Waiting for September patch to use Bluetooth again

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Ever since the news about the bluborne vulnerability, I've kept my Bluetooth off and only briefly turned it on here and there. Very annoying considering it basically crippled my pebble watch. The September security patch should fix it. Only question is, when is the honor 8 going to receive it.

Anyone else ditching Bluetooth till the patch comes in or am I being too cautious?

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Maybe a bit over cautious. What about turning off Bluetooth when using the phone in public places. I know a PITA to do but doubt that you will get hacked at home or in your car or at work. I imagine most users of Bluetooth are for the car.

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Maybe a bit over cautious. What about turning off Bluetooth when using the phone in public places. I know a PITA to do but doubt that you will get hacked at home or in your car or at work. I imagine most users of Bluetooth are for the car.

Problem is I live in a city so everywhere I go is pretty public. Yeah I may be a bit too cautious but better safe than sorry I guess. Hopefully this patch comes soon so i don't have to worry about it for long.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Though I use Bluetooth sparingly as it is - and only to sync up my Fitbit, to see how I'm doing - I definitely scaled back even further when I heard about Bluetooth hacking. I think it's a smart idea until we're better protected.

About the security patch, however... Hopefully we get it soon.

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Though I use Bluetooth sparingly as it is - and only to sync up my Fitbit, to see how I'm doing - I definitely scaled back even further when I heard about Bluetooth hacking. I think it's a smart idea until we're better protected.

About the security patch, however... Hopefully we get it soon.

I wonder what will come first, the september security patch or emui 8 ;)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well we are on August patch now... Historically, we are seeing patches every 3-4 months... So it will probably be some time before it is patched.

Are you using wifi? If so there's a wifi bug too

Last edited:

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Well we are on August patch now... Historically, we are seeing patches every 3-4 months... So it will probably be some time before it is patched.

Are you using wifi? If so there's a wifi bug too

Ha! Oh no! Don't tell me that. What's the wifi bug? I guess the lesson is don't turn anything on.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Are you overly concerned that someone will hack your phone? Are you likely to be specifically targeted for some reason? If not, I think you're probably being overly cautious.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you overly concerned that someone will hack your phone? Are you likely to be specifically targeted for some reason? If not, I think you're probably being overly cautious.

It depends on how much risk you are willing to take is all. Each person must make that determination for themselves.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Nothing wrong getting the latest security updates even if you have nothing to hide. it's the thought that you know you're being protected

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ever since the news about the bluborne vulnerability, I've kept my Bluetooth off and only briefly turned it on here and there. Very annoying considering it basically crippled my pebble watch. The September security patch should fix it. Only question is, when is the honor 8 going to receive it.

Anyone else ditching Bluetooth till the patch comes in or am I being too cautious?
Good news is that I just got the October patch yesterday! You should check for updates in the settings to see if it's available for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke