Battery issues after more than a year of usage

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I was walking home from work and using my GPS. My battery was at about 60%. And then it just turned off! It said the battery was at 1% (it wasn't). It worked for maybe five minutes afterward and then shut down. Now it seems to be working okay... but I'm not thrilled.

Has anyone else's phone done that - turn off and then will work periodically?

Last edited:

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Okay, so I was walking home from work and using my GPS. My battery was at about 60%. And then it just turned off! It said the battery was at 1% (it wasn't). It worked for maybe five minutes afterward and then shut down. Now it seems to be working okay... but I'm not thrilled.

Has anyone else's phone done that - turn off and then will work periodically?
That's probably down to temperature. Was it cold?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I was just about to edit my post! It was -13 with the windchill; so it was probably the weather. But in the moment, I of course panicked. 🤣
That's significantly below the operating temperature so I would not be worried in this instance

Ayush Rao

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I've had my Honor 8 for almost 14 months now and I've yet to experience a battery issue like that. I've noticed that my battery life - though still very good - is obviously not as great as it was a year or even nine months ago; but I've never had the phone shut down like that. Most nights I plug it in with about 18-25% left.

But yes, that is definitely a concerning issue to have. I'm curious to see if other users here have had the problem, as well.
Turns out draining he battery to like 15% etc. every day is harmful for the battery. Not sure how but that's what I gathered from online articles.

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Turns out draining he battery to like 15% etc. every day is harmful for the battery. Not sure how but that's what I gathered from online articles.

For me that equals using my phone is harmful. I guess we're supposed to plug in before it reaches 40% or something. Crazy

Ayush Rao

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
For me that equals using my phone is harmful. I guess we're supposed to plug in before it reaches 40% or something. Crazy
Yea but that's unfortunately how our current battery technology works. It isn't a Honor specific problem. Every manufacturer faces this. Apple throttled their phones just to avoid this.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yea but that's unfortunately how our current battery technology works. It isn't a Honor specific problem. Every manufacturer faces this. Apple throttled their phones just to avoid this.

I agree with you. Plus, once a phone hits the one-year mark, there are more chances of things going wrong with them.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well it's best to keep the depth of discharge small to keep the battery in the best health

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Apple also will replace the battery for just $29 at least for this year, which I think is very reasonable

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well it's best to keep the depth of discharge small to keep the battery in the best health

I remember batteries for my BlackBerry phones being super expensive (I think one cost $80, which I didn't end up buying); so by comparison, that really is a good deal.