No Oreo for the Honor 8: thoughts?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As I still have one year left of my 2 year contract, I am certainly disappointed at this news, especially as I was looking forward to the update in the next couple of months as previously confirmed from Honor's CEO. The update issue in general really does Honor a disservice when they produce such good hardware for the money and from this thread looks like it's going to lose the company a fair number of what might otherwise be loyal customers when it comes to choosing their next phone.

But trying to be philosphical about this, since I have another year and 7 days to go, does the Honor 8 still perform with Nougat? Well, yes - it's still snappy to use, battery life is still really good, I have no hiccups with connections, it's still in great condition. It still does everything I wanted from it whan I bought it last year - but I do now feel a bit of a love/ hate relationship with it following this news. (Let's hope it's 'fake' and the CEO actually had the right info for a change!!);)

I agree with you: my Honor 8 still runs really well with Nougat - it's not like I have any complaints with its performance - it's just a bummer that it won't get Oreo.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This news only affects to people who uses the same phone for 2+ years. If you change phone every year then this doesnt impact you whatsoever. Although I agree with security updates. if they can't do 2 big os updates, the least they can do stay up to date with security updates.
The honor 5x wasn't well supported even for 1 year

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
This hasnt affected my opinion of the phone, but definitely of the company. It's making me consider jumping over to a Nokia at the end of the year when I upgrade, or maybe even spoil myself and wait for a pixel 3

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This hasnt affected my opinion of the phone, but definitely of the company. It's making me consider jumping over to a Nokia at the end of the year when I upgrade, or maybe even spoil myself and wait for a pixel 3

I agree a hundred percent: it hasn't affected my view on my phone - but it has made me disappointed in the company. Are you thinking about the Nokia 9 when it comes out?

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
it won't get Oreo update but it will emui 8 features update.
EMUI 8 is built on oreo.
EMUI 7 was the nougat build with features from 8
5430186ce41df59e5510f1d26f62dab1.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
EMUI 8 is built on oreo.
EMUI 7 was the nougat build with features from 8
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180209/5430186ce41df59e5510f1d26f62dab1.jpg
It's possible that it would get like emui 7.8, similar to when Microsoft promised wp8 on phones then reneged on some phones saying meh, we will give you wp 7.8. I was one of those who got a flagship wp phone with promise of wp 8,only to get the half measure 7.8 so it wouldn't surprise me if Huawei did a similar thing here.

Hey they can call it emui
8 or 9.or 100 if they want but I don't care, I want Android 8.0 as they committed to.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
It's possible that it would get like emui 7.8, similar to when Microsoft promised wp8 on phones then reneged on some phones saying meh, we will give you wp 7.8. I was one of those who got a flagship wp phone with promise of wp 8,only to get the half measure 7.8 so it wouldn't surprise me if Huawei did a similar thing here.

8 or 9.or 100 if they want but I don't care, I want Android 8.0 as they committed to.
The CEO specified android 8.0
Pixels will probably be in 8.2 by then.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

You have a really good point. It feels like they are just trying to throw us a bone in order to save face. But I'll try reserve my negative thinking until we know more!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You have a really good point. It feels like they are just trying to throw us a bone in order to save face. But I'll try reserve my negative thinking until we know more!
Most definitely, I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now, but I won't be buying another Huawei phone anywhere near retail until the honor 8 gets Android 8

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My security patches have only come with big updates in the UK. I'm still on the August security patch.
May be it is a uk thing. The last Android update in version number including minor and major updates was about a year ago to Android 7. The usa honor 8 has received a few security updates and software patches since then but no change in Android version, minor or major.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Most definitely, I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now, but I won't be buying another Huawei phone anywhere near retail until the honor 8 gets Android 8

Agreed... I won't be buying another Huawei phone for the next while, as well. Maybe in another two years... But we'll see.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney