Honor 8 - A Solid Buy?

the_hadlander

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everybody,

I recently bricked my iPhone 6s, and I've been looking at a few mid-range Android phones as a replacement, but the Honor 8 is the one I find the most intriguing (Moto G5 Plus is the other big frontrunner). My biggest concern is reliability and overall quality. I've read some great user reviews about the Honor 8, but I've also seen issues around forums about connectivity issues, outgoing call issues, etc. I just want to make sure that the Honor 8 is, both, a cool, solid device, and reliable (won't bug out after 5 weeks, etc). Granted, it seems like a lot of the negative issues I've read about are before EMUI 5.0 came out, but I'm still weary. Can anyone share their experiences about owning an an Honor 8 - good, bad, and ugly?

the_hadlander

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I should probably add that I'm not a fan of big phones (5.5 and above), and that I mostly use my phone for the basics (call and text), Watching YouTube, reading emails, and listening to music/podcasts. Reliable performance and battery life are my biggest concerns at the moment.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I actually had both honor 8 and moto g5 plus so i can give you some of my experience. Moto g5 plus has snapdragon 625 so battery is much more efficient than honor 8. Everything else goes to honor 8. Better camera, faster processor, better build quality. Honor 8 is really underrated smartphone IMO. I sold mine and i bought one again lol.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to upgrade my phone around December 2017 due to issues with my LG G3, and landed on the Honor 8. The experience has been wonderful! The size of 5.2" is perfect for my small hands, and the screen quality is great! I can still watch my Netflix at night before bed. The screen brightness is good, and as long as you snag a tempered glass screen protector and a case to protect the glass on the front and back of the phone, you're set!

With regards to quality, I've never before had a midrange phone before and this one performance flawlessly. Sure, it has the odd glitch or two, but in seven months I've never had to deal with battery issues, I've had minimal call dropping (and compared to my G3 in the same locations, my Honor 8 stays on call longer and had less drops; and this would be due to réception/roaming issues). I've really enjoyed my experience and I actually like EMUI 5.0!

For the price, you are getting a great deal. The dual cameras are wonderful! Photo quality is good, sound is pretty good too. I'd say a lot of these specs are on par with flagships and you aren't breaking the bank. One of my favourite features about this phone was that I had it paid off faster and I wasn't locked into a two year contract where I'd be paying out more money.

It is truly a great experience, and I'm a phone geek who craves new phones often! I want to upgrade next year, but I'm feeling like I'll have a lot of trouble doing so. I love my phone!

Good luck with your choice, and let us know what you decide!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Honor 8 is a really great bang for the buck. Really near flagship in every way except price.

No call issues here, but those could also be due to a weak signal or a problem with your carrier in the area.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Honor 8 is a really great bang for the buck. Really near flagship in every way except price.

No call issues here, but those could also be due to a weak signal or a problem with your carrier in the area.

Couldn't agree with you more. Flagship in every other regard except for pricing - and that's okay with me. :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't agree with you more. Flagship in every other regard except for pricing - and that's okay with me. :)

Also , even though they are number three internationally,in the states, it doesn't have a widely recognizable flagship name brand. Hopefully that will change soon though!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Also , even though they are number three internationally,in the states, it doesn't have a widely recognizable flagship name brand. Hopefully that will change soon though!

Hopefully it does! It's sad that so many of these awesome devices are not as well known or very underrated... Blah! Samsung and Apple are great but there are also a myriad of other cool and even better, in some respects and depending on your perception, devices out there.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I actually had both honor 8 and moto g5 plus so i can give you some of my experience. Moto g5 plus has snapdragon 625 so battery is much more efficient than honor 8. Everything else goes to honor 8. Better camera, faster processor, better build quality. Honor 8 is really underrated smartphone IMO. I sold mine and i bought one again lol.
I miss that honor 8 too!! Lol. You got a good deal on it for sure. I give really good deals lol

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi Everybody,

I recently bricked my iPhone 6s, and I've been looking at a few mid-range Android phones as a replacement, but the Honor 8 is the one I find the most intriguing (Moto G5 Plus is the other big frontrunner). My biggest concern is reliability and overall quality. I've read some great user reviews about the Honor 8, but I've also seen issues around forums about connectivity issues, outgoing call issues, etc. I just want to make sure that the Honor 8 is, both, a cool, solid device, and reliable (won't bug out after 5 weeks, etc). Granted, it seems like a lot of the negative issues I've read about are before EMUI 5.0 came out, but I'm still weary. Can anyone share their experiences about owning an an Honor 8 - good, bad, and ugly?
You can't go wrong with the Honor 8 at all. EMUI whether it's 4.1 or 5.0 is at the top of any user interface experience on the market. In fact if you had a iphone 6s or iPhone in general, you find that EMUI is very much butter smooth and fluid like IOS as it's a hybrid software that is nothing like stock pure Android. The only reason I would say possibly wait on the honor 8 is bc the honor 9 is now released but not yet in the US. That said the honor 8 is still your best choice by far out the phones you mentioned. If you liked IOS you will very much like EMUI and also there are no bugs with either 4.1 or 5.0. Sure you'll read the bad experiences bc no one posts about how awesome EMUI is but I'm posting that it can easily be branded as it's own type of mobile tech software. It's just that different. Nothing about it indicates that it's Android. It's great and very fluid. If you are unable to wait on the honor 9 then you will be hard pressed to find a better device for the money. Good luck and update everyone with what you decided. You won't regret the honor 8 at all. The camera is amazing and fast. The 950 chip is really zippy and quick. Screen resolution is 1080p which is good. It is 5.2 so if you're coming from a 4.7 6s then you may find it to be pretty big. The honor 9 is actually a tad smaller at 5.1 which doesn't sound like a lot but in the real world is very noticeable to the feel. You can easily watch movies on it and browse the web. Read articles. You may enjoy the screen real estate more than you expect to. I know I did coming from exclusive apple up until a little over a year ago now. I recently went back to the iPhone SE as I used to love it but when I got it back after a year with Android sure I loved IOS but I could not stand how small the screen was and I quickly got rid of it. Now I use the Samsung S8 regular size which has a lot of screen but yet still a one hander. The honor 8 is pretty much a one hander most of the time. You'll definitely like it. Just try and find one on a good sale since the Honor 9 is now rolling out. Once it hits the US is believe the market value of the honor 8 will decrease a lot yet it's still one of the best devices money can buy. Like I said you can't go wrong and you'll be happy about your purchase. I've owned the honor 8 twice now. It's a killer device.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully it does! It's sad that so many of these awesome devices are not as well known or very underrated... Blah! Samsung and Apple are great but there are also a myriad of other cool and even better, in some respects and depending on your perception, devices out there.

That's unfortunately true of everything. People tend to buy from brands that they are used to or at least that they recognize.

But to an extent,it makes sense. A lot of the Unknown brands tend to be really poor quality. Of course there are exceptions and Huawei is a glowing example.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That's unfortunately true of everything. People tend to buy from brands that they are used to or at least that they recognize.

But to an extent,it makes sense. A lot of the Unknown brands tend to be really poor quality. Of course there are exceptions and Huawei is a glowing example.

It's true, and a lot of people follow what their friends/others are doing and so those brands get even more recognition.

That's true! Sometimes the unknown ones can be a bit of a gamble.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's true, and a lot of people follow what their friends/others are doing and so those brands get even more recognition.

That's true! Sometimes the unknown ones can be a bit of a gamble.

Which is why I think that Huawei needs to invest real marketing dollars to get people familiar with their name in the USA. Word of mouth is doing to take a long time.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Oh you sold him your old honor 8? I didn't know that. Nice to pass it on to another forum member!
We originally traded each other and when I went to the iPhone SE I sold it back to him. By the way he is a great guy and a friend now. We text all the time about tech. I'm about to send him a ton of honor 8 cases that I no longer need. It's nice to meet great people on here. I've enjoyed chatting with him ever since we did our first deal together.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
We originally traded each other and when I went to the iPhone SE I sold it back to him. By the way he is a great guy and a friend now. We text all the time about tech. I'm about to send him a ton of honor 8 cases that I no longer need. It's nice to meet great people on here. I've enjoyed chatting with him ever since we did our first deal together.

That's great to hear that the forums have helped to facilitate an HONORable friendship!

Also, nice that you are see sending him the extra Honor 8 cases. Should have gotten my honor 8 from you! I am so jealous!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That's great to hear that the forums have helped to facilitate an HONORable friendship!

Also, nice that you are see sending him the extra Honor 8 cases. Should have gotten my honor 8 from you! I am so jealous!

Your pun game is stellar.

the_hadlander

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the intel everybody. @Dconn1975: At this point, I'm really caught between the Honor 8 and the iPhone SE. What's the battery life, and the audio quality (through headphones) like in comparison to the SE?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis