I was reading where the honor 8 won't get Oreo?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: I was reading where the honor 8 won't get Oero?

We probably won't know until all the newer phones get their updates. But Honor/Huawei did promise (with much fanfare) last year that the Honor 8 will get 2 years of major software updates...and Android 8 is within this time frame. My guess is that if they have not come out and officially said that it will NOT get the update, then it probably will. It'll just be a very low priority for them.
Well they promised quarterly updates for two years on the honor 8 and honor 5x. Honor 8 came close enough so far to consider them keeping their word. Honor 5x,not so much.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I agree. I don't think we will see it any time soon but that we will sure get it now after I posted the question on XDA. My thread consist of everyone stating that it's a definite that we will in fact receive the major update. I can tell you guys from having recently owned the 6p that Oreo is very nice. It's better than nougat and appeared to be optimized much better. Settings were a different color and it grouped them up to show less settings but to open one up lead to more detailed setting features. It just cleaned up the settings. There were a couple of other things I noticed but I don't recall right this second. If I think of them I'll post it here. I had gotten a flat out steal on a brand new 6p but it's so big I just couldn't use it as my daily driver so I sold it and doubled my money on it. The 6p and the honor 8 are my two most favorite Android phones. I can tell you that pure stock Android is truly like butter. As Google states it's Android ad Google intended Android to run. Which is without any skin that bogs the UI down which in turn gives you that choppy and sticky lag you get with most Android phones. The only other phone that I've used in Android without any choppy lag is the honor 8. EMUI is just so different and totally unique and it's remotely nothing like pure stock Android like you get on the 6p and pixel devices. Pure android also gives you way less added features as it's truly vanilla in terms of interface. That's why I like EMUI so much. Huawei somehow optimized their skin not to big down the UI and to still run just as smooth if not smoother than pure stock Android plus with EMUI you get a ton of ways to customize your phone where you don't with pure stock Android. Some have even called pure android dull but it was ever so smooth. If I were not to use a honor 8 I'd probably go with the 5 inch pixel 2 as I do not like what these companies are doing now these days with the screen ratios. They are making them 18.9 which makes the phone way too narrow therefore the proportion is just off and weird. I know bc I had bought the Samsung S8 and I could not stand it. Plus it still lagged even with a 835 chip in it. I like the honor 8 ten times better than the S8 but these 18.9 screen ratios make zero sense to me. All they are doing is taking away screen real estate from both sides and making the phone taller and it's odd watching a movie in that ratio. The 16.9 typical ratio is the best and I just think it's a fad right now that will soon go away. It's just looks to be totally off and the screen is way too narrow.

Since you want one small phone, the honor 8, why didn't you keep the 6p as your larger phone for media consumption, since they are both your two most favorite phones?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

Since you want one small phone, the honor 8, why didn't you keep the 6p as your larger phone for media consumption, since they are both your two most favorite phones?
Well I had to sell the 6p to fund the honor 8 as my second device would not sold high enough to fund the honor 8. Believe me it hurt to sell that 6p especially for what I paid for it brand new which was only $150 dollars! Then I doubled my money and now have a 64g honor 8 arriving tomorrow now after getting the 32g first. I thought I'd be okay with the 32g but I really wanted the Pearl white since I've owned the blue and the black before and in a 64g. Today I was able to talk B&H into coming down to $199 on that pearl 64g so I did pretty good as far as price and what I paid for it. So it'll arrive tomorrow now and I'll have the exact color and size that I originally wanted in the first place but thought I couldn't afford it. My hats off to B&H for doing what they did for me. They didn't have to do that. It saved me $85 dollars overall. That's a pretty good discount.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Well I had to sell the 6p to fund the honor 8 as my second device would not sold high enough to fund the honor 8. Believe me it hurt to sell that 6p especially for what I paid for it brand new which was only $150 dollars! Then I doubled my money and now have a 64g honor 8 arriving tomorrow now after getting the 32g first. I thought I'd be okay with the 32g but I really wanted the Pearl white since I've owned the blue and the black before and in a 64g. Today I was able to talk B&H into coming down to $199 on that pearl 64g so I did pretty good as far as price and what I paid for it. So it'll arrive tomorrow now and I'll have the exact color and size that I originally wanted in the first place but thought I couldn't afford it. My hats off to B&H for doing what they did for me. They didn't have to do that. It saved me $85 dollars overall. That's a pretty good discount.
That's awesome that you were able to get the exact color and size that you want! Now you can stay with the Honor 8 for the long term.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

That's awesome that you were able to get the exact color and size that you want! Now you can stay with the Honor 8 for the long term.
Definitely as I plan to do that now. I've spent enough on other phones now and it's time to settle down with one long term now so that's why I really wanted the 64g. I knew I'd have it for a long while and now it I want to download my music I can freely without concern. I'll also have a 64g SD card in it so I'll be future proofed for a long time with this one now. Plus I've been wanting the Pearl color since I've had the black and blue before. This will be a pretty big change as I typically don't buy white phones but the honor is so good looking that I wanted the Pearl in it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Honestly the honor 8 looks great in any color. All good choices.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Cool, was just wondering because the name in the op was a little different

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site

Huawei promised 2 years support of Honor 8. According to that, it should get Oreo update.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Huawei promised 2 years support of Honor 8. According to that, it should get Oreo update.
In that same promise, they also said the same for the honor 5x. Which is currently on marshmallow.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

What honor says and what they do are two different things.

IMO what they promise often turns out to be BS.

EDIT:
Here's a link to an XDA thread post about which phones may receive Oreo:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74165068&postcount=100

Unfounded of course.
Tech support isn't the best source of info most of the time.
Oh tech support. Meh. Too. Much misinformation from them...and this isn't unique to Huawei. I see it all the time.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

Anyone know why I would not be on 5.1 yet? My other honor I sent back was on 5.1 but my 64g new one is stuck on 5.0. Has not all honor devices gotten 5.0 yet?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Anyone know why I would not be on 5.1 yet? My other honor I sent back was on 5.1 but my 64g new one is stuck on 5.0. Has not all honor devices gotten 5.0 yet?
Honor 5x is not on emui 5.x

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

I'm not even on 5.1 with this new 64g now. I'm still on 5.0. My 32g I had was on 5.1 but not this one. I have no clue as to why I don't have the update waiting on me. Does anyone know why or know of a manual way I can install and push the 5.1 update? Any help is much appreciated.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site

I'm not even on 5.1 with this new 64g now. I'm still on 5.0. My 32g I had was on 5.1 but not this one. I have no clue as to why I don't have the update waiting on me. Does anyone know why or know of a manual way I can install and push the 5.1 update? Any help is much appreciated.

Try a firmware to update it if they have it available.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

Try a firmware to update it if they have it available.
Where would I find that at? On the honor site or somewhere like XDA? I want to be sure I download the official correct one. If you have a link do you mind posting it for me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz