Ouch...cracked the front glass

wcavaliere88

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
My Honor 8 fell out of my pocket today and dropped about and foot and slid to the next step of the stairs. Long story short cracked the front glass, first phone I've done this too. Any ideas what the cost to have it repaired would be? Unless the better option would be to get a new phone.

Ayush Rao

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
My Honor 8 fell out of my pocket today and dropped about and foot and slid to the next step of the stairs. Long story short cracked the front glass, first phone I've done this too. Any ideas what the cost to have it repaired would be? Unless the better option would be to get a new phone.
Use the HiCare to get a price for the fix.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh no! I'm so sorry that happened to you! Did you purchase any kind of insurance plan with Honor when you bought your device? Either way, contact Honor customer support. Keep us posted on what happens! Also, how long have you had your phone?

wcavaliere88

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
no insurance was purchased, unfortunately. chatted with Honor, the display is $106 and the repair service is $98. looks like a new phone is the logical step. not sure what to get yet, probably not worth it to get another 8 and the 7x would be a hardware downgrade. thinking of going over to the mate line or possibly switching to another company. I like Huawei so I would prefer to stay with them. Any recommendations or knowledge of current deals anywhere

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
no insurance was purchased, unfortunately. chatted with Honor, the display is $106 and the repair service is $98. looks like a new phone is the logical step. not sure what to get yet, probably not worth it to get another 8 and the 7x would be a hardware downgrade. thinking of going over to the mate line or possibly switching to another company. I like Huawei so I would prefer to stay with them. Any recommendations or knowledge of current deals anywhere

The P20 series should be out soon; but I'm unsure of when, and since you are in need of a new phone now, it doesn't make logical sense to wait for them to come out. I'd recommend the Mate 10; but the Mate 9 is a steal now because of the 10/10 Pro being out.

If you'd like to buy a phone online, Amazon and Newegg always have good deals; especially on older models like the Mate 9.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The P20 series should be out soon; but I'm unsure of when, and since you are in need of a new phone now, it doesn't make logical sense to wait for them to come out. I'd recommend the Mate 10; but the Mate 9 is a steal now because of the 10/10 Pro being out.

If you'd like to buy a phone online, Amazon and Newegg always have good deals; especially on older models like the Mate 9.

Here's a screenshot from Newegg!

Attachments

• 40932.jpg
    40932.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 30

wcavaliere88

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I'll update with what i decide to do. The phone is unable the crack will just be annoying, so i could wait a little but if it means a better deal.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I'll update with what i decide to do. The phone is unable the crack will just be annoying, so i could wait a little but if it means a better deal.

That is great that it's still usable! I'd see what the P20 series is like! Or if the Mate 10 Pro comes out on a deal or anything!

wcavaliere88

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Only the top layer is cracked the lcd is fine..looking straight on it's appears fine it when looking at an angle. I just know it will become bothersome and sure that the crack will spread with daily use.

wcavaliere88

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
So I did decided to go with the Honor 7x. I wanted to stay with Huawei/Honor but couldn't justify spending $400 on a phone at this moment plus worth my Amazon credit I was able to pick it up for $90. Going to miss the AC wifi, USB type c and NFC but looking forward to the larger screen and camera. Maybe in a year or so I will be in a better place to spend more money on a cell phone, wasn't expecting this haha. Still keeping the 8 as a music player for my office so at least I will still have some use of it. Thanks for the thoughts.

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
So I did decided to go with the Honor 7x. I wanted to stay with Huawei/Honor but couldn't justify spending $400 on a phone at this moment plus worth my Amazon credit I was able to pick it up for $90. Going to miss the AC wifi, USB type c and NFC but looking forward to the larger screen and camera. Maybe in a year or so I will be in a better place to spend more money on a cell phone, wasn't expecting this haha. Still keeping the 8 as a music player for my office so at least I will still have some use of it. Thanks for the thoughts.

Great deal! Can't go wrong with that for $90.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

That's awesome - so glad you got a new phone! Enjoy your Honor 7X!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

That's pretty pricey but expected for the type of display on the phone. I would wait for a sale on the honor 8, if you can wait

wcavaliere88

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
That's pretty pricey but expected for the type of display on the phone. I would wait for a sale on the honor 8, if you can wait

The crack was starting to spread, so I needed something quicker. The 7x should hold me over for a little bit. I never used NFC and can survive without 5g wireless. All I do on the phone is primarily email, social media and surfing the bet so the 7x should be more than capable. Maybe in a year I can pick up a mate 10 for a good price.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The crack was starting to spread, so I needed something quicker. The 7x should hold me over for a little bit. I never used NFC and can survive without 5g wireless. All I do on the phone is primarily email, social media and surfing the bet so the 7x should be more than capable. Maybe in a year I can pick up a mate 10 for a good price.

I'm sure you'll be able to find a Mate 10 at a good price in a year's time!

wcavaliere88

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Just an update, got my 7x on Thursday. So far liking it, the 18:9 screen is definitely a plus, feels like a much more expensive device. However, I have noticed that the apps open a little slower, trying to determine if it's the device or Nova Launcher that is slowing it. It is also a little tough to get used going back to microUSB, but at least finding a cord is much easier. For the money I spent, well worth it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Just an update, got my 7x on Thursday. So far liking it, the 18:9 screen is definitely a plus, feels like a much more expensive device. However, I have noticed that the apps open a little slower, trying to determine if it's the device or Nova Launcher that is slowing it. It is also a little tough to get used going back to microUSB, but at least finding a cord is much easier. For the money I spent, well worth it.

So glad you are enjoying it! As far as your apps opening, perhaps try it without Nova as your launcher, to see if that will make a difference?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Take out insurance today, wait a few weeks then make your claim saying it's just happened.
I did exactly that a few weeks ago when I dropped my Note 8 face down onto uneven concrete and shattered the screen. It was either paying Samsung £280 to replace the screen here in the UK or pay £75 excess to make an insurance claim. Happy to say the claim went successfully(ish). The repair centre lost my phone and after a week the insurers apologised and paid £879 + the £75 excess directly into my bank account so I could go buy a brand new one myself. Instead of that though I'm buying a Mate 10 Pro which is ridiculously cheap at £530 right now and l leaves me £350 change to go with it.

Just make sure you check the terms and conditions of the insurance policy first as some state you can't make a claim for the first 90 days etc

wcavaliere88

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
So glad you are enjoying it! As far as your apps opening, perhaps try it without Nova as your launcher, to see if that will make a difference?

I have been running without Nova and still seems to open apps the same. It's not a major issue but noticable from the 8. Maybe when EMUI 8 gets released it will fix it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puiman