What phone to get after being hooked on Honor 8

Greg Desanto

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm in love with this phone but other companies get a new one every year, we can't. What to do? Love the price, the performance... Everything. I'm spoiled I'll never find a phone this good for a $300 price.. Never.

br77494

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
You might not find one! Darn good device. But be patient and something will turn up. I just bought one for my son. He loves it - and really appreciates it's specs. Its battery life is great! It should last him quite a while.

I got the Mate 9 for myself in January. Paid full price of $599, which I thought was a great deal since it was as good as any flagship out there - but hundreds of dollars less. Now the Mate 9 is $399 and still just as good. So I just bought one for my wife!

So, your Honor 8 should do you very well for a while. I'd be on the lookout for a great deal on Mate 10, or a Honor 9 in 6 to 12 months.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
You might not find one! Darn good device. But be patient and something will turn up. I just bought one for my son. He loves it - and really appreciates it's specs. Its battery life is great! It should last him quite a while.

I got the Mate 9 for myself in January. Paid full price of $599, which I thought was a great deal since it was as good as any flagship out there - but hundreds of dollars less. Now the Mate 9 is $399 and still just as good. So I just bought one for my wife!

So, your Honor 8 should do you very well for a while. I'd be on the lookout for a great deal on Mate 10, or a Honor 9 in 6 to 12 months.
Do you really think the US will actually see the honor 9 here? I at first thought that we would but now since that device is pushing 6 months old I have strong doubts that we will ever get it. What do you think honor will release in terms of a flagship honor device to take the place of the honor 8? I'm beginning to think that the US will not see another honor flagship here until they officially enter in to the US which is at the very least two years away. By then if I have to wait that long for another good honor device they will have lost my business and I'm one of Huawei Honors biggest fans I know that. They make incredible superior devices at great prices. They are in fact definitely superior to Samsung except for the screen resolution area but their software is tens times smoother than that of Samsung. They make in-house processors which are very powerful and optimized extremely well. Their camera on the honor 8 easily competes with Samsung being that they are noted to have probably the best on the market. I'm just very unsure we will actually see anything else flagship wise from the honor side to take the honor 8s place now. I also have started to doubt that they will stay true to their initial promise of two years worth of solid updates which they means we may not see Oreo or if we do that's a long way off as it will be at the very end of the two year span.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm in love with this phone but other companies get a new one every year, we can't. What to do? Love the price, the performance... Everything. I'm spoiled I'll never find a phone this good for a $300 price.. Never.
I totally understand how you feel and what you are saying. I just made a post about the honor 8 being a true flagship or not and I'm keeping an eye on it to see what the majority consensus is to my question about that as it relates to your statement about actually finding another phone with specs like the honor 8 has for under $300. It simply does not exist. I know I just bought my third honor 8 now have owned black, blue and now Pearl but this time in a 64g which I bought mine as a open box from B&H and I talked them down to where I only had to pay $199 for a new 64g honor 8. That is insane. A flagship level phone for $199. I just don't think you're going to ever find anything remotely as good as the honor 8 in relation to how good the price is. Mentally I debate myself all the time whether or not this phone is a flagship although the specs say it is but the price clearly says it's not. I know you're going to have an impossible time replacing the honor 8 spec wise to stay in the same price range because I've been searching since I bought my first honor 8 way back and still to this day being on my third honor 8 have yet to find anything that comes close to what you get from this phone at the price point you can get it for.

br77494

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm certain something will show up next year that will be a great replacement for the Honor 8. Might be a Huawei device this time...at least until we know what Honor is going to do next for the USA. It might be the devices that Honor will be releasing next month. Give the new device up to a year and it should be marked down to a very competitive price.

Getting the Honor 8 less than $300 is a steal of a deal. Consider yourself extremely lucky to get such a spec'd out phone at that price.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm certain something will show up next year that will be a great replacement for the Honor 8. Might be a Huawei device this time...at least until we know what Honor is going to do next for the USA. It might be the devices that Honor will be releasing next month. Give the new device up to a year and it should be marked down to a very competitive price.

Getting the Honor 8 less than $300 is a steal of a deal. Consider yourself extremely lucky to get such a spec'd out phone at that price.
What to have gotten the honor 8 for $199 in a 64g. I guess you are right. I had to dig deep with my talking and sales skill to get them to sell me the 64g for $199 and also get them to throw in free overnight shipping which was $30 dollars alone right there. I'm quite thankful though and I appreciate this honor more so than I did my previous two which is why I decided to settle down to one device as my long term phone and I chose the honor 8. Now I just hope they keep their two year update promise and they will continue to give the strong base of US customers a couple more honor and Huawei options here. All we have out of all of their many great superior devices to choose from is three. Honor 8, Mate 9 and Honor 6x. For example I have always wanted the P10 Huawei. Nope never was even an option here. I hope we do see at least one honor device flagship level and one Huawei device which basically all of the Huawei are upper end flagship anyway according to Huawei and by just seeing their price difference between the two divisions of the company.

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Never! It's specs are ridiculous. The price should have been WAY more for a phone with such specs.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What to have gotten the honor 8 for $199 in a 64g. I guess you are right. I had to dig deep with my talking and sales skill to get them to sell me the 64g for $199 and also get them to throw in free overnight shipping which was $30 dollars alone right there. I'm quite thankful though and I appreciate this honor more so than I did my previous two which is why I decided to settle down to one device as my long term phone and I chose the honor 8. Now I just hope they keep their two year update promise and they will continue to give the strong base of US customers a couple more honor and Huawei options here. All we have out of all of their many great superior devices to choose from is three. Honor 8, Mate 9 and Honor 6x. For example I have always wanted the P10 Huawei. Nope never was even an option here. I hope we do see at least one honor device flagship level and one Huawei device which basically all of the Huawei are upper end flagship anyway according to Huawei and by just seeing their price difference between the two divisions of the company.
You definitely got very lucky there!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The honor 8 64gb was $224 new last black Friday. Hopefully it will be less this year

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The essential phone has been dropping $100 every week or two... If it continues on its current course then it would be $300 soon!

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
It'll be tough to find a competitive device against the Honor 8 for less than $300. There are good budget phones for that price point. but Honor 8 is a little beyond that.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That is a very difficult question to answer! I too am hooked on mine. It will be difficult to find a phone that's this good in that price bracket. If Axon does come out with a successor to the 7, then perhaps that is something to consider. There's also the Huawei P10 Lite and the Honor 9; but I believe those are in higher price brackets.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
That is a very difficult question to answer! I too am hooked on mine. It will be difficult to find a phone that's this good in that price bracket. If Axon does come out with a successor to the 7, then perhaps that is something to consider. There's also the Huawei P10 Lite and the Honor 9; but I believe those are in higher price brackets.
Yes they're currently pretty pricier. I would definitely recommend the Honor 9 if it's cheaper to compete against the Honor 8

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Those are also current generation phones so it's not really a fair comparison.