How many of you think the Honor 8 is a flagship spec phone?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
So I think about this at times and I wonder if the honor 8 is truly flagship level. I've read and heard that the Kirin 950 chip has been compared to the Snapdragon 820 processor. Then the camera is definitely flagship level as I know once I got rid of my last honor 8 I realized how spoiled I had become by the honor 8s camera compared to all the other phones I had been trying out. Do you guys think the Honor 8 can be held to that of a flagship device. It's a mental thing with me I think bc of the price of the honor 8 these days. I wonder how is it possible to get really buy a flagship phone for under $300 but then if you truly look at the specs and performance of the honor 8 it indeed does and can be compared to some flagship phones out there. So what are your thoughts. Is it missing something that would truly define it as a flagship level phone or do you think the specs speak for themselves and consider this device to be every bit of a flagship? I'm just curious of everyone's thoughts on the topic as I debate myself over at times whether it is or it's not. It's definitely more than a basic mid range level device so what do you guys think. Respond in detail as to why you think it is or you think it's not. Try not to allow the price to mentally push you one way or the other. Just purely the device.

br77494

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
In my mind it is. It has all the extras that puts it there - a fast processor, high speed CAT 6 LTE modem, dual band wifi, NFC, IR blaster, compass, and a great dual camera setup. Plus it has flagship looks and finish. Definitely not a mid-ranger in any respect except for price.

br77494

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I seriously doubt that Huawei makes any money on the Honor 8 at less than around $350. It costs way more than that to include all those features it has. No other phone out there has similar specs at anything less than $400 to $450, or more.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
You guys make great points. Do you think that maybe why we won't see another honor flagship type phone here in the US until they officially enter the our market?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
In my mind it is. It has all the extras that puts it there - a fast processor, high speed CAT 6 LTE modem, dual band wifi, NFC, IR blaster, compass, and a great dual camera setup. Plus it has flagship looks and finish. Definitely not a mid-ranger in any respect except for price.
Those are some impressive specs so my question is how on Earth can they sell this phone so cheaply but yet still be a true flagship. I know I bought an open box but my 64g honor 8 was still brand new and all I paid was $199. Did I get a steal or is that in line for an open box on this phone. Do you think it's worth more than it's initial retail of $399? I just don't understand how they can produce a flagship device at the insane low price they have it at. So then are we all grossly over paying for the typical flagships then? How can honor give us a flagship level device for under $300 dollars? I just don't see how that can be done. What is this phone missing that other flagship phones have that are $650 to $750 dollars?

br77494

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
My guess is that this phone is part of Huawei's strategy to help it gain larger access to US markets. It originally isted for $450 in August 2016 if I recall correctly. Huawei was willing to accept a slim margin (or at a loss) on this phone in the name of marketing. It was released right after the One+3, which was priced at $399. Very, very similar device in many respects in performance and specs. But the Honor 8 is better - a dual camera and expandable storage to name a few things.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
My guess is that this phone is part of Huawei's strategy to help it gain larger access to US markets. It originally isted for $450 in August 2016 if I recall correctly. Huawei was willing to accept a slim margin (or at a loss) on this phone in the name of marketing. It was released right after the One+3, which was priced at $399. Very, very similar device in many respects in performance and specs. But the Honor 8 is better - a dual camera and expandable storage to name a few things.
I agree as the honor 8 has a lot features offered with EMUI where the one plus is very vanilla Android meaning way less features. I see the speaker being the only weakness of the honor 8 as if it has dual front facing stereo speakers this phone would be near perfection. I got spoiled fast with my Axon 7 in terms of unbelievable audio sound from a smart phone. The Nexus 6p was not far behind the Axon 7 either but the speaker on the honor is average at best but everything else is truly flagship level. I've seen many times before where the Kirin 950 has been compared to the Snapdragon 820 which even today is still a flagship processor that is very fast. The only other phone that comes close to competing pretty good with the honor 8 is indeed the Axon 7. But then you have to keep in mind screen size as not everyone wants a 5.5 inch phone to be their daily driver and vice versa. Some think the 5.2 inch honor 8 is too small and should have been 5.5. I'm torn on that one myself because although I like a smaller phone to be my daily driver I also enjoy a larger phone for media and the honor 8 is a great media device minus it's smaller display and weak speaker.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Also I wanted to point out the fingerprint sensor. How many of you have ever encountered a faster fingerprint sensor? I know personally I've gone through so many phones over the past year and a half that I'm embarrassed but out of all those phones not one came close to the accuracy and speed of the honor 8s fingerprint sensor. It's simply unbelievable. It's a pleasure to use and to top it off it can programmed to function in three different manners. My one press activates my flashlight. My double press takes a screen shot. My long press opened up AC forums. Then you even have the option to pull down your notifications. Tell me how the fingerprint sensor alone is not one of the best if not the best out there over any flagship device. It utterly destroys the Samsung S8 fingerprint sensor. I'll even say this. Other than screen resolution of the S8 I could not see any performance difference between the S8 and Honor 8. The honor 8 was 5 times more smooth and fluid then the $750 dollar S8. The only thing the S8 was better than the Honor 8 in was the amazing screen resolution that Samsung flagships are known for but saying that the honor 8 even though it's not an amoled screen has a very good vibrant and punchy colors for just a 1080p HD screen. Meaning you can't even tell the honor 8 does not have an AMOLED display. It's just hard to prove this phone is not a full flagship bc every flagship has at least one or two weaknesses. Mentally though I have a hard time considering the honor 8 to be a full all out flagship when I think of it's price but you take the price out of the equation and look at it from a spec stand point and right now I'm comparing it to the S8 which we all know is a full blown flagship and I owned it for a little while but I saw really no difference between the two at all. We are either very spoiled by how budget the honor 8 is or we grossly over pay for all high end flagships.

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
It seriously is. I was gonna sell mine but decided not too for this very reason. It's just an awesome phone. Probably the sleeper phone of 2016. Love this little thing.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
It seriously is. I was gonna sell mine but decided not too for this very reason. It's just an awesome phone. Probably the sleeper phone of 2016. Love this little thing.
Yeah there is nothing on the market quite as unique about it and certainly not any other flagship level phones that can be gotten for under $300 dollars. Heck I got a 64g and I only paid $199 for mine but I know I got a steal. I had to do some heavy talking to get them down that low so my price is not typical at all. You can however pick up a 32g for under $300 which still no other flagship remotely compares to it out there in terms of price. That's what actually makes me struggle with calling it a flagship or not is the price and I know it shouldn't bc the specs speak for themselves. The only weakness it has if you can even call it that bc most flagships have it too is the bottom firing Momo speaker at the bottom which is avaerage. So it appears to be a flagship on paper at least but at an extremely budget price.

editguy

Trusted Member
May 23, 2017
Visit site
Performance wise, I would say yes. Spec wise, no. But, except for those people who think specs mean everything, performance is the most important factor. And this phone performs. And it's a real bargain. Right now you can get the 64gb model for $299.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So I think about this at times and I wonder if the honor 8 is truly flagship level. I've read and heard that the Kirin 950 chip has been compared to the Snapdragon 820 processor. Then the camera is definitely flagship level as I know once I got rid of my last honor 8 I realized how spoiled I had become by the honor 8s camera compared to all the other phones I had been trying out. Do you guys think the Honor 8 can be held to that of a flagship device. It's a mental thing with me I think bc of the price of the honor 8 these days. I wonder how is it possible to get really buy a flagship phone for under $300 but then if you truly look at the specs and performance of the honor 8 it indeed does and can be compared to some flagship phones out there. So what are your thoughts. Is it missing something that would truly define it as a flagship level phone or do you think the specs speak for themselves and consider this device to be every bit of a flagship? I'm just curious of everyone's thoughts on the topic as I debate myself over at times whether it is or it's not. It's definitely more than a basic mid range level device so what do you guys think. Respond in detail as to why you think it is or you think it's not. Try not to allow the price to mentally push you one way or the other. Just purely the device.

Performance wise it's pretty close. Camera wise, I think it's generation behind when it was released,in low light. In normal lighting, it performed well.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Bokeh wasn't as good as my iPhone 7 Plus, imo. Not saying it was bad, just not as good

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Also I wanted to point out the fingerprint sensor. How many of you have ever encountered a faster fingerprint sensor? I know personally I've gone through so many phones over the past year and a half that I'm embarrassed but out of all those phones not one came close to the accuracy and speed of the honor 8s fingerprint sensor. It's simply unbelievable. It's a pleasure to use and to top it off it can programmed to function in three different manners. My one press activates my flashlight. My double press takes a screen shot. My long press opened up AC forums. Then you even have the option to pull down your notifications. Tell me how the fingerprint sensor alone is not one of the best if not the best out there over any flagship device. It utterly destroys the Samsung S8 fingerprint sensor. I'll even say this. Other than screen resolution of the S8 I could not see any performance difference between the S8 and Honor 8. The honor 8 was 5 times more smooth and fluid then the $750 dollar S8. The only thing the S8 was better than the Honor 8 in was the amazing screen resolution that Samsung flagships are known for but saying that the honor 8 even though it's not an amoled screen has a very good vibrant and punchy colors for just a 1080p HD screen. Meaning you can't even tell the honor 8 does not have an AMOLED display. It's just hard to prove this phone is not a full flagship bc every flagship has at least one or two weaknesses. Mentally though I have a hard time considering the honor 8 to be a full all out flagship when I think of it's price but you take the price out of the equation and look at it from a spec stand point and right now I'm comparing it to the S8 which we all know is a full blown flagship and I owned it for a little while but I saw really no difference between the two at all. We are either very spoiled by how budget the honor 8 is or we grossly over pay for all high end flagships.
Fps is quite awesome. Works more consistently than my note 8.

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Performance wise it's pretty close. Camera wise, I think it's generation behind when it was released,in low light. In normal lighting, it performed well.
I'm no camera pro but it shoots really well in low light in my experience. Night clubs, bars, outside, it's great.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to categorize the Honor 8 as a midrange phone. In my opinion, it's midrange as far as price is concerned. In many other respects, it has flagship-level calibre. It has specs that are on par or close to being on par with its contemporary flagship devices. Sure, some flagships of last year have specs that rival the Honor 8; but you can't beat these specs for around $400 in a hardware body like the Honor 8's.

I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times... I am having a *very* hard time putting down my Honor 8 and looking for/choosing a suitable upgrade.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
It's hard to categorize the Honor 8 as a midrange phone. In my opinion, it's midrange as far as price is concerned. In many other respects, it has flagship-level calibre. It has specs that are on par or close to being on par with its contemporary flagship devices. Sure, some flagships of last year have specs that rival the Honor 8; but you can't beat these specs for around $400 in a hardware body like the Honor 8's.

I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times... I am having a *very* hard time putting down my Honor 8 and looking for/choosing a suitable upgrade.
Well said. Very good.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm no camera pro but it shoots really well in low light in my experience. Night clubs, bars, outside, it's great.
I agree. The camera on the honor 8 basically spoiled me after I let my last one go and bought several other different phones. Their cameras were nowhere near as crisp and fast as the honor 8s camera. It might not be the best out there to be had but it competes with the best I think which that alone makes it a very good camera. I don't think I've ever taken a blurry shot with my honor 8 before. Not that I recall. It's a top notch camera for sure.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Performance wise, I would say yes. Spec wise, no. But, except for those people who think specs mean everything, performance is the most important factor. And this phone performs. And it's a real bargain. Right now you can get the 64gb model for $299.
Yes, performance wise it's a good performer. But is lacking in specs compared to the newer phones out there. But can handle itself in everyday task

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Haven't used my Honor 8 in low light in a while. I'll go test it out and see for myself. Beside low light. It takes fantastic pictures

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy