Leaving the Honor 8 fam

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I've tried a few phones with finger print scanners and I'd say Huawei probably has the fastest fps out there

For me thinking about using a different phone that doesn't provide not only the quickness if the fps but I don't want to lose all the functionality it has that others don't.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
For me thinking about using a different phone that doesn't provide not only the quickness if the fps but I don't want to lose all the functionality it has that others don't.

Good point. I love how functional the button is - it can do way more than just unlock your phone (which is awesome in itself).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be too quick to judge on that. Huawei committed to supplying a stable Oreo release for Mate 9 very early on last spring. They have apparently been working closely with the Android Oreo team to ensure that it would supply montly updates with the support of Project Treble. So, I think once Oreo hits the Mate 9 is when we'll see things pick up. And all Huawei/Honor phones that ship with Oreo will be Treble complaint are planned to get the monthly updates. But, I don't think the Honor 8 was designed to be compatible with Project Treble.
I really hope that you are right! Monthly security updates would be really awesome!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am disappointed with the lack security updates but other than that, I love the screen size and display quality; the battery life I got 8.5 hours of SOT the other day. The pictures that come out of the camera are great especially the monochrome shots, but Honor is so close in terms of image quality. I feel speed wise, there's no difference from the Honor 8. I'm counting on Mate 9's "machine learning" to keep this phone fast overtime but then again, my Honor 8 is still snappy after a year. I even feel that the Fingerprint sensor is a tad slower that Honor's. There's this weird bug when watching YouTube videos where there's only audio so I have to close and open the video again, but this is only on some videos, not all. The only reason I bought the Mate 9 was the screen, battery, camera quality and it was on sale! But in retrospect, If the Honor 8 had a larger screen I would have kept it.
I am glad that you are enjoying the mate 9, sans the security updates, unfortunately

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad you are liking your Mate 9. I'm sure those little bugs will either go away or get overshadowed by the things you like about your device. What colour Mate 9 did you get? They are pretty impressive devices.
Let's hope br is right and the mate 9 will see monthly security updates starting with oreo update

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Glad you are enjoying your Mate 9! 8.5 hours of SOT is fantastic!

I found the fingerprint sensor very fast - it seemed to get faster over time too. Maybe it's some of that machine learning stuff?

We are supposed to see an Oreo and EMUI OTA update here real soon. With Oreo Huawei has promised monthly updates and security patches enabled by Project Treble. I'm very encouraged. And I'm looking forward to Oreo and EMUI 8.0.

I initially had some issues with MMS on my Mate 9, but I switched over to Textra and all was solved. Since then I believe Huawei pushed an update out (April or May) that supposedly fixed the issue, but I'm happy with Textra and never looked back.
That definitely sounds very enticing! I hope that Huawei's implementation works as well as advertised!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately even the mate 9 fps is lacking some functionality which the honor 8 has

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Good point. I love how functional the button is - it can do way more than just unlock your phone (which is awesome in itself).
Most phones have different functions for the fps, but I think that honor provides the most customizations

Greg Desanto

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Yes I have took a chance on a Moto g5 plus 64gb for $239. I am impressed. I don't think I would ever come down on the Honor 8 high but I'm glad I did. Motorola always made good phones and this one is GOOD!

Vanessa Lynd

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Most phones have different functions for the fps, but I think that honor provides the most customizations

Honor 8 is definitely faster. I tried them side by side and Honor 8 wins all the time. Maybe it's my Mate 9 but 3 times out of 5 it annoys me by vibrating like my finger didn't register and opening a second that feels like an eternity later. I never had to erase my print and re-register again on my Honor 8.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Honor 8 is definitely faster. I tried them side by side and Honor 8 wins all the time. Maybe it's my Mate 9 but 3 times out of 5 it annoys me by vibrating like my finger didn't register and opening a second that feels like an eternity later. I never had to erase my print and re-register again on my Honor 8.

Hopefully things get better with your Mate 9 - sorry if you've mentioned this earlier, but does re-registering your fingerprint help; or does it eventually stop recognizing your print again?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes I have took a chance on a Moto g5 plus 64gb for $239. I am impressed. I don't think I would ever come down on the Honor 8 high but I'm glad I did. Motorola always made good phones and this one is GOOD!
Glad that you are enjoying it. The Moto is a great option. How is the camera compared to the honor 8?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow. That's pretty weird that the honor 8 fps worked better than the mate 9 fps for you

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully things get better with your Mate 9 - sorry if you've mentioned this earlier, but does re-registering your fingerprint help; or does it eventually stop recognizing your print again?
You can also try to register two of the same finger.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38