The Update to EMUI 5.1 and/or Android O (8.0)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This would be awesome! As Dpham said, most manufacturers will update their phones for at least two years; so let's hope that the Honor 8 does get this next software update. It'd be great to see yet another side to EMUI.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This would be awesome! As Dpham said, most manufacturers will update their phones for at least two years; so let's hope that the Honor 8 does get this next software update. It'd be great to see yet another side to EMUI.

It would certainly be interesting to see which direction they go, keeping with emui 5 and going closer to stock,or going back to emui4 which had a lot of customization

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I love my s8+, it's a great phone. Not a fan of AMOLED screens, or Samsung's inability to have timely updates. the fact that Android O beta is out and you won't see it hit a Samsung phone till next march. I guarantee honor 9 with have Android O before Samsung.
I really love AMOLED screen and I wish Huawei can have more AMOLED panels for their phone. What part do you not like about the AMOLED screen?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I really love AMOLED screen and I wish Huawei can have more AMOLED panels for their phone. What part do you not like about the AMOLED screen?

I would be interested to know the problem of amoled as well especially on the s8+ which is a top notch screen.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I prefer the more natural look of the LCD display over the AMOLED. Also the whole screen burning in which Samsung says doesn't happen and then it happens. it's already happening the S8 screens with the solid navigation bar. They have since released an update where the nav bar is transparent and you can hide it on every screen.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I prefer the more natural look of the LCD display over the AMOLED. Also the whole screen burning in which Samsung says doesn't happen and then it happens. it's already happening the S8 screens with the solid navigation bar. They have since released an update where the nav bar is transparent and you can hide it on every screen.
Hmm... That's a valid point. I especially use my phone as a desk clock when I'm studying, so I feel like burn-in might become an issue.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm getting slightly disappointed at the slow updates to the security patches. I would love to see a new update soon but am also hopeful they are working on the oreo update to be released alongside the Mate 10

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'll take Amoled screens purely so we can get Always ON Display. It can be done with Lcd panels as LG has shown but it's far better with amoled

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting slightly disappointed at the slow updates to the security patches. I would love to see a new update soon but am also hopeful they are working on the oreo update to be released alongside the Mate 10

I don't see Oreo released on the honor 8 by the mate 10 launch.... Seems highly unlikely.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't see Oreo released on the honor 8 by the mate 10 launch.... Seems highly unlikely.
I didn't mean that exactly, more that oreo would be ready for the mate and then not far off beta for honor 8 as was the case when the mate 9 was launched with nougat last year.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't mean that exactly, more that oreo would be ready for the mate and then not far off beta for honor 8 as was the case when the mate 9 was launched with nougat last year.

Ah, that is a possibility. I hope that they do do that.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not quite sure about it anymore. It seems to me that Huawei is sort of backing out of the US market.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not quite sure about it anymore. It seems to me that Huawei is sort of backing out of the US market.

Or it could be that they are trying to secure a deal with att and didn't want to release that same unlocked phone

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm. Good point. I guess we can't really know until the public announcement (or a really definitive leak)

I take all leaks regardless of source with a grain of salt. Sure we can speculate about what's leaked but really... The actual announcement will be what matters