Battery issues after more than a year of usage

Ayush Rao

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I was reading the Honor 8 subreddit and found out that a few users have battery issues where the phone would shut down at 30-40%. Has this happened to anyone here especially those who have crossed the 1 year mark with the phone a while back.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Honor 8 for almost 14 months now and I've yet to experience a battery issue like that. I've noticed that my battery life - though still very good - is obviously not as great as it was a year or even nine months ago; but I've never had the phone shut down like that. Most nights I plug it in with about 18-25% left.

But yes, that is definitely a concerning issue to have. I'm curious to see if other users here have had the problem, as well.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen this issue on my honor 8 and I have had it for about 15 months.

I wonder though if this is something like the issue on the iPhones.

Regardless it is an issue for concern for sure.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to see that this issue hasn't affected any Honor 8 users here thus far! This problem did affect my then-14-month-plus BlackBerry 9780.

Ayush Rao

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Great to hear that all of u aren't facing this issue. Reading this issue scared the crap out of me since my phone is going to cross 1 year soon and I plan on using it for another year before having it replaced.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Great to hear that all of u aren't facing this issue. Reading this issue scared the crap out of me since my phone is going to cross 1 year soon and I plan on using it for another year before having it replaced.

I hear you! I'd rather have almost any other issue (lag, cracked screen, etc) than battery ones. This one sounds especially terrible. Glad you are in the clear!

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I was reading the Honor 8 subreddit and found out that a few users have battery issues where the phone would shut down at 30-40%. Has this happened to anyone here especially those who have crossed the 1 year mark with the phone a while back.

I have the same issue from time to time. It doesn't happen everyday and hasn't happened in about a month now. See my post here. https://forums.androidcentral.com/honor-8/847716-phone-shutting-down.html
On a side note, when it was around 0 degrees here and I went out to take pictures in the snow, my phone would just turn off after being out for a minute or so. I'm guessing from extreme cold?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue from time to time. It doesn't happen everyday and hasn't happened in about a month now. See my post here. https://forums.androidcentral.com/honor-8/847716-phone-shutting-down.html
On a side note, when it was around 0 degrees here and I went out to take pictures in the snow, my phone would just turn off after being out for a minute or so. I'm guessing from extreme cold?

That's so awful! I'm so sorry that is happening to you; but that's good that it hasn't happened in a while! Yes, phones shutting down in extreme cold is normal. My co-worker's iPhone shut down when it was about -26 outside. I think it also depends on things like how long the phone is outside; if it's actually exposed to the cold or put away in a purse or backpack; etc.

Ayush Rao

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
That's so awful! I'm so sorry that is happening to you; but that's good that it hasn't happened in a while! Yes, phones shutting down in extreme cold is normal. My co-worker's iPhone shut down when it was about -26 outside. I think it also depends on things like how long the phone is outside; if it's actually exposed to the cold or put away in a purse or backpack; etc.
I think it just depends on the type of battery. My friends and I went to the beach early morning one and it was around 6-7°C and their iPhones started turning off, whereas my Honor 8 and my friend's Galaxy S6 was doing just fine.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it just depends on the type of battery. My friends and I went to the beach early morning one and it was around 6-7°C and their iPhones started turning off, whereas my Honor 8 and my friend's Galaxy S6 was doing just fine.

Absolutely. There are a lot of variables to consider, for sure!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well it is specd from 32-95 F, so if you are at 0 F then it is well below the operating temperature. Heck even 0 C is literally at the limit and I wouldn't be surprised if it had problems

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That sucks. I wonder if throttling performance could help with the shut downs. I know it works on other phones.