No Oreo for the Honor 8: thoughts?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I sometimes do not mind if I don't get the latest updates; but in this situation, I do. It's too bad, as the Honor 8 is only about 18 months old; and therefore well within its 2-year lifespan to receive updates. That and the fact that it's not really a super old iteration makes it a tougher pill to swallow.

It won't make me change my mind about the phone and Honor - I still love my Honor 8 - but I'm definitely disappointed. And a little confused.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

ebrandwein

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
That will definitely impact my decision to purchase another one of their products. The inability to get timely software updates in Android handsets is the biggest problem the platform faces.

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Pretty disappointed in this news. Will definitely think twice before buying another honor device. Anybody know the best way to contact the company so we can vent our frustration at them?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Pretty disappointed in this news. Will definitely think twice before buying another honor device. Anybody know the best way to contact the company so we can vent our frustration at them?

Apparently one Twitter user had asked the question directly to Honor and they answered... So you could try that route as well.

Phi1

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
If true this is extremely disappointing news, coupled with the very slow security updates. I'm still on August patch, my wife has a 2 year old P8 lite and seems to get regular updates and has December patch downloaded. I'm expecting January any day. I don't think I will be getting another Honor which is unfortunate as I do like the phone itself

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
If true this is extremely disappointing news, coupled with the very slow security updates. I'm still on August patch, my wife has a 2 year old P8 lite and seems to get regular updates and has December patch downloaded. I'm expecting January any day. I don't think I will be getting another Honor which is unfortunate as I do like the phone itself

You're right, it is very disappointing news. Older phones are getting the updates - or phones released within the same time period - and the Honor 8 is left out. Very unfortunate. I agree: I love the phone itself but I'm disappointed in the company.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
That will definitely impact my decision to purchase another one of their products. The inability to get timely software updates in Android handsets is the biggest problem the platform faces.
Yeah. Not sure if they're doing this to other products.

Hmmmm decision...

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site

I couldn't agree more... on Android, there's only one choice if you want timely updates, and that's Pixel... even then, Google doesn't promise updates for nearly as long as Apple.

These issues may not matter much to the general public, but they should... security is critical and Google needs to fix this problem.

Other OEMs seem to be avoiding the requirement to incorporate Project Treble into their new releases by releasing with Nougat then quickly updating to Oreo, so there's little hope that this situation will be remedied any time soon.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't agree more... on Android, there's only one choice if you want timely updates, and that's Pixel... even then, Google doesn't promise updates for nearly as long as Apple.

These issues may not matter much to the general public, but they should... security is critical and Google needs to fix this problem.

Other OEMs seem to be avoiding the requirement to incorporate Project Treble into their new releases by releasing with Nougat then quickly updating to Oreo, so there's little hope that this situation will be remedied any time soon.

Agreed. I don't care much for having "tweaked or improved features (unless you're talking about battery life; but even then, I can usually take it or leave it);" but I draw the line at security. Security updates are crucial; especially with viruses, malware, and hacking becoming ever more prevalent. Sure, you can be careful, but you need more than just an awareness. You actually need the improved software to defend your product that you spent your hard-earned money on.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Honor 8 was a superb device. Shame that Huawei is not going to update it to Oreo.
Also besides OS updates, Huawei/Honor is terrible with putting out the security patch updates as well.
I am definitely leery of purchasing any new devices from Huawei.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
This news only affects to people who uses the same phone for 2+ years. If you change phone every year then this doesnt impact you whatsoever. Although I agree with security updates. if they can't do 2 big os updates, the least they can do stay up to date with security updates.

curlychris

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
As I still have one year left of my 2 year contract, I am certainly disappointed at this news, especially as I was looking forward to the update in the next couple of months as previously confirmed from Honor's CEO. The update issue in general really does Honor a disservice when they produce such good hardware for the money and from this thread looks like it's going to lose the company a fair number of what might otherwise be loyal customers when it comes to choosing their next phone.

But trying to be philosphical about this, since I have another year and 7 days to go, does the Honor 8 still perform with Nougat? Well, yes - it's still snappy to use, battery life is still really good, I have no hiccups with connections, it's still in great condition. It still does everything I wanted from it whan I bought it last year - but I do now feel a bit of a love/ hate relationship with it following this news. (Let's hope it's 'fake' and the CEO actually had the right info for a change!!);)