The Update to EMUI 5.1 and/or Android O (8.0)

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Just talked with support - they have confirmed that an update containing EMUI 5.1 is in the works! They have also confirmed that an update to Android O is being worked on, but without a release date currently.

Hopefully, this customer service rep was well-informed on this.

I'm really excited!

-lumivalo

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would assume that they would have to at least update to o given that the phone came out about a year ago... Two year updates are pretty standard for the major phones from major manufacturers.

Still confirmation is good, and honor has been pretty decent on updating the honor 8 so far. Will hope for the best.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hmmm... While it is a much less expensive phone, Honor did stop with just one major update on the 5X. Either way, I'll probably go the custom ROM route once they cut off support.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... While it is a much less expensive phone, Honor did stop with just one major update on the 5X. Either way, I'll probably go the custom ROM route once they cut off support.

That's true but the 5x was abandoned long ago and not really heavily pushed by Honor. The honor 8 and 9 seem more heavily pushed. Hopefully that will mean better support for them.

This isn't really a dis on Honor... Samsung , LG,htc etc don't really support their low end stuff as well as flagships either, and the honor 8 i would consider to be honor's flagship.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
That's true but the 5x was abandoned long ago and not really heavily pushed by Honor. The honor 8 and 9 seem more heavily pushed. Hopefully that will mean better support for them.

This isn't really a dis on Honor... Samsung , LG,htc etc don't really support their low end stuff as well as flagships either, and the honor 8 i would consider to be honor's flagship.

That's true. I definitely expect them to support it past low-end devices.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Honor sees a market and is doing a great job filling the void for viable mid ranges phones. For as much as I hated the change from 4.1 to 5. I never had a single issue with my house or 8. it's just works and works well. which is probably why I will sell my s8+ and get the honor 9 when it comes out.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Honor sees a market and is doing a great job filling the void for viable mid ranges phones. For as much as I hated the change from 4.1 to 5. I never had a single issue with my house or 8. it's just works and works well. which is probably why I will sell my s8+ and get the honor 9 when it comes out.
Wow! I don't know if I'd go as far as to eschew an S8+ (I'm kind of a broke student) but that's impressive commitment to Honor! I applaud!

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I love my s8+, it's a great phone. Not a fan of AMOLED screens, or Samsung's inability to have timely updates. the fact that Android O beta is out and you won't see it hit a Samsung phone till next march. I guarantee honor 9 with have Android O before Samsung.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If you plan on selling your s8+ then i would suggest doing it soon before there is a lot of buzz around the note 8. Otherwise prices will probably plummet.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I love my s8+, it's a great phone. Not a fan of AMOLED screens, or Samsung's inability to have timely updates. the fact that Android O beta is out and you won't see it hit a Samsung phone till next march. I guarantee honor 9 with have Android O before Samsung.

I hope that you are right! Honor has been pretty good about updates on the Honor 8 and i hope that the trend will continue with the honor 9. Some other Honor phones though haven't fared as well, but given that this will be honor's flagship, i hope that Honor will do it justice and provide quick updates!

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Wait why don't you like AMOLED? I personally prefer it over any other screen technology.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Wait why don't you like AMOLED? I personally prefer it over any other screen technology.

I prefer the more natural look to LCD displays. Don't get me wrong this is a sweet display. But **** it's so good damn bright all the time even on the lowest setting. The only time it's even close to 50% brightness is when I'm out side. Otherwise I leave it around 25% brightness

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I hope that you are right! Honor has been pretty good about updates on the Honor 8 and i hope that the trend will continue with the honor 9. Some other Honor phones though haven't fared as well, but given that this will be honor's flagship, i hope that Honor will do it justice and provide quick updates!

I checked just to verify the honor 8 got nougat before the s7 and s7 edge last year.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I don't foresee them abandoning one of the biggest markets in world. Given that they are the 3rd largest phone manufacturer, they do have some wiggle room to work into different markets.

That being said unless you can get carriers on board and have them offer your phones through finance. The United States is hard to get a solid presence. The guy at apple was shocked when I told him my favorite manufacturer was Huawei/Honor. Do you know the release time period for the mate line?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't foresee them abandoning one of the biggest markets in world. Given that they are the 3rd largest phone manufacturer, they do have some wiggle room to work into different markets.

That being said unless you can get carriers on board and have them offer your phones through finance. The United States is hard to get a solid presence. The guy at apple was shocked when I told him my favorite manufacturer was Huawei/Honor. Do you know the release time period for the mate line?

I don't see them abandoning the USA but they might abandon specific phones like the honor 5x

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
That would all depend on the sales of the device. It would fiscally make more sense to update the device that sold the most. Secondly would the 5x run both Android O and emui properly at the same time with it's current specs.

I would think they would concentrate on security updates for as long as they can. It wouldn't make sense to devote time and money into a device that not many people own.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That would all depend on the sales of the device. It would fiscally make more sense to update the device that sold the most. Secondly would the 5x run both Android O and emui properly at the same time with it's current specs.

I would think they would concentrate on security updates for as long as they can. It wouldn't make sense to devote time and money into a device that not many people own.

I am sure you are right that they would support devices that sold the most... which is my worry with the honor 9. Not sure that it would really sell much in the USA, and I am concerned that it would be abandoned by Honor.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance