phone for daily use. I typically keep two phones up until recently and my second phone was always a larger screen phone. So this Z Play may very well turn into my second phone at some point especially if I'm able to get the S8 at a discount if I end up working with AT&T. I think that phone is going to do really well. It was so nice to handle. I also liked that the curved sides weren't as overly curved as what Samsung has been doing too. So I've got that one in the back of my mind but I just don't know if I can bring myself to pay that much for a device with so many like my Honor 8 or this Z play going for $400 and under though. Time will tell for sure as I tempted highly over that S8.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Tried to reach Huawei today and held forever! I finally got tired and hung up. Part of me is considering not even sending it in now and just be done with honor. So frustrated at the moment with them.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Tried to reach Huawei today and held forever! I finally got tired and hung up. Part of me is considering not even sending it in now and just be done with honor. So frustrated at the moment with them.

That sucks . Really hope that they pick up their game and honor warranty. The phone hasn't been out a year yet so everyone should still be under warranty.

Well technically it is only for the original owner hence why they need to see receipt , but most other smartphone manufacturers will honor warranty if the phone hasn't been out a year.

Btw, lg USA wouldn't warranty my international unlocked h815 g4 which bootlooped, a very common problem on them. Regardless of receipt. I don't fully blame them though since it wasn't a usa model... But then again they did include support for USA LTE.

Motorola customer support sucks pretty bad too based on my experience and others that i know too.

Good luck though. Maybe they will treat you better if you have any issues

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
That sucks . Really hope that they pick up their game and honor warranty. The phone hasn't been out a year yet so everyone should still be under warranty.

Well technically it is only for the original owner hence why they need to see receipt , but most other smartphone manufacturers will honor warranty if the phone hasn't been out a year.

Btw, lg USA wouldn't warranty my international unlocked h815 g4 which bootlooped, a very common problem on them. Regardless of receipt. I don't fully blame them though since it wasn't a usa model... But then again they did include support for USA LTE.

Motorola customer support sucks pretty bad too based on my experience and others that i know too.

I'm not holding my breath. Right now I'm wanting to give the ZTE Axon 7 Mini a shot. I've heard some good things about that device.

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not holding my breath. Right now I'm wanting to give the ZTE Axon 7 Mini a shot. I've heard some good things about that device.

This is a bummer to hear about their service. I just smashed my honor 8 (in a case and tempered glass front to back, so glad I spent $60 on that garbage!) on a bike ride.

Going to reach out to them to see how much it will cost to replace my glass. I'm at a point where I'm almost ready to ditch the phone, though. I was very happy with it at first- but they have not kept true to their security patch promises. Plus, once nougat came out, it's been unreliable in a number of departments.

I hate the thought of spending bigger money on a phone, but the pixel and GS8 are looking pretty good right now.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Yeah. After the phone being out for less than a year, they should definitely keep their warranty claims...

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I actually just sold my honor 8 and disclosed the screen I'm getting and he still bought it. So im sorry guys as I won't be able to report on warranty. Plus I got my honor 8 free through Amazon long story so what ever I sold it for I am in the positive.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I actually just sold my honor 8 and disclosed the screen I'm getting and he still bought it. So im sorry guys as I won't be able to report on warranty. Plus I got my honor 8 free through Amazon long story so what ever I sold it for I am in the positive.

So glad you sold it and that everything worked out for you!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21