How many of you think the Honor 8 is a flagship spec phone?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I actually owned 3 Honor 8s, the blue, black and white. While the hardware does look and feel flagship quality, the same cannot be said about the software. The camera is not on par with Samsung's flagships (S6, S7 or the S8) nor is the image processing. Honor doesn't update its US variants frequently (which is important). In fact it's doubtful that it'll receive the Oreo update, whereas the 6X is guaranteed to get it this year. It could've competed as a flagship in 2016 but definitely not in 2017.

What was your favourite colour out of the three Honor 8's you've had?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Bright colors get tiresome after a while.
Not to me. I love bright red all the time. I order a red skin for all my phones and get red cases. I never grow tired of it as long as it's the shade of red I like. Deeper or darker reds I don't care for but the bright reds that pop are all me. Definitely my favorite color. If I get the iPhone 8 I'll order a red skin immediately along with a red leather Apple case. I've always done that.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Emui 5 is a nice upgrade and on par with what other competition has to offer, imo. much more feature rich than others. The camera is actually really good. Lacking in low light but every other scenario it's takes amazing pictures. Not on par with S8 or S7 but I'm sure its better than the S6. ill check some comparison later between the two
The S6 camera had OIS and better image processing algorithms, especially in low light scenarios..so better pictures and video. While I never owned the S6 series but I did have a few friends who owned one and I briefly used them a couple of times. In comparison to the Honor 8, the S6 shot brighter pictures with more details (the S7 Edge Exynos was my daily driver). I don't use Samsung's software bokeh effects so never compared Honor's implementation.
Also how come you owned 3 different honor 8?
I purchased the first Blue variant from Swappa for a deal and used it for a month before flipping it because I switched to the S7 Edge. After a month or so I got a good deal for the Black variant on Amazon warehouse deal so bought it and used as a backup before flipping it again (S7 Edge was still my daily driver). Then the last White variant was sort of a deal I couldn't pass on...it was a great deal for the 64GB variant on Newegg. This time I used it for a month or so before I bought the S8+ so had to sell the Honor and the S7E. FYI, I don't keep my phones for more than 6 months (S7E, Lumia 1520 and the S8+ are exceptions) and I usually keep a second phone as a backup (currently its a Moto Z Play).
What was your favourite colour out of the three Honor 8's you've had?
The Blue one was my favorite, especially with Imak's matching blue Cowboy Sandstone case.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The S6 camera had OIS and better image processing algorithms, especially in low light scenarios..so better pictures and video. While I never owned the S6 series but I did have a few friends who owned one and I briefly used them a couple of times. In comparison to the Honor 8, the S6 shot brighter pictures with more details (the S7 Edge Exynos was my daily driver). I don't use Samsung's software bokeh effects so never compared Honor's implementation.

I purchased the first Blue variant from Swappa for a deal and used it for a month before flipping it because I switched to the S7 Edge. After a month or so I got a good deal for the Black variant on Amazon warehouse deal so bought it and used as a backup before flipping it again (S7 Edge was still my daily driver). Then the last White variant was sort of a deal I couldn't pass on...it was a great deal for the 64GB variant on Newegg. This time I used it for a month or so before I bought the S8+ so had to sell the Honor and the S7E. FYI, I don't keep my phones for more than 6 months (S7E, Lumia 1520 and the S8+ are exceptions) and I usually keep a second phone as a backup (currently its a Moto Z Play).

The Blue one was my favorite, especially with Imak's matching blue Cowboy Sandstone case.

I got my white Honor 8 from Newegg, too!

Also, while I do think the Honor 8 takes great photos, I do agree with you that the Samsung S6 series takes better photos. My mom has the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge; and that camera outperforms mine. However, it's a Samsung device and I feel like their cameras are superior to many other smartphone manufacturers in the first place. Not making excuses for Honor - just stating that it's hard to beat Samsung in that department. :)

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site

Yup I'm aware of the S6. I cant find any Honor 8 vs S6 camera comparison but here is a link to the Honor 8 vs S7 camera. No low light pictures tho but here you can see they are very identical. Could hardly tell them apart. My Honor 8 is already competitive to my LG G6.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...hoto-comparison-iphone-7-in-pipeline.2003379/

Last edited:

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
I got my white Honor 8 from Newegg, too!

Also, while I do think the Honor 8 takes great photos, I do agree with you that the Samsung S6 series takes better photos. My mom has the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge; and that camera outperforms mine. However, it's a Samsung device and I feel like their cameras are superior to many other smartphone manufacturers in the first place. Not making excuses for Honor - just stating that it's hard to beat Samsung in that department. :)
Oh that's interesting. Samsung has lost the camera department a lot to previous LG phones tho. Samsung do outshine them in low light.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh that's interesting. Samsung has lost the camera department a lot to previous LG phones tho. Samsung do outshine them in low light.

My mom's phone takes great photos! I could be biased though. My G3 didn't take amazing photos but that was, of course, three iterations ago. The G6 takes amazing shots, IMO!

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

Wow you sound like me going through phones every other month. I know I've owned the honor 8 three times all three colors and now just got the opportunity to either get the iPhone 8 or Note 8 which if I do I'll probably return my new Honor then. I've owned every Moto Z phone with the Moto mods too. I enjoyed those. I've owned both S7s hated the laggy touchwiz got rid of them then I had the S8 and didn't like the 18.9 ratio as I think it makes zero sense to only take away from the width and just add it to the length. It makes for horrible movie watching and viewing. The Nexus 6p I owned twice which was a great device but I found it too large for a daily phone. I used to use Apple only for many years. I think I'm probably just going to go back to them now if I'm able to get this iPhone 8 or if it works out. But I've gone through a lot of different phones too.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow you sound like me going through phones every other month. I know I've owned the honor 8 three times all three colors and now just got the opportunity to either get the iPhone 8 or Note 8 which if I do I'll probably return my new Honor then. I've owned every Moto Z phone with the Moto mods too. I enjoyed those. I've owned both S7s hated the laggy touchwiz got rid of them then I had the S8 and didn't like the 18.9 ratio as I think it makes zero sense to only take away from the width and just add it to the length. It makes for horrible movie watching and viewing. The Nexus 6p I owned twice which was a great device but I found it too large for a daily phone. I used to use Apple only for many years. I think I'm probably just going to go back to them now if I'm able to get this iPhone 8 or if it works out. But I've gone through a lot of different phones too.

I would say iPhone 8 to avoid the 18.9 that you don't like

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
The 2:1 ratio isn't everyone's favorite so sticking with iPhone will be best for you