Huawei overtakes apple sales.

vtua

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
I think you're wrong. They have really strong phones, I think the suggestion is that they put more into the promotion of a smaller line.
I see too much promotion already coming from Huawei, as compared to those brands in the top-10. Maybe if there was 100% brand loyalty, then it would be possible to do such a simple math you are suggesting, i.e. 1-to-1 translation of sales of one phone into another. But it is never the case with any branded product.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
@dpham00: How else would you explain the fact that none of their phones are among the top-10?
It clearly means to me that, as compared to competition, Huawei phones do not offer the quality that deserves a top spot. Author's metaphor regarding "putting more muscle" means to me improvement of the quality, i.e. hardware, UI, appearance, and overall customer experience, to be able to differentiate themselves.
It could also mean they have so many models that selling a few of each adds up to a lot.

vtua

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
It could also mean they have so many models that selling a few of each adds up to a lot.
That's absolutely right. But now, if they want to sell the same or a larger quantity with a smaller number of products, simple addition is not anough to solve that equation.

vtua

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
I doubt that personally, most Americans want Galaxy or iPhone, no other phone brand sells well in the States.
I second that. It looks very unlikely for Huawei to surpass Samsung in market share by 2020. Even in the event Huawei would manage to realize such an ambitious goal, it would be simply unsustainable.

vtua

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
They've stated that their plans are to enter the US market when 5g is released and that's over a year away. This came directly from a Huawei article I read.
I heard that as well. Don't you think it looks strange that they hold their horses and miss the opportunity of making some money, until some fuzzy 5G development.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I heard that as well. Don't you think it looks strange that they hold their horses and miss the opportunity of making some money, until some fuzzy 5G development.
Yeah I do but I also see how huge they are in the markets they already are in so I think the US just isn't their priority right now currently. That will soon change I believe but probably a year out from that is my guess. I also predicted that we will see the honor 9 on black Friday or early December. Now I'm not so sure that we will even ever see it here. Just a gut feeling.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Just have to see how it unfolds. They will definitely shoot to the top once they sign up with all the major carriers.

They are a good brand, but even with carrier support they would need to advertise and price aggressively. I worked selling phones 2012 to 2016, most people wanted iPhone or Galaxy because their friends have it.

Even if they do capture the US market, the US isn't the largest market globally either.

I think they will do very well, they may actually cause Apple to become number one in the states because iOS has very high market share while they fight with Samsung for Android dominance taking away from Samsung's sales. I just don't see them outselling the Galaxy S and Note series. Maybe in 4 years, hard to predict the future, but I just don't think it will happen personally.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They are a good brand, but even with carrier support they would need to advertise and price aggressively. I worked selling phones 2012 to 2016, most people wanted iPhone or Galaxy because their friends have it.

Even if they do capture the US market, the US isn't the largest market globally either.

I think they will do very well, they may actually cause Apple to become number one in the states because iOS has very high market share while they fight with Samsung for Android dominance taking away from Samsung's sales. I just don't see them outselling the Galaxy S and Note series. Maybe in 4 years, hard to predict the future, but I just don't think it will happen personally.

That's the thing. One carrier in their homeland is more than 5x larger than the largest USA carrier. Or put it another way, just one carrier in their homeland is significantly larger than all the USA carriers COMBINED. So if their goal is world domination, then sure USA is important as it has people willing to buy high priced phones, but in terms of sheer market share, USA isn't that important to their portfolio.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They've stated that their plans are to enter the US market when 5g is released and that's over a year away. This came directly from a Huawei article I read.

Personally I think it is just an excuse until they can pen a carrier deal. But they don't want to outright Say it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's absolutely right. But now, if they want to sell the same or a larger quantity with a smaller number of products, simple addition is not anough to solve that equation.

Of course not. They can't just remove phones and expect all those people to move to other Huawei phones. They need to do smart consolidation.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I see too much promotion already coming from Huawei, as compared to those brands in the top-10. Maybe if there was 100% brand loyalty, then it would be possible to do such a simple math you are suggesting, i.e. 1-to-1 translation of sales of one phone into another. But it is never the case with any branded product.
I see far more apple, google and Samsung advertising than Huawei. Especially on TV.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I see far more apple, google and Samsung advertising than Huawei. Especially on TV.

Yeah in the USA, Huawei advertising is no where as strong as it needs to be for them to succeed. They are a relative unknown here. They need to push harder than Samsung and Apple, and give better promotions

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
As long as Huawei can keep dominating their homeland , they'll do just fine. Apple will fosure surpass them once their new phones are out. Theyll dominate the 2nd place for at least 2 quarters. Huawei will continue releasing new phones to keep their sale numbers high. it'll be a tag of war from both of them before one can take a good hold of the 2nd for a good while.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As long as Huawei can keep dominating their homeland , they'll do just fine. Apple will fosure surpass them once their new phones are out. Theyll dominate the 2nd place for at least 2 quarters. Huawei will continue releasing new phones to keep their sale numbers high. it'll be a tag of war from both of them before one can take a good hold of the 2nd for a good while.

I agree with you.